Talk

Advanced search

Morning sickness and impact on work - no sympathy required but anyone going through similar?

(11 Posts)
kw111 Wed 08-Jun-11 16:27:39

Hello,

I'm 8 weeks pregnant; after a couple of weeks of manageable nausea, I've spent the last 5 days actually being sick up to 4 times between 5am and midday, spending the rest of each day feeling exhausted trying to avoid being sick again, whilst attempting to keep sipping and eating little snacks to avoid getting dehydrated. I've found myself seriously having to limit any movement, and unable to read, watch telly for long or get on with even them most basic of household tasks to distract myself.

I seem to be extremely sensitive to sound, smell and motion (even having a shower seems to make me feel worse and I've been sick afterwards every time since Saturday) and have had to take the last 3 days off work.

Having gone through the HG thread, I really feel ridiculous as others seem to be going through so much worse, but that said I feel really guilty for not being able to just 'get on with it' and go to work. This morning I was in tears, feeling so despairing as I couldn't keep any food or liquid down, despite taking all the suggested steps to manage. Each time whilst lying down I thought I was okay, I'd get up and start gagging / wretching again, even though I had nothing more to bring up.

I don't feel things are bad enough to call my GP just yet, but I am getting in a panic about being unable to go to work again tomorrow.

I just wondered if anyone was able to identify with what I'm experiencing at the moment? Feeling a bit silly but equally isolated with the problem.

Thanks for reading if anything!

TallulahBetty Wed 08-Jun-11 16:54:46

I definitely had this problem early on (well still now to a lesser extent) and I can sympathise greatly.

Can I ask if you have told anyone at work? I know it's early days, but this helped me a lot as I felt like someone understood and would make accommodation and support for me when I was having a particularly bad day. x

m1nn1em0u5e Wed 08-Jun-11 17:15:05

Your post is me totally at the moment, im 6+ weeks, I had hyperemesis with my previous 2 pregnancies & feel like this one is going the same way.

I feel absolutely awful, just cant move, even though ive got so much to be getting on with & I was crying in despair last night. I work part time, but couldnt go to work yesterday either. My mother in law had my children for me yesterday & today they have been little angels playing, im feeling so guilty, but just feel so lifeless.

kw111 Wed 08-Jun-11 17:25:24

I've mentioned it to 1 person who is actually pregnant herself, but 3 weeks ahead of me. I caught her out and couldn't resist not telling her I was pg too as it's such a coincidence; but she seems to have been okay so far, and hasn't been with us long so I don't feel able to lumber her with my woes.

You have a point though; my manager has been somewhat absent for the last few months and had a new one start last Weds, so am yet to tell her but will definitely do so tomorrow, as the longer term impact of the situation is beginning to stress me out which I know won't help. I work for a very small charity and am very passionate about my work, so I find it quite distressing being unable to function as I know there is no-one to cover for me. So although I feel physically unable to even travel into work, during small moments where I feel less sick and have stopped vomiting I feel really guilty. Like having a really bad hangover and feeling awful but knowing it's self inflicted and embarrassed about being unable to function. Does that make sense?!

Thanks for your post, I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. I feel like I've collapsed at the first hurdle, which is why I'm so keen to find out about other people's experiences. x

kw111 Wed 08-Jun-11 17:33:29

m1nn1em0u5e - sorry, I missed your post there. It's the anticipation of what's to come that's as bad as feelings in the moment, isn't it?

Pleased your mother in law is there to help with your other children. I don't know how you coped with hg twice before; but you got through it, so you will again. That said, feeling so rubbish, I'm sure it feels impossible to believe it. I had no idea morning sickness could be so bad. x

roz1982 Wed 08-Jun-11 17:50:55

kw111 I have been through exactly the same things with my pregnancy - I'm 17 weeks now and have been suffering terrible sickness very consistently1 I have learnt that when you are actually being sick there is vey little you can do until you stop! There is NO WAY you can be in work whilst you are feeling the way you are feeling and it is not your fault, you can't control it. I agree with above posters the sooner you can tell someone at work, the better and they will have to understand. When I was at my worst, weeks 7-10 I was signed off work by doc. I totally understand about the guilty feelings, I'm still having the odd days off due to feeling ill and (still) being sick all day and it makes me feel very anxious. Try not to feel like this, if you were feeling well you would be in work!! Being pregnant on its own is exhausting enough, but being sick numerous times is absolutely exhausting!! I was puking ALL DAY on monday and was plagued with a banging headache, even though these symptoms had subsided by yesterday, there was no way I could have gone in to work,I was absolutely ruined!!I also had no idea morning sickness could be so bad, but it's surprising how many people suffer so much! I think as women we are made to feel like we should just be able to get on with it, but how can you when you can't stop being sick!!!! Bottom line is your health and baby's health is more important than work - do what you have to do to survive!

Grohlsgirl Thu 09-Jun-11 10:41:27

I've just read this thread and i have to be honest, i had the same symptoms and my gp diagnosed HG. The extreme sensitivity is a massive clue, and i would be asking for meds now, as well as time off to recover.

I have been off work since wk 7, now at wk 13, and just about getting back on my feet. At my worst i was only sick once or twice a day, but the overwhelming nausea meant i could not eat or drink anything, and i lost almost a stone in a fortnight. GP was fantastic, said the most dangerous thing was dehydration and packed me off with a range of meds that have slowly controlled the nausea and stopped the vomiting. Please see your GP, the quicker it is controlled, the less damaging the symptoms.
Ps guilt and feeling useless also seem to go hand in hand with HG!

kw111 Thu 09-Jun-11 16:18:16

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your experiences; it's rubbish you've all suffered from the same sort of sickness and nausea, but it's reassuring to know i'm not alone and not 'just not coping very well' by physically being unable to carry on as normal (thanks Roz1982!). I feel a bit more accepting of the situation and less guilty.

I've taken your advice; informed my new manager that I'm pregnant (unable to go in again today) and have just got back from my GP who prescribed Cyclizine and agreed to sign me off work next week if things continue as they are or get worse, which takes the pressure off a bit. That said, I hope the meds will make things more manageable. Anyone else taking this?

I hope you've not all been spending the day with your head in the toilet like I was this morning and wish you all well. x

Grohlsgirl Thu 09-Jun-11 18:01:14

I was given cyclizine which i know works for some - didn't work for me but GP said that it's a case of trying a few, and sometimes in combination. I also tried metaclopromide, but am now on prochlorperazine, promethazine and ondansetron. If they are going to work, then they will kick in very quickly (within 24 hours) so if you are still struggling then don't be worried about going back to the docs - they almost expect it! Also, it can be really worrying taking meds when pregnant, but all of these drugs are used by the OB/GYN consultants and women have been taking them for HG for a really long time

Really hope you start to feel a bit better soon, got my fingers crossed for you.

kw111 Fri 10-Jun-11 12:11:06

Thanks Grohlsgirl. After a false start this morning, feeling much better this afternoon. Got my appetite back already! One day at a time, but hopefully things will stay like this now. Got my first antenatal appointment through today too, exciting grin

I'm so glad I came onto Mumsnet and posted; I reckon I would've carried on for weeks beating myself up about it otherwise. Thanks again everyone. x

thegingerone Fri 10-Jun-11 12:31:13

I'm just "left your shoes". Week 17 and haven't vomited since week 15. Yah! Hope your ms settles down soon for you. Mine got worse before it got better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now