Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5 weeks pregnant and feeling worried

(33 Posts)
InsomniaQueen Wed 08-Jun-11 16:00:43

This is probably me being silly but I just wondered if anyone else felt like this. We have been TTC for 6 months and feel really lucky that this has happened, looking at how long it has taken other couples I definitely feel blessed. During this process my focus has been on "the second pink line"......now that I'm here I'm worried that things won't work out!!!! I have had a "chemical pregnancy" before and just soooo scared about getting excited because of how devastating it was last time.

I had a talk with the Doctor and she was pretty practical about things.....explaining that up to 2/3rds of pregnancies end in miscarriage during the first 12 weeks - nothing that the mother had done or could have done to change it......I can't say this has helped much though!!!

I have really bad insomnia normally but this is only making me worse.....please tell me I'm not going insane!!!!

Many thanks ladies
Xxxx

m1nn1em0u5e Wed 08-Jun-11 16:12:36

Your not going insane!....Im 6 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby & im still worrying like mad!...the morning noon & night sickness is kind of putting my mind at rest a little. Roll on the 12 week milestone!....x

Xiaoxiong Wed 08-Jun-11 16:14:38

Didn't want you to go unanswered - I've never had a MC myself but how well I understand that worrying (I'm 14+4 today and basically will keep worrying until the day I hold my baby I think...)

There are some lovely supportive ladies over in conception on a thread called newly updiffed after a miscarriage or something. Will find you a link.

Wormshuffler Wed 08-Jun-11 16:14:45

hi insomniaqueen
Yes this PG lark is mentalling! Insomnia is down to the hormones so is a good sign! Shame we can't just go to bed and wake up at 12weeks!

Riddzy Wed 08-Jun-11 16:15:36

2/3 of pregnancies end in miscarriage?! If this figure is even correct, I'd wager that most of these happen before you even know you're pregnant! So I wouldn't take that to heart.

Worrying is not good for you, you are not helping yourself! Although it's so easy to tell someone 'don't worry', of course.

BEST of luck to you - I'm sure you will be fine. x

Xiaoxiong Wed 08-Jun-11 16:15:37

Here it is - they seem like a lovely bunch who will understand and support you (and you too m1nn1e)

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1230086-Freak-Out-Room-For-Those-Newly-Updiffed-After-M-C-Part-VII

DialMforMummy Wed 08-Jun-11 16:17:23

Congratulations! I completely understand where you are coming from.
I did feel like this on and off and to be honest I still do. You are becoming a mother and one of the things you are going to do from now is to worry about your born or unborn child!
When I felt really tense about it, I looked around me and thought "well all these people were born, so statistically we stand a good chance!".
Hopefully things will work out you.

InsomniaQueen Wed 08-Jun-11 16:21:31

I haven't had any real sickness.....I feel nauseous on and off during the day and sometimes feel dizzy but haven't had anything so far today! The lack of "real" sickness is also worrying - it seems to be the thing all women talk about and it seems to have passed me by. Maybe its too early for me and my body is still catching up but i feel like i should feel something!!
My hubby is being very supportive (as he should be) but it's obviously hard for him to understand when it's all happening inside of me.

God I am praying for that 12 weeks scan sooo hard!!!

Wormshuffler Wed 08-Jun-11 16:22:34

I am post-MC and post chemical and cope with it by pretending I am only a little bit pregnant, and it's not real until I have a healthy 12 week scan.
I think by saying 2/3 rds they are refering to the many chem pg that happen that people who arn't ttc have. I only knew about my chemical as we were actively trying and I did a test on the day AF was due. Otherwise I wouldn't have known.

harrietlichman Wed 08-Jun-11 16:25:54

Hi
I know exactly where you are coming from - had an early m/c two years ago and now worrying about BFP just had! If you are anything like me you won't stop worrying till 12 weeks have passed - I'l see you on the link Tyelperion posted!

InsomniaQueen Wed 08-Jun-11 16:25:59

Ladies,

Thank you all so much for your kind words....we're actually off on holiday tomorrow which the Dr recommended to get me away from the stress of my job and worry about the baby!

I'm definitely glad that I can come on here and talk to people who know what I'm going through and offer some good advise....thank you all for your congratulations and good wishes!!!

Xxxx

lolajane2009 Wed 08-Jun-11 16:32:12

i can definately feel for you. I tried for 8 years for the bundle of joy inside me and have worried al the way through, especially in the first trimester because I bled.

I am now 25 + 5 and still worried. nothing much has changed and worries just change in focus a bit but never leave.

Wormshuffler Wed 08-Jun-11 16:34:12

Hate to tell you this lola, but the worry doesn't end when they are born either! get used to it for the next 40 years i reckon!

Emy84 Wed 08-Jun-11 18:02:51

I am six weeks, first pregnancy and also feeling really anxious! Not many symptoms boobs bit sore slight nausea so don't worry its not just u feeling like this. Could u ask your Dr if u could have an early scan due to the anxiety following the chemical pg? Just a thought might put you mind at rest a bit. I am paying to have a scan at 8 weeks cos I just cannot wait til 12 weeks!
Enjoy the holiday and try to relax

diddygirl Wed 08-Jun-11 19:03:38

What you are feeling is completely normal. When I had my DD 5 years ago, it was pretty much a textbook pregnancy, apart from me having hyperemesis in the 1st trimestre. Then last year I had 2 miscarriages and was devastated, thinking I'd never be able to have another baby.

Luckily I got pregnant this year and I'm now 13 weeks and completely paranoid and worried!! I'm having reassurance scans every 2 weeks because of previous mcs and every time I go I'm think they are going to give me bad news. I am worried because I so want things to work out and I don't take things for granted anymore like I did in my first pregnancy.

The first trimestre is always the hardest IMO, it's pretty much a waiting game. Worrying, although very normal, won't change anything, so try to relax and have a good holiday. I really wish I could take a bit of my own advice sometimes!!

Good luck with everything.

RickGhastley Wed 08-Jun-11 19:08:41

Ugh I posted a similar thread recently!

My GP can't refer me for an "early scan" as it would be against NHS guidelines but advised me to have a private scan at 8weeks to put my mind at rest. Is there any way you could afford a private scan op? my GP said they can cost £80-150 depending on where you go.

Sending good luck and chilled out vibes your way!

pregnantmimi Wed 08-Jun-11 19:15:03

I had a early scan at 5 weeks 6 days and saw heart beat made me feel better as MC chance drops alot Im not sure of the figures its like 1 in 12 as supposed to 1 in 4 so yes a early scan willl put your mind at rest well worth the moneyxx

InsomniaQueen Wed 08-Jun-11 20:53:04

Thanks for the advise RickGhastley - yeah the money isn't a problem I have been saving for this for a while so have enough set aside to afford it. I think I might get booked in once I get back from the holiday. I have found a few nice places close to me so I will have a talk with the hubby and go from there.

Thanks to you all
Xxxx

ToriaPumpkin Wed 08-Jun-11 21:16:38

If it makes you feel better I had practically no symptoms, on and off nausea and heartburn but never actually sick, I was sleepy and thirsty and had a blocked nose (could have been a cold) and I occasionally got dizzy. That was it right up until 15-16 weeks when I first felt the baby moving! I'm now nearly 20 weeks and being able to feel him/her moving every day is helping me panic less (although now I worry if I haven't felt anything for a while, so it really never goes away!)

kalo12 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:19:49

I have had 3 mcs. I am now 7 months pg with 2nd child and still worried. Its normal.
With this pg I didn't have any symptoms at all until 10 weeks (mild nausea), but I worried constantly that nothing was happening - that's a sign of pregnancy so Good Luck!!!!
Eat sweet potato

dinksdoes Wed 08-Jun-11 21:52:00

Try not to worry, although I know it is hard. Im two weeks overdue now, the worry doesnt really stop, but those first weeks feel so unreal. I didnt have any morning sickness, slight sore boobs but no other signs atall and had extremely painful cramp low down on the left side for a while. I was so worried something was wrong the doc did send me for an early scan. If you are worried go for a scan, but worry throughout pregnancy is very normal i think. You end up counting the weeks between midwife appointments so you can hear that heart beating. I didnt feel any movements till around 25 weeks either so that was a worry too!Now Im worried as im overdue! Can feel baby moving everyday so that puts my mind at ease. Remember there is not much you can do and worrying doesnt really help anyone, so try as much as you can to relax.

Clairebaby Wed 08-Jun-11 22:12:50

I'm writing on behalf of my wife as she's so tired she's gone to bed already. We've been trying to conceive for 3 1/2 years and had a failed cycle of IVF in April 2011. Incredibly we've managed to conceive naturally this month, we're 5 weeks on Thursday and have our visit to the GP for confirmation. My wife has just developed a cold ( I'm blaming a wet and cold Manchester and a Take That concert for that) anyway what pain relief (for a headache) can she take during the early stages of pregnancy, is paracetamol ok? Also she's commented on having some white-ish discharge and is obviously concerned, anybody out there got any ideas what this might be and whether we should be concerned.

dinksdoes Wed 08-Jun-11 22:39:02

Paracetamol is fine, I also found headeaze rally good, that balm type stuff you rub on your temples. Not sure about the discharge, but when i have had it over the last 42 weeks, Midwife just asked if it was itchy and if yellow/green down there, if not then prob ok, but best to get checked out. I had 3 bouts of urine infections over christmas and was very worried, had to go on anti biotics for 3 weeks, but all seems fine with baby. Lots of rest will help. Think pregnant women are very prone to illness. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon

Xiaoxiong Thu 09-Jun-11 08:51:29

Clairebaby, cosigning all advice given above by dinksdoes - I've had whiteish discharge throughout my pregnancy so far and midwife said the same thing to me, nothing to worry about unless itchy and darker.

I've had so many colds throughout my pregnancy - the only thing that's helped is drinking water until I felt like bursting, paracetamol, olbas oil on a tissue inhaled regularly, olbas oil in a bowl of boiling water and inhaling the steam, and hot showers to dislodge all the crap in my sinuses.

phlossie Thu 09-Jun-11 12:33:39

I'm 4 weeks pregnant with my 3rd (no miscarriages, touch wood, thank goodness), but I'm still cacking it. In fact it's worse this time than with the other two - with my 1st I had no idea how many people miscarried, with my 2nd I was too knackered to really think about it. I've done 5 pregnancy tests!

I think you've just got to try and be zen about it. 12 weeks seems like ages away, but it'll be here soon enough! And once that's past you'll worry about other things instead. I think part of motherhood is coping with worry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now