Talk

Advanced search

Possibly TMI - discharge or loss of amniotic fluid

(7 Posts)
Blobby11 Wed 08-Jun-11 13:59:34

Hi
I'm 29 weeks and have had a lot of discharge throughout my pregnancy but recently it has really increased. I've now started worrying that it's not discharge but amniotic fluid.
How can I tell?
Thanks

going Wed 08-Jun-11 14:00:18

Ask a midwife to check for you, they won't mind and it will igve you peace of mind.

nannyl Wed 08-Jun-11 14:09:36

I think amniotic fluid has a distinctive smell

no idea what it smells like but it might give you a clue?

silverangel Wed 08-Jun-11 14:46:31

Apparently it smells sweeter than wee / discharge?

NatzCNL Wed 08-Jun-11 14:50:26

Amniotic fluid has a very distinct smell, not yucky but very bodily and sweet, it's very hard to describe, but once you know the smell, you know it. You wouldn't mistake it with wee. I would speak to your midwife if you are concerned, even mildly. They deal with these questions every day so wont be shocked or dismiss your concerns, it's part of their care to explore any worrys and put your mind at rest/deal with any problems.

Blobby11 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:44:58

Thanks everyone. There isn't a distinctive smell so it's probably fine but I'll give the midwife a call just to make sure

PrincessJenga Wed 08-Jun-11 22:30:52

I had the same at about 28 weeks. Totally freaked me out! I saw my doc the next day and she said there wasn't much she could do. She did an internal exam and checked cervix was still closed but said there was no way for her to check herself if I'd lost fluid (not the right equipment in doc's surgery). Apparently midwives have 'amniosticks' which can check whether a discharge is amniotic fluid or something else so she said if it happens again to phone maternity triage and insist on being checked. The other altertnative is a scan, but I doubt many docs/midwives would send you for one unless they were pretty sure you'd lost fluid (I could be wrong!)

Um, in a nutshell, I'd call midwife and ask for their advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now