Talk

Advanced search

which carrycot?

(13 Posts)
supadupapupascupa Wed 08-Jun-11 11:59:41

Hi there,

Just planning ahead grin. I'm only 8 weeks but am thinking about where the baby will be sleeping already.

We have a moses basket, but i will be leaving that upstairs as it is a family heirloom and i have a very active toddler who i am afraid may damage it.

So what to pop the baby into downstairs? We already have a nice pram but i'm not keen on leaving a baby in the pram for too long as i don't think they are designed for this. (please correct me if i'm wrong)
So i was toying with the idea of getting another moses basket, but then remember that they don't last long and i would still have the problem of where to put the baby once it had grown a bit.
I am now convinced that getting a carrycot is the way forward, with a proper mattress. It would also be useful when visiting as we can pop it in the car. I don't need a chassis with it because i have a pram already.

Which one should i choose? i honestly have NO idea!

TIA

Saffra Wed 08-Jun-11 13:30:59

I'm getting a carrycot (an accessory to the buggy I'm buying) for downstairs, as getting a bedside crib for upstairs.

If you were planning to get the carrycot anyway, then I'd say just go with this. The baby soon outgrows this, so best to make the most of the purchase!

Alternatively, if you plan to be outdoors a lot in the rainy months (!), then you might be worried about the carrycot getting damp. In which case, you can pick up a moses basket on ebay/NCT, etc. I'm not particularly worried about this though!

supadupapupascupa Wed 08-Jun-11 14:27:39

hiya

I don't want to take the carrycot out particularly (just when visiting in the car) so not worried about damp. I just want something for baby to sleep in downstairs. Moses basket wont last 5 mins..... are carrycots quite small too?

SpannerPants Wed 08-Jun-11 15:23:24

We've got a travel cot downstairs - nothing fancy but it does have a clip-on changing area for the top which I thought would be handy during the day so I don't have to keep going upstairs to change nappies!

PrincessScrumpy Wed 08-Jun-11 15:58:51

I'd get a travel cot - will last you and be great for travelling. Also handy to use as a playpen if you need to go out of the room as older siblings can't always be trusted smile

thisisyesterday Wed 08-Jun-11 16:02:35

do you mean getting a carrycot that's normally part of a pram??

in general they're also quite small, not hugely bigger than a moses basket tbh

if your pram lies flat then baby will be fine in there I am sure.

otherwise i'd go for a compact travel cot as others have suggested

buttonmoon78 Wed 08-Jun-11 16:29:43

I agree. My carry cot is not really bigger than a basket. I'd be happy using a fully lie flat pram or a travel cot if you have space.

supadupapupascupa Wed 08-Jun-11 18:05:49

hmm perhaps i should just use the pram then. and perhaps get a second hand basket for downstairs.....

cailin1974 Wed 08-Jun-11 18:11:27

I spent lots of money on a maclaren carrycot attachment for same idea of sleeping downstairs- he lasted 6 weeks before he outgrew it - so a huge waste of money on our part! DS has been napping/playing since in a travel cot and it is so much better esp if like me you have an active toddler - baby can nap in there and you can be safe in knowledge when your back turned etc baby is safe from boisterous play/curiosity unlike the few near mishaps we had with carrycot.
Congrats!

WinterLover Wed 08-Jun-11 19:22:08

Ive got a travel cot with bassinet part too it for downstairs, that was I have somewhere safe to plonk baby if I need to nip out the room plus it can come with us when we stay away from the night.

nicolamumof3 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:43:59

if you're pram is lie flat than baby will be find sleeping in that downstairs.

Im not a fan of moses baskets find them outgrown within weeks. Im intending on putting this baby straight into cot (in our room) for naps and night time sleeps from word go tbh this is dc4 and due just before summer hols, napping downstairs with three boisterous brothers not really an option!

kalo12 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:47:01

i had a carry cot for mountain buggy. lasted til six months, baby always slept well in it cos mb is so comfy and you just walk them a little bit in it and they sleep!
moses basket was only big enough for 3 months

bilblio Wed 08-Jun-11 22:02:41

We had a carrycot as part of DD's pram. We just used that for sleeping, she didn't have a moses basket. We used it for about 4 or 5 months, then she went into her cot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now