Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear for swimming?

(16 Posts)
FessaEst Tue 07-Jun-11 22:44:00

I managed in my last pregnancy with a hand-me-down maternity tankini, but bump is a very different shape this time, and the tankini top just rides up and is uncomfortable. I only have a few weeks to go, so don't want to spend loads, but fancy a nice all in one - any recommendations?

FirstimeMummy Tue 07-Jun-11 22:50:51

what about a maternity swimming costume? mothercare do nice ones, or just browse online? x

benne81 Wed 08-Jun-11 08:53:16

Next has some good options

MamaLaMoo Wed 08-Jun-11 09:42:26

Bikini, have huge boobs and long body so need the bra-like support and swimming costumes are always too short in the body.

Bravissimo have them in a big range of sizes and some come with pants that have a band which rolls up over your tummy if you wish to hide more of the bump.

nannyl Wed 08-Jun-11 09:51:59

i wear a maternity swimming costume from mothercare

KatieWatie Wed 08-Jun-11 10:15:39

Good question, I'm off on holiday in a few weeks and was planning on just wearing a normal bikini... is this frowned upon?? I HATE swimming costumes with a passion and I really don't want to get one sad My biscuitbiscuit aren't that much bigger than normal.

FWIW my 80 year old MIL has bought a bikini to wear whilst we are away, so I don't see why I shouldn't either right?

unbelievabledarco Wed 08-Jun-11 10:19:42

While you're shopping, anyone seen any nice swimming hats, please?

Renaissance227 Wed 08-Jun-11 10:42:44

Lol at KatieWatie. 80 year old MIL in a bikini grin

KatieWatie Wed 08-Jun-11 10:49:57

Yeah, I sort of can't wait!!

crazyhead Wed 08-Jun-11 15:10:14

I just got a Speedo one called Grace. It is black, plain, nice and good for lengths and seemed to me better quality than lots of them. What with my burgeoning bosoms I was worried about a Carry On film moment. http://www.simplyswim.com/products/Speedo/GraceMaternity1Piece.aspx

There is a 30% off voucher code for Speedo till the end of June if you spend £30 at http://www.beforeishop.co.uk/voucher-codes/speedo-voucher-codes/ so it works out quite cheap. It also applies to hats, I got a long hair hat from the same place and others don't stay on me

RugbyWidow7 Wed 08-Jun-11 17:38:13

Hello - I wore a bikini on holiday at 5.5 months and felt fine.

Also swim at home a lot so bought a lovely Mamas and papas polka dot swimming costume, which they are selling now. Only thing I would say is that being tall and low fronted, the bigger I'm getting (now 7.5 months) the lower it's getting at the front. Don't think a person of 'normal' height would have this problem though. wink

dizzy77 Wed 08-Jun-11 18:20:01

I second crazyhead on the speedo Grace: I was lane swimming a couple of times a week right up to due date so it was worth the investment at full price. (I also didn't know long hair hats existed - thx crazy!).

BUT, for pool posing/gentle swimming, I wore my normal halterneck bikini when I visited a spa at 28 wks. My bump could withstand showing off at that stage though I wouldn't have risked freestyling in it as even pushing off the side I was at risk of loosing my pants blush!

FessaEst Wed 08-Jun-11 18:52:29

Thanks all, great tips - am off to browse.

Crazy thanks for the voucher code - every penny counts at the moment.

I really can't wear a bikini - this is DC2 so my crepy stretch marks from last time are in evidence, and I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

Katie - go for it. I was very envy at a couple of women in my aquanatal class last week who were wearing itsy-bitsy bikinis and looked fab. Wish I could!

crazyhead Wed 08-Jun-11 19:01:46

Just to say that the voucher code has to be used at the speedo store - my post was a bit confusing

http://store.speedo.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Home_10151_10202_-1?locale=en-uk

@dizzy77 - long hair caps are really helpful, esp if you experience the hat pings off every few lengths!

unbelievabledarco Thu 09-Jun-11 00:15:31

Thanks, Crazyhead. smile

fraktious Thu 09-Jun-11 00:58:50

I wore my bikini right up to the end. I thought I looked relatively good for someone who was 40 weeks, although the alien limb effects may have been disconcerting for everyone else around me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now