Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

GD in late pregnancy - is this likely?

(3 Posts)
PrincessOfWails Tue 07-Jun-11 20:35:35

So, I'm 35 weeks pg with my 2nd.
Midwife saw me 3 weeks ago, and I had sugar (glucose?) in my urine. But I had eaten a massive amount of sugar blush and she said it was probably down to that.
Yesterday I saw her because I had seemingly had a show. She wondered whether this show was actually thrush (I'm doubtful, but I'm not a medical expert!). I had blood and sugar in my sample this time. She said this would be consistent with thrush, so I'm getting a pessary.

Thing is... Would I be likely to start developing GD now? And should I be worrying or doing something?

Other lovely symptoms include my wee smelling sweet if I've had a lot of sugar.

mummysweeangel1 Wed 08-Jun-11 10:20:17

Hi princessOfWails -

i am 36 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed only 2 weeks ago with GD- i am now on insulin injections 4 times a day as of yesterday (was started on metformin last week but it wasnt doing anything at all for me other than give me runs and sickness)

i was told its definetly not uncommon for people to develop GD this late in pregnancy - your midwife should have suggested a fasting blood test to determine the sugar in the blood ? what have they said ?

hope your well

PrincessOfWails Wed 08-Jun-11 15:30:41

Thanks for that!
Well, she said she'll check me in a week and if it's still sugar, then GD testing it is. But there was the other issue - the show which may have been thrush! I'm assuming that there wasn't masses of glucose in my urine.
She's a pretty good midwife; mind you, I'm still worrying!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: