Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Depression in pregnancy

(11 Posts)
lucky24 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:04:32

Hi, I came of my anti depressants in feb ready to ttc (DC2). I am now 9 weeks pregnant and got made redundant 4 weeks ago. My depression is definitely back, i don't want to go back on anti depressants due to the risk for baby.

I was hoping someone may have some advice on coping with depression in pregnancy.

Thanks

singwhenyourwinning Tue 07-Jun-11 20:19:21

I think you're really brave to try without AD's for your baby. I dont have experience in pregnancy, but in the past i have found the book "how to break out of the prison" by dorothy rowe massively helpful in helping myself to beat depression. I tried to remember that the AD's are there to help you feel able to fix yourself, they dont fix you.

reallygrumpy Tue 07-Jun-11 20:32:37

Hi, why don't you go and see your GP and ask if s/he can refer you for either counselling or cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)? I've had CBT in the past for anxiety and found the techniques I learned really useful.

newartriotstar Tue 07-Jun-11 20:33:51

My depression has been creeping in since I've been pregnant and I mentioned this to my midwife. They have made an appointment with a consultant for me to talk through my options, my history and the support available. I've got to wait a while for my appointment though sad

rachyaimeelou Tue 07-Jun-11 20:40:22

hi lucky, how are u hun?

iv been on citlopram since the beginning of my pregnancy, i was doing brilliantly but now i feel rubbish again, i dont no if its because my body has become to use to them or if its my hormones.

have a chat with your midwife hun and see wat she can offer to you.
take care xx

singwhenyourwinning Tue 07-Jun-11 20:49:16

Don't forget that a healthy, balanced mum-to-be who eats well and feels well is important too and so sometimes the balance is in favour of using medication. If you need it to stay well then dont feel guilty, just get good advice on the safest ones

lucky24 Tue 07-Jun-11 21:08:40

Thanks for the replies

I have spoken to the midwife already and she has referred me to the perinatal support team, but it may be a while before they get in touch.

I will have a look for that book, thanks

KatyN Wed 08-Jun-11 08:28:12

I have a history of depression and was advised to keep on my AD while pregnant( well basically for the rest of my like but being pregnant fits into that!). I've split my dose so the baby doesn't get a big kick of medicine at the beginning of the day.
Go easy on yourself and do think hard whether no meds is best for you and your baby.

take care,
katy

oh.. and I think if you mention depression to your MW they automatically refer you to social services. don't be freaked out.. it's not just you!!

crystal1986 Wed 08-Jun-11 13:13:00

Hi i am having the same problem i had to come off of ADs when i found out was pregnant and my doctor refuses to put me back on ADs but i spoke to my midwife who said she was going to refer me to the perinatel wellbeing clinic that was 3 weeks ago i hadnt heard anything so i rang them today and was told they hadnt had any referals!!! They took my details and will be getting in touch iv tried councelling before etc but it doesnt help its not a change in attitude that i need i just dont want to feel like i want scream with rage all the time! Because when i do loose my temper with my dd i then cry and feel as though she and the baby im carrying would be better off without me. I go to bed thinking tomorrow will be different and then i wake up with the hump again the only time i feel 'normal' is when on ADs i just hope they can prescribe me something but would be worried about the risks. Thank you for your comments.

crazyhead Wed 08-Jun-11 14:14:15

Hi - I don't have depression, but I have just had to cope with my mum's very recent diagnosis of terminal illness (am nearing 18 weeks) and am pretty low and upset (know it isn't the same thing btw).

I reckon it might be worth pushing your MW/GP to make sure you are getting the help you need as care is pretty patchy - when I mentioned my issues to the MW she was like 'oh that's a shame dear, but you're fine apart from that eh?'

I assume this is because I am a relatively well to do person in a central London borough with a lot of deprivation, and they doubtless see all sorts of horrible situations. So do ask what your support options are and be pushy if you can. Take care

crystal1986 Wed 08-Jun-11 22:38:31

Im so sorry to hear about your mum crazyhead when i hear things like that it makes me feel my problems are nothing in comparison i hope you manage to get some help maybe ask your gp to refer you to a councellor that may help. Take care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: