Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Lump?!?!

(4 Posts)
yaimee Tue 07-Jun-11 14:52:32

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I'm a little bit embarrassed...
I'm 11 weeks pregnant and this morning I woke up to find quite a large swollen lump underneath the skin on my areola. It's quite warm to the touch and is tender. I thought to begin with that it could be a swollen gland, and that it would go down pretty quickly but I'm not so sure now, because it's quite large and had a couple of glands on top of it which look fine.
Has anyone had anything similar or maybe knows what it might be and weather I should see a doctor?
Thanks for your help x

rooks14 Tue 07-Jun-11 15:31:26

Not sure if its the same thing, but I got a lump on my boob about 11 weeks in, around the same place you're saying. I went to the doctor and she said that pregnancy and a baby is what your boobs were designed for so there's lots of weird things can happen...

She said it didn't look like a blocked duct or anything, and that I should come back after I've had by baby (am 32 weeks) to see if it's gone before they'll do a biopsy etc! I've also found it goes down at night and gets harder during the day...

Sorry to not be of help, but I'd like to know if anyone else knows what it is!

mummylin2495 Tue 07-Jun-11 15:58:24

i would pop along to your doctor just to have it checked out.Its probably nothing but then you can stop worrying about it.

CBear6 Tue 07-Jun-11 17:24:58

I had two lumps in my last pregnancy. The first turned out to be a skin-tag that had gotten irritated and swelled up, right on the end of my nipple and it hurt so much!

The second was under the skin and about the size of a pea, it was also tender to touch and I was terrified it meant the big C. I went to the doctor, she had a look/feel and told me that from the shape and texture she was certain it was a cyst (apparently when pressed they have a slightly squishy feel). She said they're often triggered by hormonal changes so are common in pregnancy or just before the start of a period and that it would go away on it's own within a week or two (and if it didn't to go back to get it drained).

It did go away and it was fine but still scary at the time. Your lump is probably nothing but personally I would get any sort of breast lump checked just to be safe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: