Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a UTI that won't shift with antibiotics?

(5 Posts)
nunnie Tue 07-Jun-11 14:32:50

I was admitted to hospital with acute pyelonephritis after 3 days in hospital I was finally discharged with antibiotics decided on after discussion with microbiologist. I was told from day 1 I would be on IV antibiotics then transferred to oral for 10-14 days. When I got them it was only a 7 day course. Took them as prescribed, and still found I had urgent need to wee without warning urine smelled and was very strong.
I had a sample tested on the 2nd again and have just rung for results and the Doctor has requested another sample. I am taking on in tomorrow as can't get in there today, but am a little worried about the delay if there is still an infection, as this will have been going on since the middle of may if it is still the same infection and I really don't want to end up back in hospital because it has been left too long.

Does anyone know if it is likely to be the same infection or another one? Could I just be unlucky and be prone to getting them now?
I am sure the Doctor would ring me if they were worried themselves I am just having a panic as I really don't fancy ending up so unwell I have to have a critical nurse again and the worry that came with it all.

nunnie Tue 07-Jun-11 19:51:30

Spoke to practice nurse and apparently the results said traces of bacteria but unable to confirm if UTI or not, hence the resample.

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jun-11 19:54:38

I did have a similar problem and what they had to do was find an antibiotic that was more suitable (sounds like they've done that already) and I took it for 2 weeks instead of 1 week.

I know my Mum became prone to UTIs after having one and I think they said it was possible for this to happen. She ended up with a low dose of longterm antibiotics. 6 months I think and that helped. She then kept a preventative dose in the cupboard to tackle it at the first sign of it coming back.

nunnie Tue 07-Jun-11 20:12:49

I did have a couple with with DS, but this one didn't really give me a decent warning before it attacked my kidney so I am petrified it will happen again.
Got a hospital appointment at 28 weeks, so if this comes back positive for an infection I think I will speak to the Consultant and see if there is anything they can suggest.
Maternity wards are lovely but they aren't the best place to be when you are ill to the point where you have a critical nurse and anaethatist and a consultant discussing some horrible scenarios and all you can hear is babies crying.

Dartfordmummy Tue 07-Jun-11 21:44:34

It took over 6 months of constant UTI's to get my antibiotics right. I eventually had to take Cefalexin for the rest of my pregnancy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now