Talk

Advanced search

Bugaboo Bee+ Any good off road? Need a carrycot?

(28 Posts)
AgBag Tue 07-Jun-11 14:27:50

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a Bugaboo Bee+ but am not sure if it will be up to occasional walks across a grassy park and off-road dog walking.

Also, for a newborn is it better to have a flat bassinet/carrycot? Although the Bee says its suitable for newborn it doesn't lie 100% horizontal and I don't think it has a detachable carrycot. Is it better to get a detachable carrycot for a newborn? Are they useful?

Can anyone with experience offer any advice?

Thank you!

Parietal Tue 07-Jun-11 14:31:01

I have a bee with the phil&ted carry cot rather than the bee baby nest. Works great.

I don't do much off road with it but am fine on bumpy pavement. I use a sling on country walks.

AgBag Tue 07-Jun-11 14:33:14

Thanks Parietal oh thats interesting. I didn't think of attaching carry cots from other makes.
Can I ask, why do you prefer a carry cot to the nest? What are the advantages?

nannyl Tue 07-Jun-11 15:18:23

have only pushed a bee a little bit. (but in over 10 years of nannying have used loads and loads of buggys!)

i cant see it being a good off road pushchair to be honest.
If one of your main criteria is want to use it off road you need to think about something else!

AgBag Tue 07-Jun-11 15:22:50

Well... its not a main criteria, but its something we might occasionally do. But could always use a sling.

AgBag Tue 07-Jun-11 15:23:16

Well... its not a main criteria, but its something we might occasionally do. But could always use a sling.

Parietal Tue 07-Jun-11 20:50:30

The bee baby nest needs the baby to be strapped in with big ugly straps and can only be used in the bee.

A carrycot can be lifted out of the buggy with a sleeping baby still asleep, can be used as a travel cot (for baby under 3 months) and baby doesn't need any ugly straps. So much more flexible.

My bee is fine on grass in city parks. Haven't tried it on country fields.

Eskarina Wed 08-Jun-11 10:59:27

Parietal how does the P&T carrycot attach to the bee? Is it via the car seat adapters?

Katiebeau Wed 08-Jun-11 11:33:25

Hello - I use our Bee all the time. Mostly town/city walking but also river paths, beaches etc over the past 2 years. Just loack the front wheels, it works fine. If you are doing a lot of "rough" terrain then no, it won't do. Not sure about "ugly straps". Personnel taste but I had no issue with them. I liked that she was secure.

reallygrumpy Wed 08-Jun-11 11:48:05

It might be bigger than you want but I've got a Britax Vigour (which comes in both a 3 wheel and 4 wheel version) and it's fantastic. It has a carrycot and then a seat and my 3 wheeled version was fine on country walks plus lots of room underneath for shopping etc.

tiokiko Wed 08-Jun-11 12:09:36

It's brilliant on pavements/paths but just OK on grass. We had the Cameleon when DD was a baby and I really loved the carrycot/lie flat option, was great for travelling as we could use it instead of a travel cot, v long so lasted until she was sitting up properly.

We got the Bee+ when she was about 15m and used it all the time from then - would have sold the Cameleon but planned to get PG again and will use it when DC2 arrives in Oct. Will then sell the Cameleon as they hold their price pretty well.

Bee+ is great in all other ways, v lightweight, easy to manoeuvre etc, would really recommend it but think I'd prefer a carrycot for newborn.

cleverything Wed 08-Jun-11 12:26:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaWeasel Wed 08-Jun-11 12:37:53

I have never found a carrycot particularly useful. If DD was still asleep when we got back to the house I just left her in the pram until she woke up. I'm not sure what people do with carrycots tbh...

The bee does lie flat enough, you have to pass all sorts of tests to make age claims about babies, so it is absolutely safe.

If you were doing a lot of off-terrain I would go for a 3 wheeler.

AgBag Wed 08-Jun-11 16:29:10

Ok, mixed opinions here then. Thanks so much for your comments.

mamaesi Wed 08-Jun-11 18:45:01

i love the bee!!! best buggy in the world in my opinion. get the bee cocoon and then newborn is flat, cosy and sleeps like a dream.

i took it all over hampstead heath so in my opinion its fine on grass,etc..

although as someone else mentioned you may find country hikes, stuff with a dog...a good baby carrier is better. i used a combination of both.

Coppernoddle Wed 08-Jun-11 19:35:16

I've just bought the new Phil and teds smart buggy! It's amazing! And it comes with an attachable carrycot and you can attach a maxi cosi car seat too! It's so well made, really sturdy buggy and the seat units ace! It's jet washable rubber sponge!

Parietal Wed 08-Jun-11 19:58:49

eskarina the carrycot doesn't attach properly, I just squeeze it in and it stays. So cot & baby could in theory slide out on a steep hill, but would have to fall onto my knees as I walk along. But I reckon that is pretty unlikely.

Bee is great - mine is now used for dd2 and I still love it.

nicolamumof3 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:39:01

Parietal do you mean the p&t cocoon? its not a carrycot tho is it? its a soft cocoon type, no seperate mattress and not suitable for overnight sleeping?

I have the same dilema atm. I have a micralite superlite that i was hoping to get carrycot for, they are bringing out a new version which is due next month..same time as my baby!

I also bought a bee+ with the intention of using once the cc had been outgrown on micralite and before i wanted to use forward facing stroller. so 6-18m ish. However now that im not sure i will be getting the carrycot intime, i've just bought cocoon for bee+ to use from birth. But still not convinced tbh, i do prefer a proper carrycot.

Coppernoddle Wed 08-Jun-11 22:33:59

The Phil and teds smart buggy has a carrycot called the peanut carrycot, which is a propper carry cot but is also calapsable for small spaces. But is extremely sturdy just like any other carrycot.

AgBag Thu 09-Jun-11 10:06:34

Its a minefield! So many options!

urbandaisy Thu 09-Jun-11 14:01:38

LaWeasel, carrycots can be a godsend for those who don't live in full-scale houses and/or have to negotiate stairs to get to where they live.

I'm getting one with a carrycot, based on friends' experiences, as even to get into the front door of our building is up eight stairs, and then our flat itself is on the second floor. Not going to leave the baby either on the street or in the communal area.

Back on topic -- I test-drove a friend's Bee but didn't totally love it and the suspension was one of the reasons.

AgBag Mon 13-Jun-11 12:13:15

Well... I've finally made a decision and decided to order the Bugaboo Cameleon!

Thanks everyone for your tips

MissTea Tue 21-Jun-11 14:24:04

Parietal, I am delighted to hear of someone who is doing the bee plus p&t cocoon thing (is that what you mean, by the way? The soft sports bag style carry cot that goes with the p&t double buggy?), as I had had the same idea but wasn't sure if it would work / would need to be strapped in etc.

I am expecting my second baby next month and I have a bee I've used for dd1 (and loved btw, OP. Best buggy there is in my opinion). I am reluctant to buy a p&t double buggy as they're so expensive and also so big and unwieldy after the nippy little bee, but living in a first floor flat, I really need a way of transporting sleeping baby from buggy to flat (spent hours sitting in the stairwell with dd1 asleep in buggy, which of course wouldn't be possible this time round, nor desirable! Wish I'd thought of this solution last time.) I have a bee cocoon which I've barely used. Total waste of money!

MissTea Tue 21-Jun-11 17:23:12

Also, Parietal (if you're out there!), which phil and teds cocoon do you use? There seems to be loads of different types and I'm not sure which ones would fit in the bee (I've got the older model, not the bee+).

Thanks!!

Gingerbreadlatte Wed 10-Oct-12 21:00:42

re-bumping this thread.

Parietal- are you still around? Anyone else use a cocoon with a Bee? I am really keen to do this but wonder about it being unattached...

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now