Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Really horrible pain top side of rib cage?

(13 Posts)
prolificwillybreeder Tue 07-Jun-11 14:15:49

34 weeks and at the top of the right side of my ribcage -where your bra would go, my ribs hurt, a lot.
I'm not wearing a bra because of the pain and I know it's not because of the bra as only recently been fitted.

Anyone had this? I would quite like it to go away!

Tia smile

buttonmoon78 Tue 07-Jun-11 14:19:06

Which way up is your baby? Mine is currently breech/transverse and his head is constantly butting up against my ribs. It hurts a lot and I find myself leaning back to accomodate it shich is no good for my back smile

Eglu Tue 07-Jun-11 14:21:10

It could also be a foot in your ribs. I had this with DS1 and currently with this baby too.

strandednomore Tue 07-Jun-11 14:23:05

Dd1 was breech and I had this pain constantly. Worth getting checked - you really don't want to find you have a breech baby when you are in labour!

fishcakefoxtrot Tue 07-Jun-11 14:33:34

Hi, it could be a foot wedged under your ribs. Dd liked to do this, usually if I pressed on it a bit I could persuade her to move enough to ease it at least!

Could it be muscle pain? I have a friend who is really small chested when not pregnant or breastfeeding and the rapid expansion of her breasts gave her some sort of muscle injury! She had to wear a sling for a while, which helped.

However, and I really don't want to panic you, significant pain in the right hand side can be a symptom of HELLP. If you think the pain is not within the bounds of normal, and particularly if you have any nausea/ vomiting, you should definitely see your midwife.

Hope it goes away soon!

Pippaandpolly Tue 07-Jun-11 14:40:30

I've got this and wondered if the baby was in an odd position but my midwife today said she's in way below where it hurts. It usually only hurts in the evenings for me, but I agree it's very painful. Sorry not to have useful advice - just sympathy!

DomesticGoddess31 Tue 07-Jun-11 18:38:56

I'm 34 weeks and have this too - gets worse over course of the day, I was thinking it might be feet wedged under my ribs. I'll ask my midwife at my apptmt on Friday and report back.

AJH2007 Tue 07-Jun-11 19:23:42

34 weeks and me too - high up on the right side only - I saw a consultant a few weeks ago for something else and mentioned it; he said there is a big area of cartilage around the rib cage which can be affected by relaxin. Not much to be done about it, from the sound of it. Coincidentally (or not) my baby is also breech with head on the right side...

emoo777 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:09:50

I had this during my first pregnancy and it drove me crazy but it was just stretching going on. Painful though. My baby was head down back-to-back but don't think in my case it had anything to do with position.

prolificwillybreeder Tue 07-Jun-11 20:11:41

Thanks for your replies.
As far as I know he's head down.
It's on both sides now. He is movey and I feel fine so hopefully all is ok.
I did have this last time with DS, maybe my ribcage makes for a comfy spot.
I'm seeing mw on Thurs so will ask her then.
Will keep you posted

spilttheteaagain Wed 08-Jun-11 19:28:40

Oh thank God it's not just me.

Horrible pain just under my right breast, gets worse as the day goes on. Often tender to touch in the evening and I have to stretch out backwards/horizontal to relieve it. Sometimes get matching pain directly through on my back.

I am 29+3 today.

Baby has been breech the whole way so far (and still was at my 28 week scan) so it could be her head up there I suppose.

Sometimes when I'm sat at my desk and leaning forwards slightly the whole area sort of quivers/goes into spasm.

I sincerely hope she goes head down and it improves.

Pippaandpolly Thu 09-Jun-11 09:46:42

Hi Spilt smile I wondered if it was anything to do with the baby being breech but at my most recent midwife appointment she said the baby was lying sideways far below my ribs. It's definitely worse when I lean forwards. I googled the HELLP syndrome someone mentioned above and all the symptoms are things that you're fairly likely to have anyway while pregnant, which means I immediately panicked and convinced myself I've got it. I'd advise NOT looking it up!

spilttheteaagain Thu 09-Jun-11 16:54:46

pippa I did just the same - googled, panicked, convinced myself I had pre eclampsia 2 nights ago. Mind you yesterday I panicked and convinced myself I was in early labour. Neurotic is not the word!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: