Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just cannot face work...

(12 Posts)
roz1982 Tue 07-Jun-11 12:30:38

Im almost 17 weeks and still feeling really ill alot of the time, plagued with sickness and headaches and feeling exhausted and down alot of the time. I've already had a couple of weeks off work and have been off for the past two days - just too ill to go in. My job is demanding (teacher) and the circumstances at work at the moment aren't the best - we are in the process of moving schools and everything is just a bit of a nightmare. The people I work with are supportive but obviously I feel guilty for being a pain. I just want to feel well again and I know there isn't really a solution for this problem - I really wish work would just disappear! Just had to get this off my chest...

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Jun-11 12:35:59

Can you get signed off ? I had 8 weeks off in both pg and I have a desk job.

roz1982 Tue 07-Jun-11 12:47:27

Yeah I reckon I could - I'm feeling very torn between really wanting to just get on with things in a normal manner and feeling horribly sorry for myself because I feel so bloody ill! It doesn't help that work starts so EARLY!!! have to be in for 8-8.20am most days which is just a bad bad struggle!!

roz1982 Tue 07-Jun-11 12:47:55

I am sorry - this thread is just about complaining really!

icravecheese Tue 07-Jun-11 13:01:07

Hiya,
I was like you in my first pregnancy.... stressful job, long commute, couldnt face doing stuff at work as I felt so grotty. I never once complained to my boss, just sort of got on with it, whilst feeling unhappy & dreadful.

Then, I had a sort of mini 'breakdown' as my DH likes to call it!! I lost the plot one night at home, he marched me down the dr's, and the dr signed me off with stress. I had THE most heavenly week off work, went back feeling much more able to cope, it highlighted to my boss that I couldnt keep going as I had been etc etc. Don't be scared to ask for help or take some more time off - I should imagine you are feeling much worse than you think - you get used to the whole pregnancy sickness / nausea & think it isnt so bad, then when you look back once you've had baby or the time has passed, you realise how bloody awful you felt!!

Can't remember the earliest you can take mat leave... but perhaps you should consider the earliest date, or ask to work part time until then if poss?

excitedLJ Tue 07-Jun-11 13:04:54

I know exactly how you feel. I have all the same stuff and I am 17 weeks and a couple of days. Saw the mw yest and she referred me to doc who wanted to sign me off for a month but agreed to a comproise of working from home only for the next month. Clearly not an option for you but I do think you should just see a doc and get signed off- it takes away the guilt/pressure of 'should I, could I??' every morning and validates how you feel.
xxx

roz1982 Tue 07-Jun-11 13:08:01

Hi - thanks for advice and understanding much appreciated!! I have a meeting with the head scheduled for tomorrow morning so will discuss options then...if I can make it in!! Working part time would be a huge help - there's only a few weeks til summer as well, thank god but even the thought of 6 long weeks of work stretching ahead is just horrendous!!

adewonder Mon 13-Jun-11 20:17:38

Similar to cheese, last week I could cope no longer and when my boss asked if I was ok, just started crying and couldn't stop. She made me phone gp, then got on the phone to shout at them to give me emergency appt, and I've been signed off. So currently off work, feelin much better.
I posted similar work anxiety elsewhere due to self created pressure about managing and not being wimpy, responses were supportive of having a break, that every single person is different with different levels of tiredness, and this is about the one bit of life where you can put yourself first.
Workplaces do have to make reasonable adjustments, and safeguard you and the kids you're teaching. Kids probably don't need to see teacher passing out with exhaustion.
Good luck.

PrincessJenga Mon 13-Jun-11 20:57:25

Are you primary or secondary? I'm further along (34 weeks) but since Yr 11 and Yr 13 left a few weeks ago there's much more flexibility in the timetable so my HOD has juggled things so I never teach more than two lessons in a row and lets me leave in the afternoon on my frees. If the mornings are the worst then could you suggest to the head tomorrow that they cover you for the first hour of each day and you go in at 10ish? Yes, it may disrupt others, but surely it would be less disruptive than you being off for weeks at a time? (which, by the way, you should be if you're feeling this crap!) Good luck smile

Mum2be79 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:07:21

roz1982

and don't forget that it's report writing season too! I'm 10 weeks + 3 days (11 weeks exactly going by MW dates!) and finding it hard come 2pm onwards - sickness kicks in and so, so tired! I've got marking and Literacy planning to do but I can't be bothered so I'm winging it tomorrow! I've had a nap after getting in at 6pm (was out the house at 7am) and thought I'd checkthe boards and go back to bed!

On another matter, I haven't had a scan date yet. Anyone else's been left this late? The dates the hospital has are the MW's so according to that I have only 2 weeks and 6 days left to have my Nuchal scan!

I teach a bunch of lively Year One kids!!

lindy100 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:09:33

In both pregnancies I had about three weeks off at about 14 weeks, so at a similar stage to you. I just felt awful, couldn't face the kids and every time someone asked if I was ok (usually at the beginning of the day as I looked so miserable) I burst into tears. Last time I cried a few times in classes - kids were lovely (13 and older) and didn't even mention it. This time two colleagues ganged up on me and sent me home.

HoD was very understanding, even though I have three exam groups (1 GCSE, 2 A level) and i felt totally supported. Luckily for me, I know.

If you need time, you need time. And if your bosses aren't as understanding as mine were, you do have legal protection.

Hope you feel better soon.

adewonder Thu 16-Jun-11 16:41:17

Mum2be79 I'm going to be 13+5 for my first nhs scan, which will be the nuchal screening, so only just in time. Wasn't offered a dating scan so went private.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now