Talk

Advanced search

vbac or c section

(8 Posts)
misshey Tue 07-Jun-11 12:16:18

Hi there I had my first baby in 2010 by c section due to medical problems an his size, we are now thinking of trying for baby number 2 and i intend to get some advise from my GP but wanted some advise from women who have already been there. Again there may be a possibility that i dont get the option but am unsure of the best option to take if i do get to choose, are there any Mums out there that have been through this?, that can share their experiences with me smile

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Jun-11 12:23:27

Hi

I had DC1 by emcs in 2008 and am expecting DC2 in October. My hospital policy is for VBAC unless there is a medical reason for the second (or subsequent) pregnancy to need a cs ie: they don't automatically offer you a cs just because you have had one before. It may be worth checking your hospital policy before spending too much time thinking about something over which you won't have any choice.

misshey Tue 07-Jun-11 12:43:55

Hi BRS

Firstly congrats! Im hoping to get in with my GP in the next couple of weeks to have a chat about this as I swore after my first experience never again! however something in me has decided I can do it again lol. I think the thing im most worried about before even getting pregnant is that if I do an get told it will have to be another c section im not sure how i will react, I found the op very traumatic and the surgeon actually came an spoke to me after and said that my consultant had been very wrong to leave it so late, i was then also very ill following the op. I think my dilema is wanting another child and being so scared of a repeat experience!, Thankyou very much for your advice I hope all goes well for you x

captainbarnacle Tue 07-Jun-11 12:58:35

I had DC1 in 2006 by EMCS ('failure to progress') and had DC2 by VBAC in 2008. I think if I had really wanted an ELCS for DC2 then I would have been able to have one, but I had a couple of meetings with a consultant and we decided to give labour a go. Went into labour naturally with DC2 at 41w and he was born 12hours later smile

Am pg with DC3 now and hoping for another VBAC (if that's what it's called, 2nd time around?)

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Jun-11 13:01:35

Misshey Those "Things inside you" are buggers aren't they? I was n't going to have another one either. First pg had horrific hyperemisis for 14 weeks, and ended up with emcs for undiagnosed footling breech. But after a couple of years couldn't bear the thought of DS being an only child (I have 2 b and 1 s), convinced myself that another pg would be different (contrary to all medical advice that once you've had hyperemisis, it is likley to happen again) and guess what - was wiped out with 14 weeks of hyperemisis again. 20 weeks now, half way there, just waiting to see how it all pans out, then - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Good luck with whatever you decide.

PandaNot Tue 07-Jun-11 13:14:32

I had an emcs in 2004 due to pre eclampsia and foetal distress. Everything happened very quickly and it all felt a bit out of control. When I was pregnant with dd in 2007 I opted for a planned cs as I wanted to feel like I knew what to expect iyswim. I didn't want any more shocks! Consultant gave me the choice. I have no regrets about my choice.

nunnie Tue 07-Jun-11 13:34:07

I am currently 25 weeks with number 3. My first was a natural birth with a retained placenta which needed to be manually removed in theatre. My 2nd was an EMCS due to brow presentation and DS had become very distressed by the time they realised he was brow.
I fell pregnant 11 weeks post EMCS, and hadn't even thought about birth options for number 3. I was given the option for both at my Consultant appointment, but don't have to decide until 36 weeks unless decision is made for me.
I am going to try for a vbac mainly due to the fact that in my case, my labours progress very very quickly and my DS was weeks early so even if I plan for a CS I will always panic that I won't make it, so decided to go with VBAC then I can worry about something else.
Only worry I have now is birthing in the car which DH isn't overally keen on wink
Talk to your GP about your local area policy and hope everything goes well for you.

misshey Tue 07-Jun-11 14:51:01

Thank you very much to everyone for giving me some help on this its so much more helpful to hear from people who have been through both. Good luck to all you mums to be hope all goes well for you all many thanks! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now