Talk

Advanced search

bleeding at 16 weeks

(6 Posts)
banana87 Tue 07-Jun-11 10:33:44

I am 16 weeks today. Last night I was feeling uncomfortable, and having achy pains (really low). Before bed I went to the bathroom and there was red blood on the loo roll. I immediately called my consultant, who tried to reassure me, but in the end I ended up meeting him at hospital. He checked my cervix, closed. Heartbeat fine. The blood has now gone to brown discharge. He says not to worry. After 2 previous miscarriages, I am scared to move. Any experiences of this and why? I have a scan this evening just to check everything is ok.

Daisybell1 Tue 07-Jun-11 10:40:19

Banana (do I know your name from the freak out fred?)

My best friend bled throughout her pregnancy, it was heavy and she was hospitalised a couple of times until it stopped. No cause was ever found, I'm afraid.

I hope this reassures you as her DS is now a very lively 20month old!

outthere Tue 07-Jun-11 10:44:14

Hiya, I can second that. When I was pg with my twin boys I bled almost fortnightly from about 18 weeks. It was bright red and would actually gush down my legs in the middle of the night. Sorry for TMI but just wanted to reassure you that it can be that bad and still be ok...

Good luck with your pg, I know how worrying it is, I'm 16 weeks tomorrow and even with my previous experience I would find a bleed very stressful xxx

outthere Tue 07-Jun-11 10:46:30

BTW if it happens again maybe ask for a scan to see where your placenta is lying. It might be that it's a bit low (as happened to my friend recently - she also bled at around 16 weeks for about 3 weeks!)... Don't worry if it is low at this stage as it will often move as your uterus enlarges...

porpentine Tue 07-Jun-11 11:08:47

I had almost exactly the same experience at about 14/15 weeks - bit achey and uncomfortable, small amount of bright red blood that then went brown - they also checked my cervix (closed) and said probably fine. I was super paranoid (previous mc) and paid for a scan to check and all was well, tiny tiny blood clot outside the sac which they said would reabsorb, but baby all fine. That was about a week ago and no recurrence so far, all seems ok - so (and I know this is IMPOSSIBLE advice to follow) really, really try not worry!

banana87 Tue 07-Jun-11 19:42:29

Had a scan and they didn't see anything that could have caused it. Just hoping it doesn't happen again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now