Talk

Advanced search

5 months pregnant and still havent heard anything 'official' from my hr dept... normal?

(10 Posts)
Newmom2b Tue 07-Jun-11 08:05:59

I told my line manager I was pregnant after 12 week scan. I'm now nearly 22 weeks and haven't heard anything from my hr department? When do I need to let them know when I want to leave etc and shouldn't they have any paperwork to complete? Is this normal or are they being slack?

yummymango Tue 07-Jun-11 08:09:44

In my company we have to tell HR by the time you are 25 weeks. I told my manager at around 8 weeks but he didn't tell HR, I had to fill out a form and send it off myself which I did last week at 24 weeks. Can't guarantee they are not being slack but maybe they don't know?? Hope that helps!

apples82 Tue 07-Jun-11 08:35:57

I told my boss at 15 weeks, and he emailed HR dept to inform them. I didn't hear anything from them, so emailed HR to ask a couple of questions. I have to let them know when I want to start my maternity leave, and they said in regards to how much time I have off, that all I need to do is tell them 28 days before I want to return to work. I was worried that I'd need to say before going off that i'd have e.g. 6 months, a year. But no, they said you can have up to a year, and just to let them know 28 days before return.

firsttimer84 Tue 07-Jun-11 08:42:38

I think once you send off your mat b form from the midwife, HR get in contact with you but obviously different companies have different protocols.

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Jun-11 08:46:26

By law, once you get your MATB1 at 25 weeks.
Why don;t you contact them? I am line manager of a very fertile team and am always in touch with my HR rep; she is convinced we are trying to get thw whole team on pat/mat leave at once! She just laugher when I told her I would be going off too - two months before my jobshare partner comes back from her mat leave!

KatieWatie Tue 07-Jun-11 12:14:42

I told my manager at 12 weeks but I somehow just 'knew' that HR wouldn't have been informed.

At about 20 weeks I sent HR a letter to let them know. I think you have to formally let them know by 25 weeks so I wanted to cover myself.

So far I have just had an acknowledgement email with a link to their maternity policy - I'm not sure what else is meant to happen.

figgygal Tue 07-Jun-11 13:14:50

to guarantee your SMP you need to tell them in writing the EWC and when you want to take your leave by the 25th week. Send an email or a letter to your boss and copy HR in but if you can prove you told them earlier they cant in good faith try to hold up your pay or Mat start date.

If you want to return early from mat leave legally you have to give 8 weeks notice (so they can make plans for any cover they have in place) it did used to be 28 days so you might want to make sure it does say 28 days in your policy in case it becomes an issue later on. Or your employer just may be flexible and desperate to have people back so happy to take less notice.

edwinbear Tue 07-Jun-11 16:40:38

I told my boss after my 12 week scan then confirmed in writing to him and HR that I was pregnant, my EDD and when I wanted ML to start. HR have just said to contact them if I have any questions or wanted to discuss anything.

YBR Tue 07-Jun-11 18:35:13

I've just had the 12week scan (11+4 in fact) and I've written a letter to HR, and copied to my manager. Since I have flexible benefits I need to know if this reduces my Maternity pay so I hope they get back to me sooner than 10 weeks!
As I want a formal reply from them I've sent a formal letter not an email - HR can be pretty hopeless where I work.

LunaticFringe Tue 07-Jun-11 21:34:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now