Talk

Advanced search

Is my bump too small?

(23 Posts)
Laura05 Mon 06-Jun-11 07:52:32

Hi all

I'm 32+2 and really small. No one believes I only have 8 weeks to go and I've only put on 12lbs so far and to be honest I think a lot of that is my boobs (went up 2 cups sizes by 19weeks -36G!)

The worst bit is I keep getting compared to other people who are pregnant and bigger than me. Ones only 17 weeks and clearly showing! I've just been laughing it off and saying at least the baby won't be huge but with constant comments I'm starting to panic.

I have the midwife on Thursday so I was thinking of mentioning it but i feel silly as she (my baby) is a real wriggler and I feel brilliant in myself though could do with sleeping better at night lol

Anyway kind of rambling here. Just wondered if anyone could offer some reassurance before I either I completely panick/stress or before I start battering inconsiderate people!

Cheers xx

chocywokky Mon 06-Jun-11 07:57:13

2 of my friend had a tiny tiny bumps and I mean tiny and babies came out around 6-7lb and both totally fine, both friends pinged right back into size 8 skinnies in no time! babies are now 2 and 3.

if your midwife is worried she would send you in for further scans, but sure you are just fine. don't worry.. enjoy your boobs! smile

Laura05 Mon 06-Jun-11 08:05:47

Thanks chocy I'm still I'm my pre-pregnancy jeans and I wasn't worried about being small but you know what it's like when you constantly hear the same thing over and over again - you start to believe it and doubt youself

OrangeGloss Mon 06-Jun-11 08:28:50

People seem to love to comment without thinking how it will effect the woman they're talking to. I'm 27 weeks and been told "you're huge" or "I don't think you'll make it to your due date" (as I am so big) I've just started to reply cheerily "I'm/it's measuring correct for dates" which seems to steer the discussion without being rude (I hope). I'm thinking if my MW isn't worried then neither am I

Sorry I haven't been more help, except to say that they'll find something to comment on!

knackered76 Mon 06-Jun-11 08:29:16

My friend only showed when pregnant with her 3rd and even then the bump was half the size I was with my first! The babies were all fine and 6lb+. I also know of a lady who was saying her bumps were all small but her babies big, 9lb+, as apparently she has a deep pelvis so they were hidden well! It's annoying when people compare bumps, etc. Unfortunately it's an occupational hazard with pregnancy, everyone likes to comment!

Blobby11 Tue 07-Jun-11 13:23:40

I'm 28 weeks and have the same problem. Someone at work is only 20 weeks and is huge and I'm getting fed up by all the comments. I asked my GP and she said I measured spot on so not to worry about it. Hopefully it means we'll spring back into shape quicker!

nunnie Tue 07-Jun-11 13:39:14

I am currently 25 weeks with number 3, and am about the same size I was at full term with baby 1.

My midwife was never concerned as I was only a small build. Consultant appointments were done by a hospital midwife (different hospital to community midwife complicated village I live in), and they kept sending me for growth scans due to my measurements, but scans always showed growth without problems.

My daughter was born at 5lb 13oz 39+1 and healthy.

Don't feel silly though, if you are worried mention it to your midwife.

sprinkles77 Tue 07-Jun-11 14:04:58

I had this. An emergency dr also picked it up at about 26 weeks, the MWs ignored it. My GP noted it at 32 weeks and sent me to the hospital. I had loads of growth scans and was discharged as no concern at 36 weeks, they thought DS was already 6lb 4oz. DS stopped moving at 38 weeks, failed induction. Born by EMCS following 4 days of extreme worry and continual monitoring. DS 5lb 11 oz. Am i to believe that he lost over half a pound in 2 weeks? I think the scans are very hard to interpret. I also think that had I not spotted him not moving, he would have died. The hospital did not send placenta for pathology, which was naughty really. My advice is to get this checked out, and pay attention to your baby's movements, not so much counting kicks as recognising its routines. It may well be that there is nothing wrong, but please take it seriously.

lovemybabyboy Tue 07-Jun-11 15:03:59

Yes it is very annoying! with my ds people used to always say i didnt look xx weeks etc...he was 7 pounds 14 ounces at birth so just because bump is small doesnt mean anything...i know someone who recently gave birth....she had a huge bump and baby only weighed 6 pounds something at birth!!
I am now 20 weeks pregnant and there are some others who are pregnant at work.....and everyone compares!! its soo annoying to have people constantly saying you dont look pregnant/that far gone!!! My baby is measuring fine so thats all that matters! grrr! angry

lightsandshapes Tue 07-Jun-11 16:50:24

I read that yoga practicing mummies tend to be smaller - do you do yoga....

theonlyhb2 Tue 07-Jun-11 17:35:41

oooo me too! 30 weeks today and its only starting to be a noticeable bump (in some clothes). When I lie down it just looks like fat. Interestingly, I was measuring a week bigger at my last check, and I think this is because my pubic bone is very low (apparently).

I figure its cos I am tall and have a long body? I had terrible HG up til 15/16 weeks but my boobs still went up 3 cup sizes long before then. I deffo have no waist at all and have had to buy bigger clothes, but it does make me laugh that I have to tell people I am pregnant (a Dr last week thought I said 13 weeks then said my dress must hide it well, and a delivery driver gave me a death stare of "you aren't pregnant yr just fat" when I said I couldn't carry boxes.

Eglu Tue 07-Jun-11 17:37:43

Some people don't show as much because they are tall and there is more space for baby. If it is your first particularly you could have strong stomach muscles holding the baby in too.. If you were too small the mw would have mentioned it before now

theonlyhb2 Tue 07-Jun-11 17:50:06

the midwife did tell me I have very strong stomach muscles (I had to make sure she was talking to me!).....all that puking did something useful!

Laura05 Tue 07-Jun-11 17:54:48

I'm only 5'2 so in no way long in the body lol I'm going to speak to the midwife on Thursday just to put my mind at rest. This is my first and i'm a pretty laid back person but this is bugging me. I haven't been weighed since 12weeks so i'm also going to mention that I haven't even put a stone on. I suppose it isn't a major issue if i can feel plenty of movement - and I mean plenty lol

sprinkles77 Tue 07-Jun-11 19:18:01

Yes, all that movement is reassuring! Wouldn't worry about weight gain, baby will take what it needs provided it can get it (i.e. assuming placental function OK). I refused to be weighed as had eating disorder as a teenager and had not weighed myself since, and wanted by eating patterns to be determined by how I felt not how I weighed. I can't remember if they can do a doppler scan at 32 wks to check placental function, I think there is a cut off point. The interpretation of growth scans appears to be a bit of an art form, so I would reiterate, make yourself familiar with your baby's movement patterns, and be alert to any change (i spotted reduced movement over a 3 hr period when normally baby was active, I believe that this, and the good care I received subsequently, saved my baby's life).

Boosaphena Tue 07-Jun-11 20:55:52

Im 5'3 and a rough size 8/10/12 ish. I'm on pg no 3 and 22 wks along and it's only just noticeable I 'might' be pg. With both my others I was extremely small too. With dc1 I went to mothercare to look at mat clothes at 32 wks and the assistant said oh no dear the early term clothes are over here. When I pointed out my gestation she asked me if I was sure!!! Wtf.
I had growth scans with both dc's and it turns out I just grow small babies that are perfectly formed in every way. It's worth remembering that the scans can be 1lb out either way. They told me ds was 6 lb at 38 weeks and he was born at 40+6 weighing 5lb14!

People don't think before they speak. I've always desperatly wanted a big bump but people always point out how small I am.

sprinkles77 Tue 07-Jun-11 21:08:18

And assuming all is OK, enjoy your little bump, with no stretch marks! And wearing proper clothes, and being able to move comfortably! I'm a curvy size 10 / 5 ft 1 and I mostly took it as a compliment that I didn't look like a fat whale. On my last day of work at 36 weeks most of my clients had no idea I was pregnant!

PinkFondantFancy Tue 07-Jun-11 21:41:33

If it's any comfort, I was talking to my MIL today and she said that my DH was a tiny bump but he's 6'1" now! She thinks it was just him being considerate and not stretching out grin I think people just feel the need to make comments on your bump size, try to ignore them if you can.

Laura05 Tue 07-Jun-11 22:37:42

Thanks everyone I was talking 2 my mil earlier and she said the same as urs PinkFondantFancy and my oh is a big guy lol plus me my sis and bro were all small babies so I've been told by my mum not 2 worry and since mums know best in just putting it to the back of my mind xx

Laura05 Thu 09-Jun-11 17:17:16

Hi all

Just to let you know I spoke to my midwife at my appointment today as she said not to worry as she (the baby) is measuring spot on. She said they'll see how I'm measuring at my next appointment in two weeks and if she's not measuring what she should be then they'll send me to the hospital but not to worry.

At least i can say to people making comments about how tiny I am that she's measuring what she should and so they can go and swivel lmao xx

Boosaphena Thu 09-Jun-11 21:49:52

Exactly! Glad all is well. You'll be the one laughing when you get straight back into your normal jeans!

Laura05 Fri 10-Jun-11 09:20:07

Lmao I'm still in my pre-pregnancy jeans!

Boosaphena Fri 10-Jun-11 15:13:18

Ha ha pregnancy might be your diet of choice then-it always was with me!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now