Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Full bladder for 20 week scan?

(22 Posts)
Jill72 Mon 06-Jun-11 07:30:51

do I need a full bladder? No I striations from midwife or hospital

KristinaM Mon 06-Jun-11 07:33:37

No. Good luck

Jill72 Mon 06-Jun-11 07:38:37

Instructions!!!

BikeRunSki Mon 06-Jun-11 07:45:46

Yes. I have mine this afternoon and letter says to have a "full, but no uncomfortably so, bladder". All the other scans I have had though, the scan man has sent me for a wee though!

Good luck.

nannyl Mon 06-Jun-11 09:09:01

I was told i did needed to

the letter they gave me at time of booking said to drink a pint of water (or other clear fluids) in the hour before the scan then not to wee until after.
(OMG i was desperate by the end!)

Butterbur Mon 06-Jun-11 09:12:37

DH (veteran of many a beer-drinking evening) told me not to sit there nearly bursting, while I waited for my appointment, but to adopt a sort of continuous top-up and wee approach. He reckoned that if you kept up the fluid going going in, the bladder would refill every 15 minutes or so.

It worked and the scan for no 3 was alot less uncomfortable than 1 & 2, which he hadn't attended.

AlmightyCitrus Mon 06-Jun-11 09:32:30

Well, the letters I got said to have a full bladder, but it's probably not wise. In my experience (on my 4th pregnancy now), and I don't think this is just my hospital, the appointment system is rubbish. I don't think I've EVER gone in on time, I think my shortest wait was 30 minutes. Once I was sat there for over an hour.

I'd take a bottle of water and sip it on the way, and finish it when you are there.
On one of my scans this time, they sent me to have a wee because baby was in the wrong position, due to my (half) full bladder!

lolajane2009 Mon 06-Jun-11 10:00:19

wasnt told to at my 20 week scan and didnt... was too full at 12 weeks and that caused issues.

brettgirl2 Mon 06-Jun-11 10:07:03

I was told not to - I thought because uterus moves forward by then.

CBear6 Mon 06-Jun-11 10:15:15

I was specifically told for my 12 week scan and 20 week scan to not have a full bladder.

I think different hospitals have different scanners so have different requirements. If you're in any doubt then give them a ring and ask.

idlevice Mon 06-Jun-11 10:30:16

Different scanners will not make a difference. If in doubt, best to go with a full bladder (by drinking 2 glasses of water an hour before, not as much as a pint - that would be uncomfortable) then it can always be emptied if necessary.

CBear6 Mon 06-Jun-11 10:34:52

Really? That's the reason I was given. My last pregnancy wa at a different hospital with older scanning machines and I had to have a full bladder. DS and this pregnancy were at another hospital but they're really modern and have all the latest doo-dahs, their scanners are the latest models and I was told not to have a full bladder as they don't need it.

Definitely agree though that it faster to empty a bladder than fill one so can't hurt to have a drink before you go, at worst they'll ask you to have a wee before the scan.

Jill72 Mon 06-Jun-11 12:08:17

cheers everyone smile

Baby2b Mon 06-Jun-11 12:11:27

I would just call and ask. Also, dont drink anything fizzy before hand as it gas can ruin the clarity of the picture and mean a second visit blush

BikeRunSki Mon 06-Jun-11 12:45:54

I thought the reason for having a full bladder was to lift the baby higher out of your pelvic girdle to give a better view of the baby.

idlevice Mon 06-Jun-11 13:23:20

Well, the physics of how an ultrasound works doesn't change so initially it seems weird that a different machine would make a difference! I know each machine will have its own characteristics & different technicians can have slightly different interpretations but to vary to the extent of not needing a full bladder or not for what they are looking at (ie distance of subject to probe, leading to quality of image) is quite surprising. Maybe it is something to do with newer machines having higher intensity of the ultrasound and better signal processing software. A definite bonus though if you don't have to have a full bladder!

CBear6 Mon 06-Jun-11 14:20:07

Needing a full bladder is like torture when you're pregnant. I'm like a dog that can't pass a lamp-post without lifting it's leg, if there's a toilet in my vicinity I have to pee. I think I'd burst if I had to sit there and wait and wait (our clinc never runs on time either).

Renaissance227 Mon 06-Jun-11 14:22:59

I couldn't cope with a full bladder at the moment. I'm drinking loads in this hot weather and needing to pee every 20mins!!! Have my scan on Friday.

pixiekid Mon 06-Jun-11 21:29:29

I was told full bladder for the 12 week, not as important for the 20 week as the baby will be bigger so clearer on the scan...

apricotears Mon 06-Jun-11 22:03:47

I was asked to have a full bladder for this scan... but that was just me. Seems it is not the done thing though, according to everyone else's responses?!?!?

harrygracejessica Tue 07-Jun-11 06:04:44

Full bladder for 12 week one, normal bladder for 20 week onwards ones. If your not sure though go with a full bladder, ask reception if it's needed if not have a wee smile

CrazyAlien06 Tue 07-Jun-11 06:53:17

i didnt need a full bladder, good luck x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: