Talk

Advanced search

July mothers to be!

(75 Posts)
VioletV Sun 05-Jun-11 21:27:51

Who's sorted their hospital bags yet? What are putting in yours?

Here is my checklist so far... (Please let me know if I'm missing anything)

Towels body and face
Maternity towels x2
Nappies x36
Camera (charged lol)
Lucozade sweets x4
slippers
nightdress x2
Babys first outfit x1
few vests x3
comfy clothes for me x2
black knickers x5
snacks to eat.

Drinks with straws
magazines for me and my birth partner (incase she gets bored)
box of chocs to say thanks to the nurses.
Baby car seat.

Am I missing anything?

elizabethsiddal Sun 05-Jun-11 21:34:08

You will probably need more than two maternity towels. I am taking two boxes of 10. You could probably swop out some nappies, 36 is a fair few days worth, and if you are in that long, you will need people to be bringing more supplies of clothes etc to you anyway!

I'd also recommend chucking in a packet of breast pads. and toiletries! toothpaste, shampoo etc. You will definately want to freshen up!

VioletV Sun 05-Jun-11 21:40:26

elizabethsiddal I mean x2 packets of maternity towels lol.

Good call on breast pads I have loads of them. I would pack toothpaste showergel etc last minute as I'm not going to buy extra when I have it already and I'm using it iyswim?

TY

PrincessJenga Sun 05-Jun-11 21:54:15

I did a very basic bag last week in a sudden fit of nesting/panic. I'm going to steal some of your ideas when I go back to do a more serious attempt in a few weeks (especially camera & box of chocs!). I also have drinks ready to pick up out of the freezer (top mumsnet tip on a thread a few weeks ago), lipbalm, muslin squares, pillows (our hospital insist you take your own) and my pregnancy notes.

I'm also trying to get hold of a battery powered iPod doc because I've heard mixed stories about whether our hospital will let us plug in our mains powered one and I want to be sure to be able to choose my own music or use the hypnotherapy stuff I have saved on my iPod.

Oh, and our midwife told me to unpack my bag and let DP repack it. Apparently LOTS of arguments start when a labouring woman wants something from her bag and her partner can't find it!

missnevermind Sun 05-Jun-11 22:03:16

So far I have a bag. And a battery powered phone charger. I have my priorities right, yes?

VioletV Sun 05-Jun-11 22:12:35

Well ladies I bought a suitcase so everything will fit into the same bag..lol

It's not a huge suitcase mind. Jenga I don't have a partner I have my mum so it'll be fine and easier for me I hope! I reckon you'll be fine with using the power mains there. Loving your suggestion of the iPod. I shall bring one too

nicolamumof3 Sun 05-Jun-11 22:17:03

I'd pack couple extra sleepsuits and get your toiletries ready you can pick up small travel versions cheaply last thing on your mind sill be have I remembered my deodorant once in labour grin going to start on my gag in next week or so due on 16th good luck!

ButterflySally Sun 05-Jun-11 22:57:40

Silly question here - where do you buy maternity pads from?? I had a look in Boots but couldn't see any (it was a small-ish Boots though...)

highheelsandequations Sun 05-Jun-11 23:01:37

butterfly I ordered mine online from boots, along with a load of other stuff for my bag. Am planning on ordering quite a few more packs this week to get organised smile

VioletV Sun 05-Jun-11 23:03:37

I got mine in Boots in the baby section. I did buy some always night time ones as they were slimmer.

HTH

ButterflySally Sun 05-Jun-11 23:05:22

Thanks! I need to get my bag sorted. Will use this thread as a helpful starting point smile

prolificwillybreeder Mon 06-Jun-11 06:14:35

Thanks for starting this thread, I have totally forgotten some stuff! I would buy more maternity pads to keep at home as I doubled up for a few days as it was just more comfy!

Darlingdamsel Mon 06-Jun-11 07:36:09

Amazingly I just started packing my bag last night as I just felt so compelled to do so after watching one born every min.

My additions to the above list
- Plastic bag for dirty clothes
- Stuff to do / read
- Something to use to pour water over my bits post birth
- A pair of socks
- Breast feeding bra
- One dummy (just in case)
- Ear plugs/eye patch for the communal ward

(had forgotten the frozen bottles ... great ideas)

VioletV Mon 06-Jun-11 14:23:14

Good thinking there Damsel bag for dirty clothes and socks! I bet it'll be cold on the ward.

I thought of taking a roll of toilet paper in with me as some hospitals have that tp that feels like tracing paper!

buttonmoon78 Mon 06-Jun-11 16:47:56

I'd def pack a couple of sleepsuits for baby. You may well end up coming home nice and early but on the other hand... And those first poos can be amazingly explosive!

<waves at Nicola>

PrincessJenga Mon 06-Jun-11 17:04:44

Oh god, did you have to mention the 'something to pour water over my bits with' Damsel? Can I be really dense (first timer!) and ask if that's for cleaning up or to help deal with the agony?

Darlingdamsel Mon 06-Jun-11 17:57:20

Hey Princess ... from what I understand ... comfort when you are going to the loo.

Crass I know, but seems like an helpful idea!

mummytigger Mon 06-Jun-11 18:17:34

Ooooh, a thread for people like meee ;D

34 weeks, and I've packed and repacked my bag sooo many times. I have:

Maternity Towels
6-piece outfit for Baby
3 Newborn sleepsuits in varying sizes, just in case he is too small/too big.
2 nighties
My PJ bottoms
Comfy clothes
Babys first teddy
Nipple pads
Nursing bras
Maternity notes
My strawberry-scented body butter (it's HEAVEN when Partner rubs my shoulders with it)
Camera
iPod speakers
Swaddling blankets
Hairpins, grips and ties

What I'l be packing closer to the date:
Puzzle mags and a pen
Toiletries
iPod
Snacks and sandwiches

Is this too much? Especially as I'm hoping to deliver in a low-risk birthing unit, and they've advised I'll be there for the shortest possible time - more than likely if I deliver in the night I'll be gone by the afternoon of the next day.

mummytigger Mon 06-Jun-11 18:19:55

And why the water to pour on your bits?!?! Can you not pee without it or something? As this is my first, please tell me lol! Don't want any nasty surprises!

Darlingdamsel Mon 06-Jun-11 19:07:48

I don't know! I just keep reading that having a container to pour over your bits while/after peeing is comforting. I just plan to use a plastic bottle and give it a go. What do we have to lose?

Oh ... and remember to freeze a few maternity pads for when you get home!

thehiddenpaw Mon 06-Jun-11 20:19:39

i have also packed my owm coffee as am really fussy about coffee and if there is one drink I will need when I am grumpy and being woken by nurses after getting 3 hours sleep, it is a decent coffee

JimmyChoo17 Mon 06-Jun-11 20:23:32

This is one part of the third trimester I really can't be bothered to do but know iwill be kicking myself if I don't pack it well! Must motivate myself together sorted....!

Pesha Mon 06-Jun-11 20:53:41

The water is because wee can really sting if you've torn/grazed so pouring water over your bits helps to dilute it and stop it stinging quite so much in theory.

I've not bought any maternity pads just some night time ones, found them thinner and more comfortable but worked just as well last time.

I would also recommend Lansinoh for nipples (brilliant stuff) and Arnica (the tiny little tablets not the cream) to help with healing. You're supposed to start taking them asap after birth, I've used them every time (on #4 now) so can't say if they work or not really as never not used them iyswim but have always healed fairly quickly.

Oh and I have ensured that dp knows exactly which sleepsuit is to be babies first!!

And I have disposable knickers as I just find it so much easier to be able to rip them off and throw them away.

Have also packed a baby blanket for both in hospital and on way home in case its a bit chilly.

Hairbrush and lots of hairbands and clips to keep hair out my face.

Change for car park.

List for dp of who to ring immediately, who to text immediately and who to ring/text the next morning if baby is born in the middle of the night!!

And I am packing my own painkillers this time as last time I had terrible after pains and the MW couldn't find the key for the medicine cupboard so i was left for a long time in a lot of pain and couldn't face holding my baby for more than a minute or 2. Should add for first timers that after pains tend to only start after 2nd birth, not first and not everyone experiences them!

nicolamumof3 Mon 06-Jun-11 21:10:22

oh the pouring of water oh yes oh yes oh yes! Do not attempt a wee without it!

hi buttonmoon, i seem to have lost the july thread!

buttonmoon78 Mon 06-Jun-11 21:13:59

It's called the final push! We've been missing you!

Water is essential for weeing. Last time I had a labial graze so couldn't wee tipped back OR forwards. Ended up weeing in a shallow bath most of the time grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now