Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy and being near shigles

(8 Posts)
blueeyedmonster Sun 05-Jun-11 19:57:16

Ok I know it's not contagious but.............my mum has suspected shingles. She's meant to be looking after my dc for me while I have my booking in appointment on wed then spending the day with us.

I have had chicken pox but we are not sure if dc has (he may have but without the spots, it can happen apparently!). Again this really has no bearing on it as it's not contagious.

Even knowing this I can't help but worry a little and maybe i'm thinking about taking him to my booking in. That in itself would be tricky as I know he won't sit for that long.

What do I do???? (do feel free to give me a virtual slap if needs be grin

mercibucket Sun 05-Jun-11 19:58:38

actually it is contagious! you can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles but you can't get shingles from someone with chickenpox
five million people are now going to post the same thing btw!

mercibucket Sun 05-Jun-11 20:00:47

ok so now that's out of the way .....
if you've already had chickenpox, you shouldn't catch it again. I don't think it's all that contagious so you just have to decide whether to expose your son to it and take the chance or not

blueeyedmonster Sun 05-Jun-11 20:00:47

Is it! Bloody hell i'm glad I posted now.

I always thought it worked both ways iyswim! Looks like I'm taking him to my booking in then. I don't want to chance him getting it now if he hasn't had it.

Thank you!

icravecheese Sun 05-Jun-11 20:50:41

My sister had shingles when I was about 30 wks preg with my 2nd. Shingles is only transmitted directly from the shingles site (not from cough droplets like chicken pox). Do you know where your mum has shingles? My sis had it on her back, and we spent xmas together & decided I was never going to come into direct contact with the shingles site. So all would be fine. She also covered it up with large dressing & plaster.if your mum has a site well covered by clothing I'd have thought you would all be fine...

blueeyedmonster Sun 05-Jun-11 20:56:48

She said it's on her arm so is wearing long sleeved tops. So we'd actually have to touch the shingles to be able to catch it?

I assume you were ok then and all was well. Thank you it's good to hear that then. Maybe it will be ok after all.

Decisions decisions!

icravecheese Sun 05-Jun-11 21:22:36

Yes all was totally fine! If your mum puts a hefty dressing over it, then its very unlikely you or your little one would ever be in direct contact with the site. We double checked about it all with my sisters gp & he confirmed that shingles is only shed from the actual site, not from sneezing or coughing on someone, like chicken pox is. We were just extra vigilant with hand washing and not sharing towel s etc.

blueeyedmonster Sun 05-Jun-11 21:57:42

Thank you that's fab news. Made me feel a lot more relaxed about it now knowing that it can be covered and safe that way. Maybe I might go ahead as planned then. I'll have a big think on it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now