Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Ante natal classes - nhs - what to expect

(8 Posts)
glitternanny Sun 05-Jun-11 16:53:13

I've been told at 16w to call about classes before they get full up!!! Paperwork from the hospital says to call at 20w!!

What kinda classes have you had/been offered?

A few weeks of one evening?
A whole day?
What did it cover?
Did it include hospital tour?

Anything else I should know?

freeangel Sun 05-Jun-11 17:08:16

I have paperwork telling me to ring at 20 weeks, even my midwife said to call after my scan! I may just ring at the beginning of next week! Im in berkshire! I know this answer probably doesnt help you though! grin

lolajane2009 Sun 05-Jun-11 18:05:08

ring at 20 weeks. i rang at 23 weeks and was too late... i only got the tor and the pain relief classes and i will 37 weeks by then so might go in before then.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Sun 05-Jun-11 18:11:15

Ring as soon as you can plus the childrens centre should do some so rung them as well. This is an area that has been battered by cuts.

Icelollycraving Sun 05-Jun-11 21:35:07

I had 2 sessions for about 1.5 hrs each,they were midday mid week. I had to ask for them,not sure if you do normally. I know some health authorities have cut them.
It covered the stages of birth,pain relief,assisted delivery & bf. Some of it was v helpful. One lady did ask about breathing techniques etc & was told that's really old hat now,if you want that you need to pay 200 & go to nct!

theborrower Sun 05-Jun-11 22:37:26

We had 3 sessions that lasted about 2hours each. 2 sessions on labour and 1 on breastfeeding. Worst classes ever. No hospital tour either.

BUT two of my friends also had NHS classes and theirs were much better. Postcode lottery I think. I would do them anyway. But make sure you read books too!

theborrower Sun 05-Jun-11 22:38:07

We had 3 sessions that lasted about 2hours each. 2 sessions on labour and 1 on breastfeeding. Worst classes ever. No hospital tour either.

BUT two of my friends also had NHS classes and theirs were much better. Postcode lottery I think. I would do them anyway. But make sure you read books too!

glitternanny Mon 06-Jun-11 09:14:37

Thanks. I got mine booked for October!! I asked about flexibility as oh works shifts and was told there isn't any! She took my address, told me the dates and that was it!
I shouldve asked what they cover!!
Least they're evenings!!
I def want at least one visit to the hospital as I have panic attacks and having a look round first will really help. If they can't do it I'll be speaking to my mw!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: