Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Private early scans

(17 Posts)
Emy84 Sun 05-Jun-11 15:11:53

Just wondered what people thought about having a private early scan? I am 6 weeks and its really taking a while to sink in. I am also paranoid about something being wrong and very impatient to have my first scan. I was think if I had a private scan in a couple of weeks and was able to see the heartbeat it might reassure me and make it more real - not sure I can wait til 12 weeks! Or is it a waste of money and will people think I am being over anxious?

Has anyone been for a private scan in the Surrey/London area?

confused

OrangeGloss Sun 05-Jun-11 15:24:21

Congratulations smile I think whatever helps the 12 week wait is worth it. I'd be careful about going too early as you might not see a heartbeat and cause more worry. I needed an early scan and couldn't see much but turns out I'd implanted later than 'normal' and was just 11 days behind compared to my LMP

Hopefully someone will be around soon re the London/Surrey situation

TerrysNo2 Sun 05-Jun-11 16:49:56

Hi

I had a private scan here twice at 6 weeks and 8 weeks. They are very good and quite reasonably priced. It has to be after 6+3 I think so they can see a heartbeat but the risk of MC reduces much more after 8 weeks so you might want to wait until then.

Hope this helps!

PinkFondantFancy Sun 05-Jun-11 17:46:23

I've been to the Fetal Medicine Centre, they are fab fmc

No-one will think you're being over-anxious. In my opinion if you're worried, they are well worth the money - there's nothing more reassuring than seeing everything is ok.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 05-Jun-11 17:47:36

Emy, are you anywhere near St George's in Tooting? They have a walk in EPU that is self referral and they will scan you no questions asked. They're fab.

Beesok Sun 05-Jun-11 17:56:37

Congrats Emy84! There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with having an early scan - if it will make you feel better go for it smile
I had one at 9 weeks and could see a teeny tiny baby with a flickering heart - it was SO reassuring esp. after my MMC earlier in the year which was also discovered at an early scan.

I had it done at my ob gyn's office as it was part of a consultation but I would recommend the FMC on harley street - I think viability scans are £100 and later on (after 12 wks) it's about £200

Good luck! smile

Grannyapple Sun 05-Jun-11 18:51:46

Hi emy I too had an early scan...at 8 weeks. I didn't have any symptoms apart from missed period so didn't actually believe I was pregnant until I saw the scan! I had mine done at babybond in south London but they have centres nationwide. The scans are done by sonographers who work in the NHS to top up their salaries. I found them great & even went back to get a 4d scan at 28 wks to see what my son looked like...he came out looking exactly like the scan photo & with one hand punching the air,again like my 4d scan photo!! Is now a healthy & happy 14 wk old ;o))

Emy84 Mon 06-Jun-11 11:01:41

Thanks for the responses. I think I will boook a scan as hopefully it will help it all feel more real and I am so impatient for something to happen. Only seen locum Gp and havent got midwife appt for a while.

Gwendoline I could get to St Georges but as I dont have any symptoms such as bleeding or pain I am not sure I should be using this resource just cos I am over anxious!

Thanks everyone else for suggestions of where to go I will look into them and see what I think. smile

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 06-Jun-11 11:56:07

On the form you fill in maternal anxiety is one of the boxes you tick as to why you are there. They are really lovely.

Baby2b Mon 06-Jun-11 12:07:45

http://www.womensultrasound.co.uk/pregnancy.htm

Would highly recommend the above. Dr Jordan at Wimbledon was amazing. I would agree with waiting until 8 weeks. I needed one at 6 weeks to check location, but there isnt much to see then. Good luck!

edwinbear Mon 06-Jun-11 13:27:44

I had one done at http://www.myultrababy.com/ in their Canary Wharf centre. I only had it for reassurance and as it was an unplanned pregnancy, I was struggling a bit to believe it. Well worth the £75 in my opinion.

jezebelle Mon 06-Jun-11 14:16:17

I had one privately at the local hospital for £110, i was 9 weeks. It was lovely, but sadly the baby died at 13 weeks. Its a treasured memory. I'm now 38 weeks pg again, and i had a scan on nhs at 8 weeks to check what was going on as i had a mc again Sept but was pg in Oct, it was to check there really was a baby and how big it was smile I wouldn't say don't do it, but do bear in mind theres no guarantees in this life xxx

muzzy2011 Mon 06-Jun-11 18:19:57

I had one at 8 weeks at Fetal Medicine Centre. After a previous miscarriage it was the best £100 I ever spent! Was still worried sick between then and my 12 weeks but it was such a relief. If your baby has a strong heartbeat your chances of miscarriage are really low so it's worth it for some reassurance! Am waiting for 20 week scan now and still worried....it never stops ;) Good luck.

RedCurls Mon 06-Jun-11 20:09:35

I had an early private scan at 8 weeks and it was definitely worth it, was such a relief to see a heartbeat and really helped to break up the wait for the 12 week scan. smile

fr00tbat Mon 06-Jun-11 20:19:03

I had an early private scan on Saturday at the Birth Company on Harley Street - £120 - best money have spent. Agree, was such relief to see a heartbeat - am aware there are no guarentees, but feel so mch better - tolerating nausia with some serenity now.
The images were so clear and the sonographer was lovely - have booked same place for 4d scan at 28 weeks was so impressed.

Emy84 Sun 26-Jun-11 14:54:36

Quick update;

Went for my scan this morning could see a little 'blob' wriggling around tiny heart fluttering away! Was definately worth the money and I would recommend to anyone who is a bit anxious 'is there really a baby in there?' to go for it. Its now only 4 weeks til my 12 week scan but today has really helped break up the wait as I am very impatient and anxious to know everything was ok.

I think it has also helped DH feel a bit closer to it as he has actually seen the baby grin

PinkFondantFancy Sun 26-Jun-11 14:59:29

Fantastic news, congratulations Emy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now