Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Ugh, can anyone tell me what might be going on?

(16 Posts)
RickGhastley Sat 04-Jun-11 17:55:26

Have been TTC since a miscarriage in March.

AF always comes on day 26 of my cycle, when no AF turned up on day 26 of this cycle I did a test- BFN sad

Then on day 28 I get pains (v low in my stomach rather than my back which is where I usually get period pain) plus 4 days of bleeding. Lighter than normal period and brown (sorry TMI) but still a lot heavier than the implantation bleeding I had with my last 2 pregnancies.

Think nothing more about it but have been feeling very sick so did a test this morning (day 36) and got a BFP (vv strong line)

WTF is going on confused?!

Should I go to see the Dr on Monday or just wait another week and test again?

PegPolkadot Sat 04-Jun-11 18:09:58

I got brown bleeding with all 3 of my pregnancies around the time I would of been due my period.

Sounds like congratulations are in order to me!

lightsandshapes Sat 04-Jun-11 18:36:20

A BFP is a BFP - congrats!!

aethelfleda Sat 04-Jun-11 18:41:17

This could be a "chemical pregnancy" - an early almost-pregnancy that sadly isn't working out, and will not completely get established (in which case your preg test will becone negative shortly).

OR- it may be what's known as an "implantation bleed", where the egg burrows into the womb lining causing some bleeding but it's basically a good pregnancy which will go on to be a baby.

The best thing to do now is go to your GP on Monday, explain you've bled but have a good strong BFP, they will refer you to the local early preg unit and do a scan at about 6-7 weeks to see if there's a pregnancy there.

Good luck smile

Cattleprod Sat 04-Jun-11 18:46:42

I'd say you are definitely pregnant, and it may have been an implantation bleed (I think they can be heavier depending on where the embryo implants iirc), a cervical abruption(?) or a small haemmorage on your uterus (which is what I had except bleeding was exactly like a period). I'd ring your local early pregnancy unit - you may be able to get an early scan as you've had a bleed. At 5 weeks they can see yolk sac etc, but won't be able to confirm heart beat until nearer 7 weeks though.

Congratulations! Almost the same thing happened to me (mc nov, BFP feb turned out to be 5 weeks preg). Now 19 weeks.

lolajane2009 Sat 04-Jun-11 18:54:45

you are pregnant. i am another who had brown discharge and i am now 25weeks.

RickGhastley Sat 04-Jun-11 18:58:56

Thank you so much for all your reassuring messages and advice. I dare not even hope this might work out after having the m/c last time - when all seemed to be going so well!

Will definitely go to the DR on Monday and hope she can get me a scan in the next few weeks, I don't think I'll be able to wait till 12 weeks. I'll also do another test in a week to see if it's a chemical PG (had never heard of those)

aethelfleda Sat 04-Jun-11 19:08:34

If you tell them you've had bleeding they will def scan you within a week or two, as they need to ensure baby's in the right place for you.

Here's hoping you stay with a BFP and get good news soon!

licoriceGreen Sat 04-Jun-11 19:08:59

Just wanted to say a very similar thing happened to me, af (or what I thought was af) arrived on time but was a lot darker than normal and much lighter, I didn't think anything of it a few weeks later the morning sickness kicked in so I did a test and yep I was 7 weeks pregnant. I'm now 25 weeks. Sounds like your pregnant to me. Congratulations and good luck x

RickGhastley Sat 04-Jun-11 19:14:35

Congrats Licorice, it must have been a shock to find out you were 7 weeks pg!! I am so thick, I had no idea that people can get "periods" when they are pg!

Cattleprod Sat 04-Jun-11 19:29:44

Some early pregnancy units (like my local one) allow self-referral which might be a bit quicker than going to the doc first. They scanned me within about 2 or 3 days, with a repeat viability scan at 7 weeks. It is an internal scan they do at this stage of pregnancy, but it's not as undignified as it sounds - nowhere near as bad as a smear test!

RickGhastley Sat 04-Jun-11 19:45:24

I'm afraid my MAT hospital does not allow self referral - tried that when I had my m/c earlier this year. But my GP is fab and got me a same day appointment at the EPU. So I'll go and see her on Monday.

RickGhastley Wed 08-Jun-11 07:00:45

Just an update for all you kind people who helped me.

Saw GP yesterday and she says I am defo PG. She told me that if it was a m/c or a chemical pg I would definitely not be getting a strong BFP yesterday (8 days after the bleeding stopped).

Yay!

But now obviously panicking that something is wrong so she advised going for a scan at 8 wks, luckily med insurance will cover that.

Cattleprod Wed 08-Jun-11 07:47:23

Congratulations!! Good luck for your 8 week scan. How long will you have to wait?

It's quite tough waiting and not knowing what's going on and if everything is ok. My advice would be to keep busy in real life, get plenty of rest, look after yourself and keep away from google and the miscarriage topic on mumsnet! smile

buttonmoon78 Wed 08-Jun-11 08:18:57

You'll be fine. Lots of people bleed quite a lot and everything's ok.

Congratulations! Is it about 2 wks wil your scan then?

RickGhastley Wed 08-Jun-11 18:52:46

I'm only 5+3 so will have to wait 2 1/2 weeks.

Am quite chilled about it now actually, probably because I never thought I was PG in the first place so any good outcome is a big bonus!

Am now feeling sick as a dog and have a big project on at work so that will keep me occupied for the coming weeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: