Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

week 34 and had enough of doing without!

(29 Posts)
fulllife Sat 04-Jun-11 16:29:46

hi, finally reached week 34 and im literally counting the days because i had enough of not eating drinking and doing all the things that you arent supposed to do in pregnancy! i crave nothing more but a decent glass of wine without the guilt, a beer by the beach with a cigarette, faboulous seafood platters, being able to eat from the whole menu, and ordering a proper cappucino... enough! apart from this i would also like to have my body back, please. can't wait for birth - every one is so la di da about mum to be's giving up all the pleasures in life "its only nine months!" but nine months is a really really long time without wine fuelled romantic evenings with husbands! doing without for so long is so not easy, and now that im heading towards the end it gets even harder... how does everyone cope? im this close to cheating...

silverangel Sat 04-Jun-11 17:09:17

I know exactly where you're coming from - in this gorgeous weather I would like to be in a pub garden with my friends, can't go out today as feet are soooo swollen so sitting in the garden with my feet in a bucket instead! I also really miss gooey runny yummy cheese, and blue cheese and I'm only 23 weeks!!

Why can't you order cappucino out of interest - I may have missed something with that one?!

WiiUnfit Sat 04-Jun-11 17:13:23

I assume because of the caffeine silver?

I'm 36+5 and have had enough of not having anything, so yesterday I had a weak Strongbow shandy in the beer garden & it was looooovely! grin I may even have another tonight! shock

fulllife Sat 04-Jun-11 17:24:15

yes, its the coffeine silverangel. im having decaf cappucinos but they just dont pack the punchsad
since im in my last trimester (thank god) i started to treat myself to a glass of champagne once a week, but i feel so uncomfortable that i usually only drink half.
and exactly, beach season is upon us, the weather is lovely where i live, and i cant stop fantasising about opening a bottle of cool crisp white wine to enjoy with some freshly grilled fish and my husband on the porch, while some jazz is playing in the backround (and im not even 30- pregnancy totally fast forwarded me 10 years ahead...). arg! but now i am adding another fantasy thanks to you wiiunfit: cold crisp cider in a traditional beer garden in a place where nobody knows you and can judge you, yum yum yum. i think ill be an alcoholic after the birthsmile

WiiUnfit Sat 04-Jun-11 17:27:12

fulllife, please try not to feel guilty about 1 glass of champagne / 1 caffeinated cappucino / 1 cool crisp cider as an occassional thing, it's not like you're going out on the razz guzzling caffeine all day every day - that is not going to harm your baby! smile Treat yourself!

AlpinePony Sat 04-Jun-11 17:30:49

Who on earth told you that you couldn't have beer/wine/cappucino? confused All of those are fine!

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 04-Jun-11 17:35:28

There aren't any rules saying you can't drink coffee, just to limit caffeine.

I presume you aren't eating chocolate then either as that has caffeine in it?

fulllife Sat 04-Jun-11 17:38:07

oh, chocolate is beyond discussionsmile

laiyan Sat 04-Jun-11 17:41:07

you can have wine. the point is to have it in moderation

you can have coffee. again, in moderation

you can pretty much do almost everything you did before, but in moderation. If you ran marathons regularly before you go tpregnant, then its better to be out doing ten mile runs than sitting on your sofa bemoaning your fate

the one thing you are unlikely to get back as soon as you have the baby, is your body. so stop being so unrealistic. you might get back a semblance of what your body was like before you got pregnant if you are 15 or even 18, but its unlikely. Do you really think that your body can do something as amazing as reproduce, and remain unchanged?

and for those people who tell you its only nine months. it isnt. breastfeeding adds on a few more months. but caring for the baby/child/teen/youngadult is the rest of your entire life. reproducing is really quite a big deal. accept it and enjoy it . dont make it more difficult for yourself

laiyan Sat 04-Jun-11 17:42:20

if you feel guilty, then you are getting stressed. and stress hormones are more likely to have a negative effect on your baby and your body, than the caffiene or wine or cigarettes would have had in the first place.

aethelfleda Sat 04-Jun-11 18:48:13

A bit of what you fancy does you good (apart from the fags- sorry!)

But all the rest, wine/beer, cooked seafood platters (maybe hold the mussels and raw oysters) should be fine. You're allowed two strong mugs of coffee a day even in early pregnancy!

So live a little and best of luck (and think of those with MS who can't look at a cappuccino without barfing sad )

StrawberryMewMew Sat 04-Jun-11 18:48:18

I feel very very bad....

I had a couple of drinks out with a friend the other day and the guilt of it has been making me feel awful.

AlpinePony Sat 04-Jun-11 19:00:00

A couple of drinks or a couple of bottles? Huuuuuuuuuge difference! smile

StrawberryMewMew Sat 04-Jun-11 19:02:45

Lol, I had about 3 small glasses of normal strength/weakish cocktail?

I feel extremely bad. sad I don't know, I just had a complete moment of weakness after avoiding it the whole time so far.

AlpinePony Sat 04-Jun-11 19:06:31

But there's no reason why you should avoid it.

StrawberryMewMew Sat 04-Jun-11 19:07:35

I know, but I feel what I had is too much I guess.

I've been trying to avoid it as I thought that is what would be best, but thinking about it now the odd single drink every few weeks might have taken the temptation out of it.

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 04-Jun-11 19:47:05

But a one off episode of that amount cannot logically harm your baby. It used to be the 'rules' that you could have a few units a week anyway. They changed it to nothing because apparently us women cannot be trusted to know what a unit is / limit ourselves.

Foetal alcohol syndrome / brain abnormalities from alcohol are down to large amounts of alcohol on a regular basis. Really, one night where you probably had watered down cocktails...baby was probably happy wink

There is a huge difference between not drinking (probably best) to feeling guilty after a few drinks (no point - baby is most likely to be absolutely fine / no effect whatsoever!)

BrassicaBabe Sat 04-Jun-11 20:20:56

Poor you. I feel the same as you wanting my body back. But I have to say I'm not restricting my diet as much as you are. I have a small glass of wine/pimms/cider about 5 nights out of 7. Caffine is fine to a point and so is most seafood.

A little bit of what you fancy and you'll feel much more like yourself.

StrawberryMewMew Sat 04-Jun-11 20:36:06

Thanks for making me feel better about it Peppa, I am probably just being silly.

OP, try and relax and don't turn yourself into the crazy, guilty person I have! grin

AlpinePony Sat 04-Jun-11 20:42:52

When I was 7 months I went out with the girls for a Mexican, had a couple of margaritas and a boogie. Just what the doctor ordered and my son had a good old boogie too. smile also drank looooads of coffee, a male colleague told me off, I told him to cock off. I'm not a drinker, my booze cabinet has cobwebs but that night those margaritas were heavenly.

But then I also ate brie, soft ice-cream and pate. There was also the raw prawns incident, thank goodness for my ox-like constitution.

StrawberryMewMew Sat 04-Jun-11 20:55:44

Ohhh gawd.... Brie. <cries> sad

confuddledDOTcom Sat 04-Jun-11 20:56:28

Your alcohol tolerance is unlikely to be what it was so you won't drink that much. It's not one off drinking that's a problem or even occasional drinking, it's regular heavy drinking which is why I personally have a problem with guidelines. The sensible women spend their pregnancy stressing and crave one drink that they believe would cause irreparable harm where the women who need to listen won't care.

It's the same with most things. Allow yourself a daily or weekly allowance and enjoy without fear but also listen to your body. If half way through a glass of wine you feel woozy then stop.

Are you in the July club? I'm assuming you're July as I am/ was 34 weeks too.

wheresmytractor Sat 04-Jun-11 21:22:45

OP I feel your pain. I am 30 weeks into my 3rd (and final!!!) pregnancy in 3 and a half years and i've had it! LOVE my family and its what I wanted, but my god "its only 9 months" is a crock of shit. Breastfed both of mine for 6 months after so thats 15 months..... x3 thats 45 months shock! Atleast my liver has had a good detox grin I must admit i've had a glass of wine about 3 times a week, feel a bit guilty but i'm moving house at the end of this pregnancy and the wine has really helped the stress levels.

I feel relieved to read all about you level headed ladies also having a regular glass of wine, it makes me feel better x

apricotears Sat 04-Jun-11 21:49:27

I am expecting with my first and DH and I went out for dinner the other night. I told him I would get the drinks, so went up to the bar. I ordered him a beer and myself a non alchoholic drink. By the time I got back to our table, I said to him, I am never doing that again! I felt SO scrutinized by everyone... they were all staring and I had a few blantant disapproving head shakes! I wanted to throw the friggin drinks in their faces and explain myself! The general public are so quick to jump to conclusions, and half of them don't know what on earth they are talking about angry Sorry about the rant, but it really got up my nose!!!

WiiUnfit Sun 05-Jun-11 00:06:05

Ah fuck 'em apricot, I personally think it's quite funny to watch a load of judgemental muppets make assumptions about me. I'm 20 but look younger so I have had no end of disapproving headshakes. grin

I had it at my renal clinic appointment too - I have renal hypertension caused by a kidney problem I was born with that was undiagnosed until I was 17. When I went a while back, an old couple were sat waiting too & spent the whole time talking, a lot louder than they thought, about how I must be there because I have been out binge-drinking too much hmm Made me & DP laugh no end... They were horrible though & actually refused to see a stand-in Doctor because he was asian, they were told "fine, but Dr 'Blahblah' will be about 90 minutes as he's doing ward rounds" by the nurse who promptly walked away, faces were a picture!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: