Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Crib v Moses basket? I'm shopping NOW!

(14 Posts)
Annie456 Sat 04-Jun-11 14:46:33

Need your help! I'm doing my big baby shop today (12 weeks to go!) and still undecided whether to get a crib or Moses basket...which do you recommend and why?

If it makes any difference, we have room for the cot in our room when LO grows out of either...

Thanks!

gettingtogrips Sat 04-Jun-11 14:50:03

I vote Moses basket because it's lighter and easier to carry around the house with you for day time naps.

moregranny Sat 04-Jun-11 14:52:17

A crib will last longer and be more sturdy.

moregranny Sat 04-Jun-11 14:53:09

Cribs are usually bigger.

BertieBotts Sat 04-Jun-11 14:54:45

Neither wink

Possibly moses basket for downstairs, if you don't have a carrycot, (although I had neither and coped just fine with a bouncy chair/blanket on floor/baby in arms) but baby will be fine in a cot from birth. Even better if it's a co-sleeper cot or you can adapt it to be one smile

saoirse86 Sat 04-Jun-11 17:06:06

I'd say moses basket if you're going up and down stairs with it, crib if not.

My DD hated her moses basket though. I'm sure she would've been happier in a crib where she could see around more and had more space.

Beesok Sat 04-Jun-11 17:25:04

vote for nice crib here smile

m1nn1em0u5e Sat 04-Jun-11 19:08:13

I've used both & much prefer the Moses basket, especially if you are planning on using a dummy!...I used a dummy as I bf & my baby constantly used me as a dummy otherwise!....With the crib, the dummy kept falling between the bars onto the floor!....grrrrrr it looked nice though, just not very practical for me personally! smile

Hormoneoverload Sun 05-Jun-11 09:59:54

If you can, I'd vote for both but a really low priced one of each. The crib is great if baby grows out of Moses basket very quickly but last time we used the cot once that happened.

grubbalo Sun 05-Jun-11 10:17:53

Another vote for crib here. My babies were both 9lb+ and were too big for the moses basket (fortunately donated by a friend) very quickly. My eldest in particular hated being in the moses basket as I think he preferred being able to see a bit more in the crib.

But agree a crib is not mobile so if that is important to you the moses basket is your only option really.

SouthGoingZax Sun 05-Jun-11 10:20:11

Another vote for neither.
Or get a moses basket on e bay. Honestly , most are hardly used. Total waste of money.

Straight into a cot in your room.

Tarlia Sun 05-Jun-11 10:36:35

We put baby straight into cot, which meant we avoided the transfer when bigger. If you are getting a pram with a lift, then this is great to move around during the day, we had a P&T cocoon which I really miss now baby is too big for it.

Tarlia Sun 05-Jun-11 10:37:41

Btw, cocoon was grown out of by 2.5 months!!

Annie456 Mon 06-Jun-11 18:46:43

Thanks so much - this was really helpful! In the end we decided to use my brothers Moses basket ad we just bought a new mattress for it. Our pushchair is a bugaboo bee so there's no carrycot - whic is why the Moses basket will be good.

Also the cot (also borrowed) is one of the smaller ones so we didn't see the point in a crib when the cot is also quite small. We can just move up to the cot when the baby is too big for the basket.
Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: