Talk

Advanced search

Washing baby clothes question

(21 Posts)
Jill72 Fri 03-Jun-11 22:02:03

I am not a domestic goddess at all - how do you keep the white baby grows white? I seldom buy anything in white and if I do it seems to be grubby in no time. I just chuck everything in on the quick wash. Do you put them in on the 95 whites cycle???

Jojay Fri 03-Jun-11 22:06:58

Keep light colours seperate from dark, and line dry in bright sunlight when you can.

Work for me, and I wash at 40.

Oh, and use Ariel powder. I washed some huge plain white curtains one at a time once, one with Ariel and on ewith Tesco's liquid. When I hung them back up the difference was really noticeable.

Graciescotland Fri 03-Jun-11 22:18:02

Lazy way; buy everything in similar colours i.e. lights so you don't have to separate, scoop of vanish in every wash, dry in sunshine if you can

bilblio Fri 03-Jun-11 22:26:34

Separate things out into colours. We usually have a wash mountain so it goes something like, Very darks, blue's, red/oranges/ not quite whites, and definitely whites.

Also hanging white clothes out on the line on a sunny day. They sunshine does wonders for making them all white again. Even the coffee stained tea towels.

Every so often my Mum will take things away too and miraculously make them clean. She soaks things in Milton, or boil washes them, literally on the cooker boiling them. I can't be bothered with that though so I just wait for sunny days. grin

Jill72 Fri 03-Jun-11 22:26:43

Is the sunshine doing something special?????

bilblio Fri 03-Jun-11 22:31:46

The sunshine bleaches out the stains. It works wonders on tomato stains.

Graciescotland Sat 04-Jun-11 00:12:51

TMI but sunshine also works on poo stains...

Jill72 Sat 04-Jun-11 09:00:01

good to know!

theonlyhb2 Sat 04-Jun-11 09:05:58

goes to hang out washing on line

Jill72 Sat 04-Jun-11 14:38:14

I wondered what milton was for!!! Yet another item I am clueless about - do I need it???

Jill72 Sat 04-Jun-11 14:38:58

p.s theonlyhb2 - can you hang mine out while you are there???

ragged Sat 04-Jun-11 14:51:14

Does Milton bleach? confused. Napisan does a good job, but Milton?

bilblio Sat 04-Jun-11 18:01:41

My white washing, and tomato stained table cloths are currently in the washer. Keep your finigers crossed that it's still sunny tomorrow... and that DH remembers to put them on the line while I'm at work.

Yes milton definitely bleaches, my Mum's white speckled t-shirts vouch for that. grin No you don't really need it. I have some and occasionally soak dish cloths in it, but I don't think I ever used it on DD's clothes.
I think a lot of people use it for sterilizing, but I never had to do that either.

beanlet Sat 04-Jun-11 18:10:28

I only ever wash whites with whites, and yes, the sun works wonders on stains. 40 degrees is usually sufficient, but once in a while a really hot wash is in order. My whites stay white.

You can always dye chewing-gum coloured whites bright colours to give them a new lease of life. We dyed all DS's white handmedowns tropical green, bright blue and red.

wishwales Sat 04-Jun-11 22:03:50

beanlet Can you tell me what you used to dye the baby clothes? And how you did it? I want to change the color of anything we get that is pastel pink. Second hand washable nappies could use a little color spruce up as well. Cheers!

Hormoneoverload Sun 05-Jun-11 10:23:44

If you dry them on the grass in the sun, you get even better poo stain removal. Something to do with chlorophyll in the grass (the green stuff). Worked a treat with my first-not so great with three year old running around second time round!!

beanlet Sun 05-Jun-11 17:23:45

Dylon. I have to confess that it's my DH's idea, so I don't know the exact procedure, but the instructions are included with the box, and you just do it in the washing machine.

wishwales Sun 05-Jun-11 21:48:35

Thanks beanlet

nicolamumof3 Sun 05-Jun-11 22:20:09

Just wash whites with whites quite simple really lol

Renaissance227 Mon 06-Jun-11 09:17:35

Wash whites with only other whites, pale colours together, and then dark colours together.
Use Fairy non-biological powder (non-biological is apparently important, so baby's skin isn't irritated)and use Comfort Pure.
Definitely dry on a washing line in the sun if possible. Makes then very white but also soft. x

bluebobbin Mon 06-Jun-11 09:19:56

You keep babygros white by only washing them with white things.

However, not sure how old your baby is, but they only end up wearing each size for a few weeks so not sure it matters much anyway.

If you can't keep things white, you could always buy babygros in other colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now