Talk

Advanced search

Can I use a semi-perm hair dye?

(9 Posts)
LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 03-Jun-11 16:03:11

Ok so it doesn't say I can't, haven't used it before and am doing the skin test so am I ok to use it?

DreamingOfABump Fri 03-Jun-11 16:26:52

dont think theres any evidence to say u cant. x

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 03-Jun-11 17:06:04

Never dyed my hair before and have been wanting too for a few months so quite excited, thanks.

silverangel Fri 03-Jun-11 17:27:34

I've kept dying mine but avoided the first 12 weeks - your hair / skin can react differently in pregnancy so definitley test it first!

NatzCNL Fri 03-Jun-11 18:29:19

I was told by a friend of a hairdresser not to during pregnancy because there is a chemical in the dye that can penetrate the blood stream and manifest in the placenta, like blood poisoning. I dont know if this is true or not, but am not taking the risk just in case (but my hair is turning more and more silver as the weeks pass and Im not happy about that!)

Best to ask an experienced hair dresser, possibly on the health and beauty threads?

nunnie Fri 03-Jun-11 20:00:02

I have my hair dyed every 10 weeks at the local hairdressers (over 30 years experience) and have done for all 3 of my pregnancies. He has always said it is safe the only advice he gives is to do a test before due to it taking differently on some pregnant womens hair.

CrazyAlien06 Fri 03-Jun-11 20:01:05

I've been having my hair dyed throughout my pregnancy :-)

NatzCNL Fri 03-Jun-11 20:02:36

Good to know Nunnie, I wasn't entirely sure with my friends advice, just went with it. Think I may be making an appointment to hide my silver intruders...! grin

nunnie Fri 03-Jun-11 20:05:31

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/949.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=131
I also read this and a few threads on here before making my decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now