Talk

Advanced search

Anaemic in third trimester

(12 Posts)
Ukulele80 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:44:46

Hello,

I have just found out that I am anaemic and I am nearly 29 weeks pregnant. I have been utterly exhausted recently but had put it down to being very busy at work, now turns out i have been anaemic for some time. literally have no energy and been struggling to get through a full days work. anyone else experienced this complete exhaustion? feels a bit like how I felt some days in my first trimester but all the time. am also Rhesus Negative and just had my anti d injections and wondering if this is exacerbating it. not affecting me at the moment but also have an enourmous fibroid which means am likely to lose quite a lot of blood during labour so doctor very keen to get my iron up as soon as possible or labour could be dangerous for me. generally speaking me and little one are super healthy and robust but struggling a bit with this tiredness as is v. debilitating... am on iron tablets and iron water but anyone got good ideas for iron rich meals that dont contain red meat?

saoirse86 Fri 03-Jun-11 13:10:47

Lots of green leafy veg, pulses, dried fruit. I can't remember any more. Your GP or MW might have some good suggestions though. Also drinking fresh orange juice with your tablets and meals help absorption. Things like tea and coffee (if you're still drinking them) are bad for iron absorption.

I was very anaemic too (but always am) but my iron levels finally went up to 11 point something a couple of days before giving birth. Keep on the pills and good diet and hopefully your fibroid won't have too much effect on your iron. smile

Lizziefinch Fri 03-Jun-11 19:13:59

Floradix liquid really helps, I eat hardly anything with iron in but a combination of floradix and normal pregnancy multivits seems to be doing the trick, my iron levels have been good. Apparently the liquid formula is very easy to digest and works better than tablets alone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Floradix-Liquid-Iron-Formula-500ml/dp/B000Z971W6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307124739&sr=8-1

Lizziefinch Fri 03-Jun-11 19:16:21

Oh and if you like dried apricots, they have loads of absorbable iron in them, although personally I do find they give me wind

Happygomummy Fri 03-Jun-11 19:17:28

Red meat really is the best way. It made a huge difference to me during my pregnancy. Otherwise spinach and lentils.

Yukana Fri 03-Jun-11 19:53:33

I'm also anaemic and 30 weeks pregnant. Doctor has prescribed me iron 200mg tablets to take twice a day, I keep forgetting to take them both though, or misplacing them! Feel a bit useless.

I hope you feel better, I've got a history of low iron and being deathly pale, so hopefully these tablets (once I get my act together) can help. smile

As for suggestions I'd say dried apricots, I think raisins may have iron in them too, and some cereals (like weetabix minis) have iron in them too! Not entirely sure but perhaps almonds also have iron in them. Other than that, green veggies as per usual.

Nicky7611 Fri 03-Jun-11 20:16:20

Ukulele

I could have wrote your post! I am 27 weeks, and bone achingly exhausted!

The doc thinks its anaemia, so I have just started iron tablets. I am -ve too, I have my first anti d next week. Maybe we are more suseptable?

I hope you feel better soon, if your like me I am counting down to finishing work (Last day 15th July grin)

jammyscone Sat 04-Jun-11 10:50:40

Non-red-meat sources of iron are dried fruits, whole grains (including wholemeal bread), nuts, green leafy vegetables, seeds, beans, blackstrap molasses (mm, gingerbread! smile), also if you use cast iron to cook with, especially if you're cooking something acidic (like a stir fry with lemon juice/vinegar in a cast iron frying pan) that is also a source.

jammyscone Sat 04-Jun-11 10:52:23

Sorry, forgot to add that I hope you feel better soon as well! I am trying to eat a good diet but am also on a multivitamin AND have floradix in the fridge (but it's a bit horrible so I keep forgetting to take it and have to hold my nose when I drink it!).

Ukulele80 Mon 06-Jun-11 22:22:23

Hi all, thanks v.much for the messages. am on iron tablets now and taking spatone and also trying to eat well as well as multivtamins. was doing all that before except the prescribed iron tablets so god knows how low it would have been otherwise. silly really as I dont know anyone who eats as much blooming spinach as me. will def get on the apricots tho as i like them anyway so thanks for the tip. starting to feel a little bit better, still tired but less "ill" feeling with it at the same time if that makes sense. Nicky 7611 - I have to say I have a feeling that my anti D injection which I had last wednesday might have made me feel a little bit worse, but cant be 100% sure..

harrygracejessica Tue 07-Jun-11 06:00:16

I was badly anaemic too with my last 2 twin pregnancies, never managed to get my levels up well though so even after having them I needed 2 more lots of iron, im due another blood test to check if the levels are back to normal yet as the boys are 7 weeks today and I'm beyond exhausted.

rempy Tue 07-Jun-11 06:05:48

Hiya knackered!

Floradix pretty tasty for an iron preparation, second that suggestion.

Our obstetric unit sometimes does iron transfusions now for women in your situation, although I don't know if that is widespread. If your anaemia is slow to respond you could ask about it, particularly as you are an increased bleeding risk.

Doubt very much if your anti D has made you feel worse and it is absolutely crucial for you to continue it!! Nag over. Interesting idea that you might be more susceptible to anaemia - might search that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now