Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

10 Weeks and work uniform wont fit - WWYD?

(13 Posts)
Dummyhunter Fri 03-Jun-11 09:37:36

Ok so lve just had two weeks off work - my DH hmm anounced last night that l seem to have ballooned a bit (l have to say l have thought that myself and there is a query that it may be two in there) so in an strop to prove a point l put on my work uniform - or rather didnt! The buttons wont do up on my trousers by quite a long way! But my shirt does cover this for the moment. This is made worse that they also have new uniforms on the way and we are expected to start wearing them in 2 weeks - 5 days before my scan.

My direct boss knows that l am pregnant and has done for quite a while as l have had a number of MC (not common knowledge) and l wanted to let her know as l didnt want to have to try and explain time off incase anything happened. Also lm quite an honest person and just cant lie.

I return to work next week and can either do one of two things -

1 - l can go public and tell everyone, which l dont know if l feel comfortable with given my previous history.
2 - buy a pair of maternity trousers and hope no one notices that they arent my usual black ones but this will only cover me until the new uniform arrives which is a very distinct colour.

Any ideas please - l know that pregnancy increases stress issues and emotions but l am getting myself in a bit of a state about it all now

BooBooGlass Fri 03-Jun-11 09:39:26

Buy a black bump band and wear it with your trousers unbuttoned. The topshop ones are about a fiver iirc and are fab.

BooBooGlass Fri 03-Jun-11 09:40:16

And actually, I'd get cracking with ordering a maternity uniform. I know some places can take ages to actually get them for you and it sounds as if you'll need it soon.

silverangel Fri 03-Jun-11 09:42:33

I agree - bump band, I wore them until about 20 weeks to stay in normal trousers and still wearing them now as they support the bump nad I find it really comfy...

I wouldnt have felt comfortiable going public with work at 10 weeks either.

voodoomunkee Fri 03-Jun-11 09:44:23

Agree, buy a bump band or a cheapy boob tube! Explain to the boss that does know and ask to put in an order for the maternity uniform. Ask that they respect your wish to keep this quiet atm due to history. Unfortunately not sure how to get round the new uniform without doing this. Don't get upset or stressed about this, you don't need it.

Dummyhunter Fri 03-Jun-11 09:46:29

Thanks guys - that sounds like a great idea. I knew that there must be a compromise smile

Dummyhunter Fri 03-Jun-11 09:49:16

i know it sounds silly to get so stressed about it but l just couldnt help it - just keeping everything crossed is stress enough at the mo without any added extras!

Do you know if they do the bands on line anywhere as l live pretty rural and shopping is a good day trip away

notasgreenasiamcabbagelooking Fri 03-Jun-11 10:03:21

these are quite good.

Dummyhunter Fri 03-Jun-11 10:17:25

thank you x

harassedinherpants Fri 03-Jun-11 10:22:15

If you need something for right away, use a hair bobble! A decent one not a Primark cheapie (they pinged off!). I'm 10+4weeks and have def exploded!! But it's number 4, and I'd put on weight anyway due to comfort eating after two mc's.

The bobble is keeping me in my jeans at the moment!! Or try an elastic band if the bobble isn't long enough.

SuperheroYuki Fri 03-Jun-11 11:17:29

Congrats btw Dummyhunter! big bump=maybe twins=exciting!!

Dummyhunter Fri 03-Jun-11 12:15:44

Thanks everyone smile feel much better already x

saoirse86 Fri 03-Jun-11 13:04:04

I was really big too but luckily didn't have a uniform and didn't have to hide it as I work for DP! Anyway my big belly turned out to be a few weeks further along than I thought and they could even tell she was a girl at my first scan. smile

If you don't think your maternity uniform will arrive quickly (for after the elastic band can't cope!), maybe you could order one in a bigger size for now.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: