Talk

Advanced search

Preparing for the inevitable!

(11 Posts)
LDNlady Thu 02-Jun-11 20:38:22

Okay, not quite the inevitable as they might have to be broken in hospital but I was wondering if it's worth trying to be ready for my waters breaking or not. Is it worth wearing a maternity pad just in case or when your waters go will a maternity be any use or not? I'm 39+1. TIA.

iWILLdothis Thu 02-Jun-11 20:46:06

i slept on a maternity mat for the last few wks of previous pregnancy and sat only on leather chairs at home and sat on towels in the car.....just in case!!! Can't remember wearing pads though, but that does seem to make sense to me, if it doesn't catch it all, it will help a bit!

G1nger Thu 02-Jun-11 21:08:21

Good question. I've got a lovely bed and settee and really don't want to spoil them! I await more answers eagerly...

EffinNora Thu 02-Jun-11 21:10:46

I put a towel in the bed, under the sheet, just in case. It stayed in place pretty well due to the fitted sheet and it wasn't uncomfortable.

Never needed it, but it made me feel more reassured.

roundthehouses Thu 02-Jun-11 21:13:45

I don´t see how you could prepare really.. I did have a mattress protector on my bed and we put some towels in the back of the car to protect my seat on the way to hospital.. just in case.. in the event in labour 1 my waters broke in bed mostly wetting my pyjamas and labour 2 they broke in the sitting room on the birthingball but again only my trousers really got wet. I guess if I had been wearing a maternity pad it would have kept my trousers drier but then I´d have been more uncomfortable wearing maternity pads for weeks on end waiting for them to break! so not sure what the benefit would be.

Other people seem to experience a veritable flood so not sure what happens then!

ninipops Thu 02-Jun-11 21:15:11

I have put a waterproof mattress protector on our (brand new!) bed. Its got a toweling surface and doesn't feel waterproofy in the least. I've been told in the past that its a good idea to have one of these on the bed anyway as they prevent sweat being absorbed into the mattress which helps prolong the life of the mattress.

PrincessJenga Thu 02-Jun-11 21:30:01

Where did you get that from nini? We also have a brand new bed and I'm worried about wrecking it but couldn't find any proper waterproof mattress protectors so have just got a few of those maternity pads underneath a normal mattress protector (tho I am only 32 weeks! I'm just scared of ruining our new mattress!)

harrygracejessica Thu 02-Jun-11 22:01:49

I had a waterproof mat on the bed where I sleep but my waters broke when I sat on the bed in a different place hahaha. Both tines my waters have gone in bed and a pad was useless!!!!

G1nger Thu 02-Jun-11 22:04:36

This waterproof mattress protector has got children on the cover, so I figure it has to be up to the job... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silentnight-King-Waterproof-Mattress-Protector/dp/B001AGLVC4
Now for the settee 'solution'...

PrincessJenga Thu 02-Jun-11 23:13:52

You inspired me to get myself sorted. I just bought this one Will let you know what it's like when it turns up.

roundthehouses Fri 03-Jun-11 06:59:23

mine was just ikea also towelling on top, very very good idea as after labour 1 I had pretty serious night sweats (not with labour 2) and also lots of leaking once milk came in plus baby vomiting etc etc it is generally a good idea to make sure your mattress is protected!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now