Talk

Advanced search

When to go to hospital?

(8 Posts)
mummy22gorgeousboys Thu 02-Jun-11 20:17:11

Hi,

I'm due to give birth in 3 weeks and when I had my first boy I was in the hospital from 2cm dilated because I thought the pain was unbearable.

This time I'm prepared and I'm staying away froom hospital for as long as possible as I really think this prolonged labour last time.

Anyway, been told to go to hospital when contractions last for about a minute and coming every 5 mins - how far dilated would I be expected to be then?
Or does it depend on the individual?

Thanks!

knackered76 Thu 02-Jun-11 20:20:58

Think it depends on the individual. I've never counted/timed my contractions. Both times previously I had to wait for something before I could go (DH first time, mum to look after dd last time). That meant I ended up getting to hospital at 6cm and 10cm but couldn't tell you how far apart the contractions had been. Stay at home as long as you feel comfortable smile

Coppernoddle Thu 02-Jun-11 21:08:13

My first was 18 hours and very erratic all over the place contractions from the word go, was very stressed and went in early as was being dead sick! My second, I had a home birth which was planned, had the time of my life!! Let me tell you this though, my second was 3 hours and most of that was bearable still chatting having a bath!! I jumped from 3 cm to 7 cm in 15 minutes!!! Then the midwives just got there, and checked me, I was 8 cm with my waters bulging! She popped my waters with her fingers and that second bounced to 10cm, 3 pushes and she was out!!!
Make no mistake your body will know exactly what to do this time and will happen soooooooo much faster than your first!! Yes stay at home but be prepared to make a mad dash and try not to give birth in the car!!!! smile smile smile

MainlyMaynie Thu 02-Jun-11 21:52:18

I'm having a home birth and was told to call the midwives when having 3 contractions in 1 minutes. They also said that would be about the time to get in the birth pool, so about 5cm. No idea if that's really how it will work though!

MainlyMaynie Thu 02-Jun-11 21:52:52

in 10 minutes that is, not 1!

lovemybabyboy Fri 03-Jun-11 12:40:28

I rang the hospital when contractions were about 6 mins apart, they told me to wait at home longer, get in the bath (which i didnt do as couldnt get off the bed with the pain!!)
When my contractions were about 3 to 5 mins apart my DH insisted on calling the hospital again as i was really in a lot of pain, I think he was a bit worried bless him!
Anyway when I got in they left me in a waiting room for what seemed like ages! then got me to do a urine sample (where i found i had a massive show in the toilet, which scared me half to death! hahaha!), then finally they brought me in to another room to examine me.....I dont know who was more shocked, me or the midwife, when she found that I was already 5cm dilated!!! (I had phoned my mum before going in telling her i was going in but would probably be sent back home!! hahaha!! I think i was in denial!!)
It does worry me a bit for this time Ill be 20 weeks tomorrow, but always worry thinking ill be one of those women who give birth in the car/carpark/door way of hospital!

saoirse86 Fri 03-Jun-11 12:55:41

I was told in antenatal classes (at the hospital I gave birth in) to go in when they're 4 minutes apart and lasting a minute. I did that but was told I wasn't in "established" labour as I was only 5cm. I was a bit confused but I agreed to go home.

I went in again when they were 3 minutes apart and still lasting a minute or thereabouts. When I was examined, they found I was 7cm dilated.

I was told afterwards the reason I was sent home was probably more to do with the fact I seemed to be coping ok and hadn't asked for any pain relief.

I think it's different for each person. I'd say go in when you feel you need the support of MW's and/or pain relief, not just when your contractions are a certain time apart.

ginmakesitallok Fri 03-Jun-11 13:07:05

can beat that lovemybaby boy - when midwife finally got round to checking me after saying I wasn't in established labour and my waters HADN'T gone I was 9cm.....had her in my arms 45 mins later.

With both my DDs I went into hospital around lunchtime, got sent home, went back in at around 7 to hmm from mws and had DD at 10.04 and DD2 at 8.45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now