Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

12 days past EDD, desperate for VBAC but under pressure to be induced!

(5 Posts)
KWright Thu 02-Jun-11 18:42:47

Hey ladies,

I really need some advice. This is my 2nd pregnancy. I had an ECC at 32 wks with my DD. After last time, I'm desperate for as natural a birth as possible and to use hypnobirthing techniques. I'm now 12 days past my EDD. Had what I thought was going to be a routine check up today to 'discuss induction', but the consultant wanted to break my waters and keep me in hospital. Managed to escape with just a stretch and sweep (the MW managed to just get a finger tip in, though the head is low and my cervix is soft). They're expecting me back first thing tomorrow morning to break my waters. I'd much rather just wait, but the consultant is keen to get the baby here before the weekend - which I'm worried will mean that if I go in tomorrow and things aren't happening quick enough, I'll end up with another c-section.

Going by my dates, I'm only 7 days past EDD - but dating scan is putting me at 12 days over.

Thanks,

Kay

jasmine51 Thu 02-Jun-11 19:05:01

Hmmm, you hold out for the birth you want. Is there any medical reason the consultant is keen for you to birth before the weekend? Why cant they just monitor you, daily if necessary? I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along shortly with better advice but I might be a bit biased because I am booked in for an induction before my due date and its because the consultant doesnt want me labouring over a weekend due to 'lower staff levels'...made me angry..in fact still am and will therefore be requesting monitoring instead. I wouldnt put my LO at risk but I refuse to fit in with the hospitals schedule!

helsbels999 Thu 02-Jun-11 20:04:07

Try joining/posting on the Yahoo VBAC group - they are much more informed than me but can tell you a bit more about the pros/cons of holding on if you don't want to be induced.

Personally i would hold for at least a few more days - they should be able to monitor you daily as jasmine says - what is the risk for you ATM?

Isn't World Health guidelines that you aren't overdue till something like 2 weeks anyway?

jenjins Thu 02-Jun-11 20:20:40

What about getting your midwife to give you a sweep. I has e crash section with my first and to avoid being induced second time around, the consultant and midwife suggested having sweeps. I had two and after the second one i actually went into labour two days after the second sweep at 40+2 which i never did with first baby as was induced then. I did end up with another section as although i was contracting regularly, her head was so high that i never got passed 2cms. I am now 10 weeks and hoping for a VBA2C but am aware that the chances are slim.

All the best and i hope you get your VBAC.....

KWright Thu 02-Jun-11 20:47:10

Thanks guys. I'm going to phone the hospital tomorrow and refuse the induction. As a compromise, I'm prepared to be monitored and have a sweep.

Until then I'm trying everything I can to get these contractions started of their own accord - I've just walked 3 miles and drank pots and pots of RLT!

Yip, same as you Jasmine - the only reason they want my baby out before the weekend is that it's more convenient for them!

Thanks jenjins - you too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: