Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Weight gain at 20wks

(24 Posts)
apples82 Thu 02-Jun-11 15:25:26

So i'm 20+3 and shocked myself rotten today when I stepped on the scales, and from pre-pregnancy weight I have put on A STONE!!!

Is a stone in the first 20 weeks more than pregnancy weight?

I feel it might be blush

slowshow Thu 02-Jun-11 15:26:23

Sounds totally normal to me. Everything I've read seems to suggest that around a stone is bang on for 20 weeks.

jan2011 Thu 02-Jun-11 15:37:50

i think everyone puts on weight at different times throughout their pregnancy, i am 23 weeks and have put on a lot in the last 2 weeks just. but i refuse to weigh myself as i don't want to know my weight, i think it will freak me out seeing it go up so quick. as long as they tell me its fine, and the baby is fine, i am justgoing to concentrate on being healthy and showing off my bump! xx

apples82 Thu 02-Jun-11 15:42:42

That's how I kind of feel jan2011, the only reason I weighed myself was because last time I saw the consultant (3 weeks ago) he said I need to watch that i'm not eating too much so my weight doesn't go up to far. I was a 16 pre-pregnancy and am now wearing 16 maternity clothes.

I don't feel that I'm eating excessively, I've uped my fruit intake drastically, but i'm not snacking in between meals etc.

I wanted to tell the consultant to sod off, he doesn't have the option to have a baby so he should sod off about my weight grin

lolajane2009 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:06:36

i think i gained about the same tbh. I am now nearly 25 weeks and have no idea as hubby has hidden my scales.

dribbleface Thu 02-Jun-11 16:08:57

I put on 1 stone by 15 weeks, but stayed the same weight unitl now 22 weeks. Sounds normal to me

www.gurgle.com had a good weight calculator thingy.

jan2011 Thu 02-Jun-11 17:59:49

yeh i think the consultants can be pretty insensitive at times! of course you are going to put on weight, ur carrying a baby! and the last thing u need when you are going through so much is to be constantly worrying about your weight - it would be different if you had a terrible diet but you are doing really well. they all say not to diet during pregnancy anyway - just to be healthy. and if ur the same size in maternity clothes then you can't have put extra weight on apart from the baby weight smile ur doing great

Curlyems Thu 02-Jun-11 18:15:58

To my dismay, I have gained nearly 4 stone at 24 weeks. My consultant was shocked at how much it sounded but said that I didn't look as if I was carrying an extra 4 stone and that much of it could be fluid/water retention and that every woman carries her pregnancy differently. The weight gain is the only downside for me in being pregnant.

Wormshuffler Thu 02-Jun-11 18:17:47

I dread to think how much I am going to put on.............I'm only 8 weeks and can only keep the MS at bay by eating carbs pretty much constantly until 5pm.

Isthreetoomany Thu 02-Jun-11 18:48:38

I think this is really normal, everyone has to gain the weight although different people gain the weight at different points.
I am 14 weeks and trying to make sure that I just eat when I am hungry. I don't want to know exactly how much I weigh though as I think it would freak me out a bit. Also I don't think you have to be weighed in pregnancy if you don't want to be (or you can be weighed but ask not to be told exactly what you weigh).

apples82 Fri 03-Jun-11 09:20:05

I agree that consultants can be insensitive. As if a woman isn't sensitive enough about her body when she's pregnant, now I have a scowling little man making silly comments.

Grr, thanks for all your comments, I feel a bit better now smile

saoirse86 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:35:24

I put on 16lbs by 16 weeks! I didn't even have the excusethat eating made morning sickness better because I didn't even have morning sickness. blush

Cattleprod Fri 03-Jun-11 10:41:01

I have put on a stone at 19 weeks. Given strict instructions by midwife to eat and drink more so I have been trying hard to stuff my face!!

marshy2b Fri 03-Jun-11 16:34:30

this blog has cheered me up no end! about an hour ago, a colleague at work walked into my office and exclaimed.. "my god, your f***ing huge, your way too big".. to which i got flustered and embarrassed and made some joke about too many biscuits.. i am 24 weeks and have put on 11lb.. can i safely say this colleague is just a bit of a bitch??? It amazes me how people can just say what they want, if you mentioned she has a backside the size of Asia, i may get in trouble!!

Blobby11 Fri 03-Jun-11 17:28:51

I'm 28 weeks and have put on a stone. All my colleagues keep telling me I'm to small but doctor says I'm measuring spot on

G1nger Fri 03-Jun-11 17:38:26

I'm not looking. I'm just eating healthily and have no wish to upset myself with weighing scales.

Beesok Fri 03-Jun-11 17:54:17

She is a bitch marshy smile I'm almost 21 wks and put on 11lbs smile and I don't really think it's too much - def doesn't look it!

Curlyems Fri 03-Jun-11 18:18:04

Looks can be very deceiving. As I said in an earlier post, I have gained 4 stone at 24 weeks which is beyond excessive (causing both my consultant and anyone else with whom I have shared this level of detail to recoil in horror). They all say that I don't look as if I have put on 4 stone and it must be mainly fluids etc as I do not appear to have put on loads of fat. Oh I don't know but I feel pretty low about it...

Beesok Sat 04-Jun-11 00:09:19

Curly I agree that looks are not everything but also it depends on you individual bone structure - I was pretty fit before I got pregnant but had just put on a few (2-3) kgs due to a loooong Christmas break and after I got my BPF I couldn't/didn't want to exercise that much - having said that putting on 5kg halfway through the pregnancy can't be that bad? smile And my weight seems to fluctuate - sometimes I way up to 2kg less!! I think it's slight water retention ;)

StrawberryMewMew Sat 04-Jun-11 00:25:27

Getting a bit worried here. :/ I am 22 weeks and haven't gained a lb from my pre-pregnancy weight! :/

I eat loads as well.

PenguinArmy Sat 04-Jun-11 06:41:05

My OB had a go because I had put on 5lbs instead of 4lbs at one point (obviously earlier on). He is obsessed with the magical 25lbs gain split into 5, 10 and 10 and on my first appointment told me I needed to eat more. Never been so stressed about scales and weigh ins ever. Prick!

Am 21 weeks gained about between 10 and 15lbs (so about a stone), can also feel I'm a lot less active (damn overtime doesn't leave time for normal exercise). Last time gained 26lbs in total, about half of it was in the final trimester.

strawberry did you lose weight in your first trimester or cut down a lot on exercise?

saoirse86 Sat 04-Jun-11 10:01:42

penguin what would your OB have to say about me putting on 4 stone 9lb by my due date? wink I'm now 13lbs heavier than my pre-pregnacy weight, which I don't think is that bad considering the only exercise I do is going to the park and eat my weight in biscuits each week! grin

StrawberryMewMew Sat 04-Jun-11 11:27:30

Penguin Didn't think of it like that. Yes I did lose weight quite a lot and still seem to be losing most of the time. hmm

PenguinArmy Sat 04-Jun-11 22:01:38

saoirse If I was staying I would change OBs

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: