Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Is it safe to eat mayo from a shop bought sandwhich?

(21 Posts)
kri5ty Thu 02-Jun-11 12:27:59

hi

I have been buying my sandwhiches from boots as they use pasturised eggs in their mayo..

i just bought one from sainsburys and ate it without checking the ingredients,,, it didnt say anuthing about it being ok... my thinking is it shouldnt contain raw eggs as it is pre packaged??

But i want to make sure lol

icravecheese Thu 02-Jun-11 12:35:58

Its fine - there is no-way sainsburys would be hand making mayo to put in their sandwiches - it'll be from one of those massive ready-made-already-pasteurized tubs of mayo.

I think the only places that tend to make their own mayo nowadays would be gastro pubs & posh restuarants... its too much of a fuss otherwise - my MIL sometimes hand makes mayo & it takes forever to make just a tiny amount!

FWIW, I was busy scoffing some tasty fried fish in spain the other week, with garlic aioli....then our spanish friends informed me "oh all their mayo / aioli is made from scratch, isnt it delicious"... arghhh!! Raw egg!! But I certainly havent noticed myself suffering from salmonella since consuming it, so all is fine. Phew!

kri5ty Thu 02-Jun-11 12:38:18

Phew i thought so! And phew for you too! Im sure the odd mishap is fine lol

I went to a lovely pub last week where i always have their home made garlic mayo... and was so upset when my boyfriend sat there happily eating it, and i couldnt have any :-(

icravecheese Thu 02-Jun-11 12:43:12

I know, its really hard, my husband bought loads of cured meats / sausages / chorizo etc on hols in spain & has sat at home scoffing it along with our kids... whilst I have to sit & watch sad. But its not for long, so i'll make up for it once babe has arrived!

I ALWAYS manage to consume something I shouldnt, every single pregnancy, without meaning to. Pregnant brain makes me loopy & forgetful!

kri5ty Thu 02-Jun-11 12:50:38

Oh and i have rasberry tea in my cupboard as i only drink herbal tea... had 2 cups snd realised that it can cause mc in early pregnancy ooops

figgygal Thu 02-Jun-11 12:54:44

I ate lemon curd cake yesterday and then realised it was a no no cant imagine small quantities of things that are off limit when they are by accident are a big risk....or are they?

icravecheese Thu 02-Jun-11 12:57:38

oh dear!! I think you'd have to drink PINTS of the stuff for it to do anything untoward... Was told by Neals Yard that the tea is exceptionally weak, tablets much stronger, so I took them daily in last few weeks of my 2nd preg... dont actually think they did a thing tho!!

kri5ty Thu 02-Jun-11 13:00:48

figgy i want cheesecake so badly!! i have been told by people i can... and by others i cant im so confuzzled lol

icravecheese haha i just had a giggle at your name actualy! i havent had any probs so far... will just put them right on the top shelf so i cant reach them and have any pregnancy brain mishaps lol

icravecheese Thu 02-Jun-11 13:02:56

figgygal - I wouldnt worry at all, like I said, I manage to consume something, by total mistake, every single pregnancy, that I shouldnt have had.

The tasty fried fish that I scoffed with the homemade garlic aioli (see my daft post above!)... dear spanish friends also informed us after i'd eaten 4 or so pieces, that the fish is a type of shark.... WHAAAT??!! Shark is out too!! I didnt realise, nothing I can do now, was such a small amount though so I'm not worrying (I'm on preg no.3 now, I think i'd have worried myself into a mental asylum if I continued my food worrying like I did in pregs 1 & 2!). xx

LuluLozenge Thu 02-Jun-11 13:06:56

Re: rasperry leaf tea, the MD of Holland&Barret recently admitted they (or the ones from H&B) do naff all!

What on earth is wrong with cheesecake?! I eat it all the time.

Folicacid Thu 02-Jun-11 13:14:38

Kri5ty you can have cheesecake if it's a baked one, like a new york style one as the egg is cooked.

kri5ty Thu 02-Jun-11 13:27:43

yayyy so i can eat baked ones :-) well thats better than nothing haha

lulu... i cant believe they admitted that, makes me wonder what else of theirs does naf all!!

LuluLozenge Thu 02-Jun-11 15:11:02

Exactly! Snake oil, the lot of it ... smile

ruddynorah Thu 02-Jun-11 15:17:59

You can also have the non baked home made ones you do with Philadelphia.

sazzermol Thu 02-Jun-11 17:06:46

Eel is lemon curd a no no . Had some on toast this morning shock

sazzermol Thu 02-Jun-11 17:07:25

eek not eel confused

lolajane2009 Thu 02-Jun-11 17:42:16

lemon curd is fine tbh.

RickGhastley Thu 02-Jun-11 17:50:46

Lemon curd is like mayo - supermarket stuff fine as has pasturised egg in it. I think some home made ones may not have pasturised egg.

kri5ty Fri 03-Jun-11 08:36:36

hmmm do you think good old iceland's £1 cheescakes are safe? lol

tiokiko Fri 03-Jun-11 08:53:38

The egg is cooked in lemon curd so you're OK either way!

Raspberry tea is fine, it's specifically raspberry leaf tea that you can use to strengthen the uterus later in pregnancy.

kri5ty Mon 06-Jun-11 08:13:52

ruddynorah i made a cheesecake with philly at the weekend thanks so much for telling me about it mmmmm smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: