Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Should we be worried about E Coli

(4 Posts)
emmazed Thu 02-Jun-11 11:36:02

Hello

Sorry if this is in the wrong place and sounds v paranoid, but i am 22 weeks pregnant. i live in the UK, and i know there are no links to food here yet, but should we stop eating salad/raw fruit/veg for the time being? anyone with any medical/scientific knowledge understand how to avoid this?

thanks
x

jasmine51 Thu 02-Jun-11 11:40:31

I think the current advice (which doesnt actually differ from previous advice anyway) is to wash all salad and fruit/veg before eating. They havent made clear yet exactly what is causing it or whether the e coli is in or on the food but washing carefully is what they are recommending atm

candr Thu 02-Jun-11 11:54:46

Am washing all mine but am growing some too, was a good excuse to buy some more plants and pots so look forward to my own healthy cucumbers. The guy at the nursery said they have nearly sold out of salad plants in te last couple of days due to the scare.

kri5ty Thu 02-Jun-11 12:53:11

I'd just say avoid products from spain, and germany (as germany imports and re packages)

The strain of e coli invloved is in the actual cucumber itself, so just washing it wont help...

In spain they are also being advised not to eat tomatos..
But uK one are fine :-) x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: