Talk

Advanced search

Having wedding ring cut off - is this normal?

(20 Posts)
wolfhound Thu 02-Jun-11 08:45:58

Going to a jeweller this weekend to get my wedding ring & engagement ring cut off as they won't come off my finger and are getting quite tight and uncomfortable with red marks underneath.

I'm 8 mths pregnant which is presumably the reason, but it just seems strange because my hands don't look any different - not puffy or swollen. Are my hands mysteriously growing? This is my 3rd pregnancy in 4 years and I think my hands seem to have got a bit larger with each one, as rings have got more snug each time.

Not planning to have any more babies, but if I did, perhaps my hands would turn into man's hands....?

Oh and my feet are also larger (can't cram them into anything but open toe sandals) but again not swollen or puffy...

icravecheese Thu 02-Jun-11 08:50:52

my feet always mysteriouly get bigger when I am pregnant... I have a pair of ballet shoes that I bought just before falling pregnant for the first time 4 yrs ago, they fitted perfectly inititally, then I couldnt wear them for over a year, even after birth they were too tight. I think it probably is abit of fluid retention, but perhaps not noticeable puffiness or swollen-ness. I always take my rings off at around 7 months preg... even though, like you, my hands never look puffy, I'm guessing they must be slightly bigger than normal during preg. Stupid Q, but have you tried soap / loads of olive oil? Just to save actually cutting the rings....

Mizza76 Thu 02-Jun-11 09:14:31

I never had to get my wedding ring cut off, but after my last baby my rings wouldn't fit on my fingers for a good few months...

wolfhound Thu 02-Jun-11 09:34:17

Glad to hear I'm not alone, and that it might go back to normal. I should have taken the rings off MUCH earlier (i.e. in the previous pregnancy...) as I haven't been able to get them off since then - wasn't too worried about it as they weren't uncomfortable, but now getting rather too tight. I have heard of the old-fashioned thing of 'losing a tooth for every baby' but not of losing a finger, so think had better do something. Phoned the jeweller and they didn't seem too surprised at the request. It will just be a pain having to not wear them for quite a while till I see what size my finger ends up as...

dribbleface Thu 02-Jun-11 09:56:52

Before you have them cut off have you tried wrapping your finger tight in ribbon up to the ring, pass the ribbon under the ring and then start to unravel. Saw this once on an a & e programme many years ago. No idea if it works but maybe worth a try?

silverangel Thu 02-Jun-11 10:18:21

I've taken mine off - otherwise in a couple of weeks I'll be getting them cut off! I currently have sausage fingers and trotter feet - it is not a good look!!

wolfhound Thu 02-Jun-11 11:35:15

will try the ribbon trick and let you know. would be surprised though, my knuckle is significantly larger than the diameter of the ring now!

silverangel well done for taking yours off in time! ha! re: trotter feet smile

NewMummy5July2011 Thu 02-Jun-11 11:38:56

I'm 35 ish weeks and I took mine off last week - my fingers don't look swollen but my rings were getting tighter and tighter. I put my hand under cold water for a while, then used some vaseline and they came off ok that way. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

candr Thu 02-Jun-11 11:52:27

I have been taking mine off at night as the pain of swollen hands was waking me. Think I might have to start wearing it on a chain but am worried I will loose it, sounds silly but I don't want to not have it with me for next few months. Have you tried soaking hands in cold water to get ring off rather than cutting it - or try the ribbon thing, have seen that myself and it worked really well.

Hormoneoverload Thu 02-Jun-11 13:47:19

Definitely would have happened to me-got my rings off just before they became scarily tight. Have bought cheap silver ring for now-felt bare without. Actually I now like it more than the proper ones!

candr Thu 02-Jun-11 13:49:18

Ohh, that is a good idea, will put an old favourite that is normally to big for that finger on instead

MotherPanda Thu 02-Jun-11 13:56:46

Oh no! can they be repaired if they are cut off?

Have you tried dipping your hand in a hug of water, with loads of ice cubes in? I did this today to get my engagement ring off, but have left my wedding ring on. am 33 weeks atm.it took about 10 mins of jiggling around, and rubbing ice cubes on my fingers.

LorettaMasonPotts Thu 02-Jun-11 14:16:40

I had my wedding ring cut off (not pregnant, just fat).

The lady who did it was very sad at the symbolism of it (marriage had broken down) and repaired my ring without charge. I did buy another one though so they weren't out of pocket really.

The repair was excellent and I've just sold the ring smile

MotherPanda Thu 02-Jun-11 16:08:51

So how do they fix them? Do they melt them?

LorettaMasonPotts Thu 02-Jun-11 20:05:14

I assume they use gold solder to join the cut edges together. Mine was done so well that the join didn't show and thankfully it wasn't through the hallmark.

You can have the ring made a little bigger by having a small piece of gold inserted - bands without stones are easier I was told. Obviously this will cost a bit, given the high price of gold just now.

G1nger Thu 02-Jun-11 20:28:21

Re how they fix them, I once had mine made smaller... and for the life of me I couldn't tell how they did such a perfect job. They were smaller, but looked EXACTLY the same.

mookickkick Thu 02-Jun-11 20:33:27

just removed my ring today to avoid having it cut off later. been generally puffy all day, in fact. probably the heat!

ShowOfHands Thu 02-Jun-11 20:37:11

I removed mine at 34 weeks with dd and put them back on when she was 6 months. My fingers are actually smaller now I think but at the end of pregnancy my rings would not have gone at all.

wolfhound Thu 09-Jun-11 10:03:35

Ring was wedged too tightly for ribbon trick. Had it cut off by jeweller - who didn't charge and said he did this for quite a few pregnant women! Afterwards my finger had purple marks round it under where the rings were - and there is still a slight indentation several days later, so think it was just as well I had it done. DS1 fascinated by watching it done (tho' a bit worried when the jeweller joked about cutting off my finger...)

mrsravelstein Thu 09-Jun-11 10:06:09

i had to take mine off at about 30 weeks with ds1, he was a summer baby and i was very puffy. ds2 and dd were winter babies and i didn't puff up at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now