Talk

Advanced search

OMG; Talk about itchy feet.....

(13 Posts)
nicki1978 Wed 01-Jun-11 23:21:37

Hi Peeps,

I'm currently 37+3 with our first DS and can not wait to meet him grin.

I have had a really good easy pregnancy so far [touch wood emoticon] despite my midwife's initial reaction of "Your pregnancy will be at risk as your BMI is higher than NHS Guidelines", which I'm eternily greatful for.

But, that all changed back end of last week; it's my feet they are driving me insane (probably a curse for being an easy pregnancy, lol), they are itching something rotten; my DH is concerned that I'm going to gouge the skin off my feet, but also finds it very funny when I use various parts of the house to get some relief (ie edge of carpeted steps, furniture, etc).

I have found a couple of hours of relief by using my psoriasis cream (Alphosyl), but I can only use it in small doses and only for a couple of days at a time before taking a break from it for a week (doctors instructions). Has anyone else had this itchy problem and found the perfect solution for it?

Many thanks for any advice. Nic :-)

going Wed 01-Jun-11 23:25:29

Will watch this as I have awfully itch feet (not pregnant) I was given cortisone cream by gp which helped for a while ut it's back even worse !

HarderToKidnap Wed 01-Jun-11 23:28:07

Hi,

I don't want to worry you at all, but what you are describing can be a symptom of obstetric cholestasis, a rare pregnancy liver disease. You need to call your hospital labour ward tomorrow morning, sooner if you feel a decrease in movements.

Best of luck

Orbinator Thu 02-Jun-11 00:14:49

I was going to say the same - here's a link. My friend had it, they sorted out tablets and she is fine and had a lovely healthy girl a few weeks ago smile
www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/obstetriccholestasis1.shtml

silverangel Thu 02-Jun-11 08:25:14

I agree - classic symptom of OC, often with itchy palms too - get yourself checked out...

caz05 Thu 02-Jun-11 08:38:43

I suffered from the dreaded itchy feet in my first pregnancy in the last month in the height of the summer and am getting it again the second time round (due in 9 days). I tend to get it at the end of the day especially when the weather has been on the warmer side and have found that sitting with my feet in a bowl of cold water helps and if I get it whilst in bed a drape an ince cold flannel over them which helps until I can get to sleep. I only get it on the side of my feet and it drives me nuts sometimes.

My midwife was not concerned about the possibility of having obstetric cholestasis but I would defo get it checked out with them or your doctor first to be on the same side.

StyleandBooty Thu 02-Jun-11 08:47:53

If it's OC you're going to meet your little one quite soon!

rachyaimeelou Thu 02-Jun-11 09:09:08

iv been usin e45 foot n heel cream and this seems to keep my feet from itchin, but if i was u wear flip flops instead of shoes as this will help keep ur feet cool and refrain from wearing socks in the house, i had awful water retention with my dd so my feet were constantly itchy so iv not taken any chances with this one xx

kri5ty Thu 02-Jun-11 10:20:54

hey Hun, yes as said in the posts above call your hospital ward.. Its a sign of OC, better to be safe xx

candr Thu 02-Jun-11 11:58:50

Try a cold water bottle, hope it helps

nicki1978 Thu 02-Jun-11 19:46:39

Hi guys. Many thanks for the replies; it just so happened that the lastast Pregnancy and Birth mangazine had a small piece on itchy feet and possible links with OC. It did however state that it's just not itchy feet it will be accommpanied by itching elsewhere. I'd just put it down to the fact my feet / ankles and wrists have started swelling slightly and I were rather large full trainer type shoes all day and my feet are very warm.

Thank you Orbinator for the link; I've just been having a read and in particular the other symptoms of OC and other than the itchy feet I have no other symptoms.

Although, strangely my feet have hardly itched at all today; but still I will definitely keep an eye on things, now that I know of this and the symptoms.

Think I'll give it a day or so and if there's no marked improvement I'll call the hospital.

Many thanks again for your kind help xxx

terf Thu 02-Jun-11 20:13:07

I would highly highly recommend you contact the hospital. I had OC and just had itchy hands and feet. It's really not good for the baby if you do have it.

fifitot Thu 02-Jun-11 20:16:39

Yes sympathise. Had itchy feet all the way through last pregnancy. it was murder. I used to take Piriton when it was really bad but it isn't recommended in pregnancy, though no real research into it, just the usual telling you not to take it stuff. It was fine though and did help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now