Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a carrycot AND a moses basket?

(19 Posts)
ButterflySally Wed 01-Jun-11 22:39:51

I have a carrycot that is for use with my pram. We have a standard cot for the baby but I don't anticipate putting him in it in his own room till he's a few months older. I was planning on using a moses basket in our bedroom when he's first born. Can I use the carrycot instead of a moses basket? Or do I need both? They seem quite similar to me but I wouldn't really know.

I'm sorry if this is a silly, naive question...

lollystix Wed 01-Jun-11 22:47:45

Moses baskets are total waste of money in my opinion. Had one with ds1 and didn't use it with ds2 or 3. As long As the carry cot is completely flat that will be fine.

Isthreetoomany Thu 02-Jun-11 00:18:22

No you don't need a carrycot and a moses basket. I had a moses basket for DC1, didn't use it with DC2. Now expecting DC3. The moses basket is used as a play cot for DDs dolls, and I don't see any need to buy a new one for DC3. You just need the one, flat place for a newborn to sleep. And they are only in them for a few months before they start to look cramped in them - I really wouldn't bother.

Tommy Thu 02-Jun-11 00:20:46

no - moses basket didn't get used for long here at all. The carry cot is probably a better bet anyway as you can take your baby straight from bed out for a walk!!

madwomanintheattic Thu 02-Jun-11 00:34:22

i borrowed a moses basket for the first few weeks with dd1, and and then again with the next two. have never owned a carry cot. grin

going Thu 02-Jun-11 00:35:24

I agree you only need one. I used the moses basket a lot with my three.

cat64 Thu 02-Jun-11 00:39:46

Message withdrawn

cat64 Thu 02-Jun-11 00:41:02

Message withdrawn

missnevermind Thu 02-Jun-11 00:47:41

I have both.
This will be my 4th DC and I have always had a carrycot and a moses basket.
And use them every day.
Personally I would not put the baby to bed at night in the carry cot as it is for going out in, so it has outside germs on it grin (Yes I know I am loopy)

BertieBotts Thu 02-Jun-11 00:54:50

Wouldn't the carrycot part be under the raincover though, cat64?

nannyl Thu 02-Jun-11 08:47:27

I have both

the carrycot for my mountain buggy, and a moses basket (and keep eyeing up wooden cribs as well blush)
my carry cot seems much narrower than my moses basket. Im sure it will be fine when we are out and about for a few months, but to me the moses basket seems to have more room.
I guess it depends which one you buy (My (little) cousins had a Jane carry cot and as far as a I remember it seemed larger than my mountain buggy one)

Hormoneoverload Thu 02-Jun-11 13:44:38

Second the upstairs and downstairs option, but also trying to borrow Moses basket if you can.

eurochick Thu 02-Jun-11 16:03:46

missnevermind why are "outside germs" problematic at night but not during the day....?

And while we're on the subject, what are "outside germs" and why are they bad?

missnevermind Thu 02-Jun-11 21:39:20

Eurochick I know in my head that there is no real problem grin
but I reason to myself that in the day the baby is in and out of the carrycot. But at night you want to put them down and for them to sleep as long as possible (so more exposure)
The outside germs thing - I don't wear shoes in the house I wear indoor shoes or slippers. To me the carrycot is the same sort of thing.

madwomanintheattic Thu 02-Jun-11 21:49:15

grin give it a year or two and the child will be sitting on the lawn eating worms. grin

missnevermind Fri 03-Jun-11 01:06:18

Or give him 13years mad woman and you will be threatening to bury him up to his neck in the feckin lawn!
And his socks are the most toxic thing you know.

madwomanintheattic Fri 03-Jun-11 05:27:31

would they be indoor or outdoor socks? <innocent>

ew. feet germs.

<and it's about 9 years here. i can't wait another 4...>

frakyouveryverymuch Fri 03-Jun-11 05:46:35

My carrycot apparently isn't suitable for nights but we have a bedside crib anyway.

It depends on your pram.

SlightlyScrambled Fri 03-Jun-11 08:12:42

I had a cradle and it never got used. DD insisted the only way she'd sleep was co-sleeping. Glad that it was a borrowed one. She was the same with the carrycot, never slept in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now