Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pregnancy v toddlers - which is harder?

(18 Posts)
Newmummytobe79 Wed 01-Jun-11 15:57:14

Hi all,

Up to now I’ve had quite a good pregnancy and I’m just starting to struggle a little now with tiredness and my emotions. My friends with children keep checking I’m taking it easy (I work long hours, quite a way from home) and are concerned about my well being (which is lovely!) … I am a bit of a stress head and don’t like to admit when I’m feeling overworked/tired/emotional etc and could just do with a helping hand … but when I look at my friends with two or more under 4’s I just can’t imagine how they get through each day without being physically and emotionally drained – especially those working near on full time hours.

So … should I revel in their concern … or are they secretly thinking ‘poor c*w - she doesn’t have a clue what’s about to hit her’! wink

supadupapupascupa Wed 01-Jun-11 16:00:11

a week ago i would have said toddler definitely.

morning sickness has kicked in good and proper so i would now say pregnancy.

Snuppeline Wed 01-Jun-11 16:00:59

When pregnant you can think of your own needs before anyone elses but when you have a child the child's needs come first. Does mean that you put off sleep to do laundry so the little mite has clothes on etc etc. So I think life with a child is harder than pregnancy (if pregnancy is normal obviously). However, you quickly adapt and learn to multitask. Get the father involved from birth and you will have an extra set of hands to take over when you need a rest - you'll be fine!

Bluetinkerbell Wed 01-Jun-11 17:46:01

the combination wink specially when you've got a toddler with an ear infection...

SunSoakedStone Wed 01-Jun-11 20:21:40

have to agree, the combination is the worst!

iWILLdothis Wed 01-Jun-11 20:28:52

just what I was going to say, sun and blue......difficult pregnancy with a toddler is definitely hard...
anyway, newmummy, you're not in that boat (yet! wink )....so try to enjoy this pregnancy without another little one to run around after, and just cross each bridge as you come to it when LO arrives. you're lucky to have so many caring friends.

LadyOfTheCuntryManor Wed 01-Jun-11 20:35:34

I'm pregnant and I have a 14 month old.

Pregnancy is hard WITH a toddler. Morning sickness (hyperemesis in my case) makes caring for my little boy very hard...and I feel so crap depending on my husband so much.

Be glad when the pregnancy is over 26 weeks and counting!

quickchat Wed 01-Jun-11 21:02:27

Pregnancy.

Toddlers (your own one) are adorable, cute and funny and you can forgive their naughty days as soon as they run for a big cuddle and say 'lub oo'. You will love your boy/girl so much your heart will burst when they have pensioners melting at their feet with their cuteness and you'll think 'he/she's mine'.

What the feck is cute about puking, swollen feet, swelling up like a balloon, exhaustion from no where, the unknown fear of labour/birth, I could go on obviously - your reward is still to come.

I have a 4 yr old and a 17 month old, give me them over PG anyday.

Mind you, pregnancy WITH a toddler.......it's character building!

RunJHC Wed 01-Jun-11 21:05:48

Toddlers - great when they're in a good mood, but always tiring.

I'm 20 weeks with my second - DS is 2 years - agree that the combo is toughest! We are also moving house which doesn't help - I have been stripping woodchip wallpaper every weekend when I'm not chasing around after DS.

I have vague memories of being lazy and looked after by DH in my 1st pregnancy. Now I think he's barely noticed my bump - he'll get a surprise in October wink

Lots of luck - it's all good fun really x

edwinbear Wed 01-Jun-11 21:43:09

Toddlers for me, I don't have to give it a second thought. My 21 month old is such a handful I keep forgetting I'm 15 weeks pregnant :-)

MrsVidic Thu 02-Jun-11 06:47:50

31 weeks pg with a 23 month old. I can officially say for me pg is worse. My toddler is tiring but you get so much out of them ( let me also say that going to work is a break so if you thing your friends working full time look worn out Think about sahm!) I do 2 days a week and it's my me time!

However some people love being preg, I hate it! I am usually fit and svelt so swelling up and loosing fitness does my head in! I do however love being a mummy and find that side of things easier! It all depends on what your like as a person. I have friends who are really struggling withthe toddler stage, friends who struggled in the baby stage and friends like me who struggle in preg. There's one thing we all aggree on tho it's well worth it!

worm77daisy Thu 02-Jun-11 07:16:09

38 weeks pregnant here with a 2.4 year old DD.

Tiring.

However, I think that when the baby arrives I will know the TRUE meaning of tired expecially as DH has no paternity leave. smile

MrsVidic Thu 02-Jun-11 07:38:23

31 weeks pg with a 23 month old. I can officially say for me pg is worse. My toddler is tiring but you get so much out of them ( let me also say that going to work is a break so if you thing your friends working full time look worn out Think about sahm!) I do 2 days a week and it's my me time!

However some people love being preg, I hate it! I am usually fit and svelt so swelling up and loosing fitness does my head in! I do however love being a mummy and find that side of things easier! It all depends on what your like as a person. I have friends who are really struggling withthe toddler stage, friends who struggled in the baby stage and friends like me who struggle in preg. There's one thing we all aggree on tho it's well worth it!

Longtalljosie Thu 02-Jun-11 07:53:01

Pregnancy, every time. Don't worry about the naysayers, people who say (in hushed tones) if you think it's hard now... They're not in your body and everyone's different (same goes for the experience of caring for a baby / child). In my case, I had awful back pain in late pregnancy, and now I have a toddler and it's a total breeze in comparison. But I must admit, I'm slightly apprehensive about the idea of baby + toddler!

PhyllisDiller Thu 02-Jun-11 08:29:25

I find nothing harder than pregnancy, throw anything you like at me when I'm not pregnant and I'll cope!

Currently I get to the end of the day and feel like I have 3 bags of sugar attached to each arm. Combination is definitely the worst though, however by the time you are on number 3 in some ways it's easier because the days go so much faster and it's not all completely new, you can be a bit more laid back because you don't have so much to get ready (I think I have a about 3 essential items on my list to buy that must be here before the baby arrives, the rest is in the house already).

I had to drive quite a lot for work when I was pg with DC1, that was hard, travel is very wearing imo when you are pg.

Make the most of your quite days off, feet up, magazines and if you have an offer of help take it...you have a lot more on your mind with pregnancy number 1.

PhyllisDiller Thu 02-Jun-11 08:29:46

Good luck btw!!

Longtalljosie Thu 02-Jun-11 08:33:39

Hang on - just real my post back and would like to state before RL friends start getting any ideas, am not actually pregnant <ends hijack>

Longtalljosie Thu 02-Jun-11 08:34:03

read not real <ought to go back to bed blush>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: