Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Fit To Fly certificates?

(7 Posts)
KatieWatie Wed 01-Jun-11 13:04:21

Sorry if this gets asked a lot.

My travel company says I need one for a holiday in 3 weeks time.

Does anyone know what the score is with these - do I need to book a doctor's appt just to get one? I hate wasting their time if I don't need to. Also do I need to pre-warn them that I need one or do I just rock up to the appt and get one issued there and then? Also how long do they last for, if I got one now would it cover me for travel on 23rd June and back on 30th?

PrincessJenga Wed 01-Jun-11 13:12:48

I flew at 28 weeks and my doc said I wouldn't need one (just to take my pregnancy notes with me to prove how many weeks pregnant I was), but if your travel company have specified that you will need one then I think you need to call your doctors surgery or midwife and ask.

I'm sure you've done this already, but make sure your insurance covers you for the stage of pregnancy you'll be at and that it will also cover your baby if you do give birth prematurely.

LadyGoneGaga Wed 01-Jun-11 13:14:08

I booked a Dr's appt for one. And then it takes them about three days to write it and costs about £12?

You can tell them exactly what you want to be written in it so it could say Katiewatie is due on X date and will be X weeks on 23rd June. she has an umcomplicated, single pregnancy and is fit to fly.

ILoveDrKarl Wed 01-Jun-11 13:35:16

I've had these with 3 of my pregnancies and haven't paid for any of them. They are accepted from a GP or a MW - whoever is providing your care. On one occasion I had to make an appointment to get the letter and I had to get it at the hospital as my community MW wouldn't give me an appointment for it. Other times though my MW has just written it for me. You need to check with your airline what the specific conditions are - some need it to be written not more than 7 days prior to departure or specify that the return journey cannot be more than 2 weeks from date of writing. (Think that might have been Ryanair) Last summer I needed a letter for 2 holidays (4 flights there and back) and I only got asked for the letter on 1 flight out of the 4! I also carried my notes with me to prove my dates and on that 1 flight, they were requested too.

emmylou30 Wed 01-Jun-11 15:40:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

KatieWatie Wed 01-Jun-11 16:45:39

Thanks all, I rang the surgery and a receptionist (who seemed a bit surprised I was asking for one and didn't seem to really know the score) said to call in in a few days to pick it up :S

I'm not sure it's going to be adequate to be honest but we'll see...

Lynzilove Wed 01-Jun-11 20:16:07

i had one from my midwife, just a note to say how far gone i was and that i was healthy and fit to fly. didnt even need to use it, was nice to have it though. and the mw didnt charge me to write it!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: