Talk

Advanced search

Pelvic floor exercise.... struggle!

(8 Posts)
kri5ty Wed 01-Jun-11 07:53:01

Hello

Well i know where to squeeze for my pelvic floor lol, but i find it too difficult to concentrate on doing them confused

I find i do about 10 and then i get confused lol, are you ment to do them quickly, or squeeze and hold?

And i know you cant use the electric pelvic floor machines during pregnancy, but is there anything else you can use, so you know you are doing it right?

haha

apple99 Wed 01-Jun-11 08:57:13

You are supposed to do 10 squeeze and hold lifts (hold for 10 sec's) followed by 10 rapid squeeze and release lifts. 8 sets a day is what you should be aiming for.

I only seem to remember to do mine randomly so some day loads other day none, must step it up!!!

jamama Wed 01-Jun-11 09:49:35

As apple said, both slow and fast, to target the muscles that keep you in place (slow) and those which come into play when you sneeze/cough (fast).
The woman at the Pilates-based class I go to suggested either putting your hand between your legs to feel the movement (the pelvic floor muscles wrap around beneath you) or to put a finger inside if that helps and you're not squeamish about doing it to help feel and understand the movement. Of course this does preclude doing your exercises at the bus stop or your desk (unless you work in a very unusual or private office grin). I did read somewhere on here that if you can do something else whilst you're doing them, then you're not doing it properly, but I don't know if that is true or not <newbie to all this emoticon>.

kri5ty Wed 01-Jun-11 12:11:19

8 sets of 10 a day? omg i dont think i can do that lol i forget to breathe and everything when i do them!!

kri5ty Wed 01-Jun-11 12:16:50

haha well i am sat down... decided to give it a go properly (concentrating on nothing else) and its the holding it part i struggle with!! oh well i'll get there 1 rep down 7 to go.....

lol thanks girlies x

MrsMooky Wed 08-Jun-11 14:36:23

They always say 'imagine trying to stop yourself from peeing'. So.. can you just do them while you on the toilet and actually stop yourself from peeing? Seems a much easier way to check if you're doing them right but if that works, why don't they ever say to do it while you are on the loo?? Puzzled!

Woodifer Wed 08-Jun-11 15:00:56

hi - doing them while peeing is a great way to identify the muscles if you are unsure BUT - you are advised not to do this all the time as it can stop you emptying your bladder fully and could contribute towards urinary tract infection (UTI).

tak1ngchances Wed 08-Jun-11 18:42:34

You can actually sit on the lid of a toilet when doing Kegels to feel your pelvic floor contracting. My physio says it's the best way (short of putting a finger inside) as it gives good "feedback"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now