Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Irritable Uterus

(2 Posts)
confuddledDOTcom Tue 31-May-11 19:39:09

I'm 34+1 and been in hospital since Friday. I've been having tightenings since 27 weeks every day. Starts in the morning but not strong and don't cause too much problem about every 10 minutes but they get closer until the girls go to bed then I get a couple of hours at two minutes really strong and painful. They slow down then until I go to bed. About two weeks ago it picked up one evening but a bath calmed it down. Next day it started early by the evening was almost constant so went in to hospital but it calmed down and I went home after a couple of days monitoring. Been picking up daily since then last Wednesday it didn't stop at night and by Friday it was really strong all day. In the evening I got a tightening that lasted for over an hour, just the one! Came in, I'm 1cm dilated and tested positive for fibronectin but the tightenings are all over the place and not doing anything. I'm being kept in now because they're worried I'll yo-yo in and out if left at home as they're not expecting the pain to stop until she's here and I may ignore the real thing as I won't notice the change. As I'm expected to deliver early (as I always have) I'm likely to be out of here with a baby in two weeks.

Two doctors have said my uterus is irritable. This is the first time I've been told this and this is #3. Looking into what it means it sounds like me. It's got worse each pregnancy, last time my daily cycle was taking two weeks but it went on for 11 weeks.

Anyone else been through this and want to share tips or just moan?

GibberingGinger Tue 31-May-11 22:01:50

I was told I had an irritable uterus with my twins. It was a nightmare, and made me really irritable too grin. With my first pregnancy I never felt a braxton hick (hix? sp?) or a contraction until they started my on the syntocin induction drip, so I didn't have a clue what was happening when I was getting tightenings so strong that I had to breathe through them. Kept on turning up at hospital thinking I was in labour! Well it was twins, and I was aware they might come early! blush. They did the fibronectin test of me and said nothing was happening so just left me to it. The boys turned up at 35+5, by c-section after my waters broke. Surprisingly my waters breaking seemed to stop the tightenings hmm

Unfortunately don't have any advice sad In the end I just accepted it as one of those irritating things about pregnancy, like the heartburn, swollen ankles and piles! But then again my pain doesn't sound as bad as yours is, so you have my sympathy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: