Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

baby moving - feels very weird

(19 Posts)
Jill72 Mon 30-May-11 17:33:15

I am 20 weeks and had been feeling odd flicks and momentary flutters but things seems to have upped a gear and she is doing full on 'swirls' for up to a minute at a time repeated over and over for about 10 - 15 mins. The sensation is not what I expected - what is it like for everyone else?

Yukana Mon 30-May-11 18:11:13

Oh yes, definitely know the feeling. smile

I'm 29+5 and am getting a wide range of different sensations, including but not limited to:
-Feeling like one spot of my tummy is 'bloated' or 'full', it's firm to the touch as well. I expect it is because baby is there and pressed against that spot.
-Getting not very pleasant (though I still find it sweet anyway) kicks to the bladder and ahem cervix/nether regions. It hurts and you get a powerful 'Ooh!' sort of feeling. Kind of like when you feel like your bladder is about to burst for a second!
-Random wriggling around, perhaps seeing your tummy move at times.
-Tummy shaking when the LO hiccups/does whatever it's doing at the time.
-Powerful kicks that stop me in my tracks.
-Getting sharp pains/kicks when I'm lying on a side the baby doesn't seem to appreciate, which I then have to shift to make myself more comfortable.

Joys of pregnancy. grin

Scheherezadea Mon 30-May-11 18:19:24

Am 20 weeks aswell, I can't really feel movements but I get full on kicks that can be seen & felt by my DP!

whackamole Mon 30-May-11 23:23:35

I'm almost 20 weeks on my 2nd pregnancy.

Am really not feeling a lot of movement at all - but on thinking about it have realised I am feeling a lot of sharp pains quite low down in my pelvis, rather than round my belly.

I have my 20 week scan next week so I will bring it up then as it is worrying for me. I was convinced at my midwife's appointment last week she was going to give me bad news but thankfully the heartbeat was strong and clear.

Jill72 Tue 31-May-11 08:38:59

It's hard to know what is 'normal' as a first timer!! When she does this it is really low down and I feel like everything is about to drop out!! I get really confused as to where she is and I think I expected to feel her much higher up rather than really low down. Logically I suppose gravity will bring to the lowest point??

davidtennantsmistress Tue 31-May-11 08:46:00

yes as yuk says i'm 28 weeks today & have a lot of low kicks on the cervix - incl a lot of heavy lays down there.

He also doesn't like when I lay on my left side (hefty hefty kicks breath taking almost) but on my back i can't breath - have panic/anxiety type attacks where the baby is apparently laying on a major vessle. hmm

other times kicks are really high and feel like my ribs, either way i'm just glad he's not kicking my appendix scar any more as that day I could hardly walk.

Renaissance227 Tue 31-May-11 10:51:09

I can't wait for all of this. I'm 19 weeks at the min and only feel the odd wriggle or a firm spot when the baby is on one side. I have felt three kicks but then only the odd movement since then. Can't wait to feel more.

ShowOfHands Tue 31-May-11 10:56:52

I don't think anybody's ever found an adequate way of explaining what it feels like other than it's like a baby in your uterus.

It's the oddest feeling. And what is really weird is how defined it becomes over time. So a kick is clearly a kick, hands/fingers feel different, a roll is another thing entirely, them stretching is obvious, hiccups are quite defined as rhythmic, jerky feelings, breech babies tap dance on your cervix, ceph ones kick your ribs. I found it absolutely fascinating. If not a little uncomfortable.

Jill72 Tue 31-May-11 11:46:56

Well - she has been at it all round asda!! THERE IS NO DOUBT SOMEONE IS IN THERE!!! LOL!!

yoshimigalloway Tue 31-May-11 11:49:55

I'm 24 weeks. I had a few days last week when i felt a lot of movement at the front round my belly button. This week I haven't felt as much. i can still feel wriggles when i lay still and it seems to me deeper inside me and lower down, my bump seems to be smaller today. Could it be that the baby has turned around?

I definatley can't tell the difference between different types of movemets. It does like my partners voice though and a few times has responded to that.

Cattleprod Tue 31-May-11 11:53:02

Just wait til you get to about 35 weeks and it feels like someone is slowly rotating a brillo pad on your cervix!!

20something movements are lovely. I'm feeling more and more at 19 weeks.

WaspsAnkles Tue 31-May-11 14:12:00

Am 26 weeks with apparently very active LO - he's been making himself felt for the past 6 weeks already.

I get a lot of different ones as well, though I can't really tell which bodypart is sticking out at any particular point. I keep describing the smaller ones as feeling almost like muscle twitches like you get them on your thighs sometimes but the harder ones really make the tummy shake in all directions. I'm finding the double kicks most impressive when he seems to be kicking on both sides of the bump simultaneously (I assume feet and head - though have been joking about KungFu like split kicks).

Definately agree that the lower ones in the cervix/bladder regions can be quite uncomfortable and take you by surprise. Can't quite imagine how he can get even stronger but I guess I'm in for some good kicking yet.

davidtennantsmistress Tue 31-May-11 21:52:15

grin glad the LO enjoyed asda.

am yet to work out different movements or hiccups & stuff. maybe I have too much flab lol.

have worked out today baby hates me laying on my left hand side as that's how he lays - ie his back is along my left side so he obviously doesn't like being on his back. hmm gremlin already lol.

lolajane2009 Tue 31-May-11 22:23:10

I'm just over 2 weeks and at about 18/19 weeks it used to feel like he was dragging furniture around in there but now it is kicks and in the llast week or so he has taken to trying to force his head against the skin under my belly button... very painful.

funniest movements are the hiccups though... wake me up sometimes though.

KatieWatie Wed 01-Jun-11 11:25:03

I'm 22wks and totally oblivious to the different kinds of kicks and movements (but then, I'm totally oblivious to everything really!). To me it just feels like a muscle twitch - can't really see it from the outside but it does make the bath water ripple so there must be something happening!

lolajane2009 Wed 01-Jun-11 12:31:17

lol mine should read 24 weeks not 2 weeks

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 01-Jun-11 12:35:12

My best friend who's 21 weeks or so described the early feelings to me the other day as 'like when the goldfish in the plastic bag swims against the side and changes direction'.

I love the early sensations. Later, when you can see the movements from the outside, is a bit freaky. I remember last time, talking to my quite intimidating boss and trying to concentrate on the finer details of the case he was referring to me, and being aware that just below eye level a tiny hand was making my belly poke up into hillocks. So funny.

Cattleprod Wed 01-Jun-11 12:51:54

I've spoken to various friends about kicks and we all agree it is a good indicator of the type of personality your baby will have. DS was very gentle, with pushes rather than kicks, and is now a very laid-back 3 year old. Friends babies that kicked and wiggled loads tend to be more feisty and energetic when they come out too!

lolajane2009 Wed 01-Jun-11 13:16:48

my baby won't behave on the scans, lying completely still, and makes audible kicks at the dopplers but rest of the tim loves to kick, headbutt and punch... there may be trouble ahead.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: