Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Depressed, first trimester and working ... Too much?

(10 Posts)
adewonder Sun 29-May-11 19:06:53

I'd love some opinions on this. I've had depression for 15+ years, all sorts of meds, hospital stays, eating disorders, self harm etc. I now work with vulnerable families with multiple issues providing an intensive support service, which is hard work - physically risky on occasion, mostly emotionally challenging as I hear a lot of unhappiness and take a lot of sh%$ from other professionals and service users. I was finding it tough, so back on anti - deps, open with management who are supportive as they are able too. Now I'm nearly 10 weeks pregnant too. So I'm shattered, sick and anxious about that too. Due to being pregnant, my gp and I discussed the meds, and I stopped them under his supervision, almost as soon as I found out.
How much can I cope with? I know it's different for everybody, but seems like I should be tougher some how. Other pregnant women work full time don't they? And they manage. Am I being a wuss or am I right to think perhaps I need to quit or try to get another role that's less demanding? Anyone in similar dilemma?

recklesspixie Sun 29-May-11 20:27:30

adewonder I'm sorry you're going though such a tough time, I found work really hard in the first trimester so you are not alone. Could you take some time off? sounds like you've a very stressful job and need to relax a bit, I'm sure your GP would give you a cert for a week or two til you get your energy back? you'll be amazed at how much better you will start to feel in a few weeks x

Guitargirl Sun 29-May-11 20:30:49

Of course many women work full-time whilst pregnant but it all depends on your own individual circumstances. Early pregnancy is of course tiring, but then so is late pregnancy and life with a small child.

If the job you are in is contributing to your depression then I would advise having a good think about whether it is the job for you - pregnant or not.

Thornykate Sun 29-May-11 22:52:07

If you start feeling worse go back to GP or CMH team as many women continue anti depressants during pg if required. Did you come off the meds quickly as that may have an effect too?

Don't know if you have joined an antenatal thread on MN but maybe take a look as it might reassure you that most women struggle in 1st trimester & those with demanding jobs do feel it's too much sometimes. Please don't add to your situation by thinking everyone else is feeling great with it as many aren't.

All the best for your health & your pregnancy.

PinkFondantFancy Mon 30-May-11 09:03:34

I just wanted to second what thornykate said. You DEFINITELY aren't being a wuss if you try to find an alternative, less challenging role, or if your GP signs you off for a few weeks.

Hormoneoverload Mon 30-May-11 15:31:54

No one gets any medals for doing stuff during pregnancy. Don't look at other people-for some working full time while pg is straightforward, for others impossible. Work put what you need. You're doing well.

Wottywot Mon 30-May-11 15:57:44

I continued anti depressants in my last pregnancy and am doing so this time, my Dr and consultant seem fine about it. You arent being a wuss. Pregnancy is one thing, a stressful job another and on top of that coming off your meds. Just be careful to not overdo it. The 1st timester is tough, I am 20 weeks and still can't go a day without a sleep in the afternoon. I don't know how I would manage a full time job alongside it tbh.

KatyN Mon 30-May-11 18:51:18

I'm taking my anti depressants too. I was referred to a consultant before we started trying beacuse I've not be able to cope without them for 14 years now. I have to stagger my dose but I still get the same amount every day.
That said during my first trimester I thought I was going off the rails again. I cried every night and just felt dreadful. I was in bed every moment I asn't working and tht worried me that I was slipping down the slope again.

I sould suggest that you go to your GP and takl about it. maybe giong back on the meds.. maybe a diff one. They might also be able to support you. rather than sign you off full time there is a new thingy where they say you are fit to work part time..

It does get better as time goes on, but there's no point doing yourself in now.

katy

adewonder Mon 30-May-11 20:38:36

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it helps when my boss is always telling us how she hasn't had a day off in ten years and worked until (as she tells it) her daughter was part way out..competitive office environs.
I will go back to my gp for another talk as suggested(I do feel sorry for him sometimes, I think his face drops when I walk thru the door.)
Thanks all x

Wottywot Mon 30-May-11 20:49:50

LOL ade don't worry, thats his job. As for your boss, take no notice, thats her choice not to have a break and I am sure her kids won't appreciate it when they get a bit older when she has no time to spend with them.
Remember pregnancy is a big life change and when you come off the meds it does need to be a time when you feel settled and secure. Maybe it's not just the right time at the moment. I feel bad advertising about AD's but tbh I don't know what I would have done without them. I also didn't get any post natal depression which is another thing to think about if coming off them. x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: