Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Baby blankets

(9 Posts)
Beesok Sun 29-May-11 16:13:16

OK so I have spent 2 whole days at home bored out of my mind with a terrible cold so pls forgive me for the dumb questions - I am not due until Oct but somehow OBSESSING about baby blankets smile

How many do you actually need for a winter baby?

I really want a nice cashmere one - I know, I know they're expensive but I think would be pretty useful in cold weather and am in love with the ocabini striped ones smile

Then maybe a few cellular ones for the crib?

What about sleeping bags? Can you use them with newborns?

Thanks ladies smile

Cattleprod Sun 29-May-11 16:19:54

One for the buggy. One for snuggling. Yes you can use sleeping bags with newborns, except tiny premmie babies. Check the weight range on the label and make sure the baby can't wiggle down inside. You might need a couple of blankets for the crib, depending on how warm your house is.

I like handknitted and hand crocheted granny square blankets best. Very retro and made with love!!

Beesok Sun 29-May-11 16:25:20

thanks Cattleprod our house is relatively warm but was thinking of getting some cellular blankets in white and a granny style one sounds nice actually! Only I don't think the "Grannies" will be making any ;) I will ask my mum to make a canopy for the crib with crochet detailing (she's good at that) so maybe will convince her to make a blanket too smile

Cattleprod Sun 29-May-11 16:31:33

I'm planning on making one myself. I'm a complete novice at crocheting but have made 5 squares so far and it's quite fun!

It's probably a good idea to have a few spare blankets as they will inevitably end up covered in sick and wee and you'll have to wash them quite often!!

HandMini Sun 29-May-11 16:41:52

I wouldn't normally recommend this shop as think it's really overpriced, but the Mamas and Papas cellular blankets are nice and come in a range of good colours.

joshandjamie Sun 29-May-11 16:49:32

Get a Baby Hoodie from Morrck - brilliant for in buggies, carseats, supermarket trolleys. And I'd get a swaddling blanket for sleeping at home with one or two others for over the top/have one spare.

Beesok Sun 29-May-11 19:22:08

Thanks Handmini and joshandjamie !
Actually the baby hoodie seems like a good alternative to snow suits? I am thinking I probably might need one but I guess this could be useful when I am moving in and out of warm/cold temps?

joshandjamie Sun 29-May-11 19:39:48

The hoodie is also safer than a snowsuit as you shouldn't put babies in thick coats in car seats, something I didn't know. And you don't end up with a blanket dragging on the ground when used in a buggy. I'm a bit of a fan and buy them for all my new mum friends :-)

Brasso4 Sun 29-May-11 20:04:32

We loved our Morrck baby hoodie, in fact went out and bought a bigger one now that our DD is a toddler - I would highly recommend them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: