Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Regular tightenings in lower tummy-29 weeks

(8 Posts)
oinkyoink Sun 29-May-11 08:37:53

Hi I am 29 wks pregnant and was out last night for dinner w dh when I started getting regular cramping in my lower tummy. I felt uncomfortable but I wasn't in pain. It really worried me as I thought it would lead to proper contractions (had early contractions at 30 wks in last pregnancy). I called hospital and told midwife she said to go head home take paracetamol and rest. I'm really worried it'll happen again. Does anyone know what it was? Was it proper contractions? I did go to bed and they did go but still I want to know more... Anyone?

YouCantTeuchThis Sun 29-May-11 08:44:49

Drink plenty of water - I found that I had more Braxton Hicks when I was dehydrated and I also had a couple of bouts of cystitis/urine infections which caused cramping.

I also had early contractions (and lost mucous plug) at around 24 weeks but it thankfully came to nothing. It made me very aware of every twinge so I totally sympathise.

Not sure what the paracetamol is meant to do? confused

oinkyoink Sun 29-May-11 09:29:51

Thanks- I came home and drank lots of water so maybe that helped too. It was scary as they were coming every 5 minutes... Really hoping they don't come back now. Fingers crossed.

jellyvodkas Sun 29-May-11 09:37:42

They sound to me quite the normal Braxton Hicks contractions ...which start in the last Trimester. Its your uterus practicing for Labour..
Read up in your pregnancy book about them to find out more.
You feel you stomach going really tight (like a well blown up football) and a bit uncomfortable. I found with all my 3 pregnancies they came on with exertion , like climbing upstairs.
As your midwife said....rest when you think its necessary. Always speak to mw when you are worried.
Wishing you all the best and hope it all runs smoothly...

Booboostoo Sun 29-May-11 16:51:01

I've been having 30-40 B-H a day for the last two and a half months. They have been getting progressively stronger but not painful, they make me desperate for the toilet even if I have just been and are a general nuisance, but they are supposed to be normal...some women are just lucky enough not to feel them! Mine are so strong you can see them!!!

theonlyhb2 Sun 29-May-11 17:55:40

do you think thats what I am having then, when I walk too much (more than a minute!) i get like a stitch in my side. and I always get tightening at the bottom right hand side, just under my bump (28 weeks now). I have to walk SO slow, its truly ridic

littlebrighteyes Sun 29-May-11 21:38:18

yes i keep getting stitchs when i walk a bit -and have to go really slow.

i find when ive been walking thats when the bh start up.....

YouCantTeuchThis Sun 29-May-11 22:41:53

I had terrible sticth when walking - belly band helped enormously!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: