Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I've finally packed my hospital bag, have I forgotten anything?

(18 Posts)
PrisonerZero Sat 28-May-11 21:56:12

About time I got it sorted, I am 38+ weeks!

I have packed:

Nighty with buttons
PJs with buttons
10 Maternity pads
4 pairs of throw away knickers
Nursing bra
Breast Pads
Bath Towel
Toiletries - tooth brush, de-oderante etc
Lip balm
Paracetamol/Ibuprofin/Rennies

3 baby vests
3 baby grows
2 cardies
2 pair of scratch mitts and socks
hat
Outfit with jacket for coming home
10 nappies
Cotton wool/wipes

Camera and charger
Ipod and earphones
Book
Mobile phone charger
Change for machines or car parking
Emergency taxi money

Maternity notes.

Still got to get some snacks and drinks, but have I forgotton anything essential?
Will get DP to bring me in some coming home clothes when he picks me up as I will be running out of room in my bag! Bet he brings a random pair of skinny jeans or something hmm maybe better sort out what I need and put them where he can see them!

NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 22:01:30

Baby wipes?
Slippers are a good idea too as the floors can be a bit manky and you won't want to keep putting your shoes on.

PukeyRag Sat 28-May-11 22:13:52

Personally I don't think you'll even use half of this, but then everyone's different.

One thing you've missed is blankets for baby, I had two or three, not only to keep her warm but because hospital ones just aren't as nice. Get an extra extra soft one smile Also agree with the slippers.

Gethsemane Sat 28-May-11 22:16:18

Flip flops - then you can wear them in the shower too!

wigglesrock Sat 28-May-11 22:19:03

Flip flops or slippers, a pair of socks for yourself, sometimes I got really cold feet in labour hmm You'll need some more pads if you're staying in more than 1 day/night. Just leave some at home and dp can bring them if you need them, deffo leave clothes out for him or wear home what you wear in? Good luck

mrsfollowill Sat 28-May-11 22:25:39

From my own experience- slippers - but big 'sloppy' ones- I took a pair of moccasin type and my feet were massively swollen so they wouldn't fit. Or take some flip-flops then you can leave them on in the shower (hospital shower room made me shudder)
I also went through loads of mat pads as bled very heavily. As I had never changed a nappy in my life before I had PFB I went through loads of nappies as i kept ballsing up changing him blush
I took books/mags etc but never opened them as was either asleep or gazing in awe at PFB. Good luck and enjoy your lovely new babe!

mummynoseynora Sat 28-May-11 22:29:15

I would be taking many more maternity pads than that, but other than that its not bad

Ilovekittyelise Sun 29-May-11 08:30:48

you forgot wine hehehehe. good luck, im 25 weeks and already starting to worry about mine!

mynameis Sun 29-May-11 08:46:40

Prob won't need the paracetomol as it will provided on your request.
Flip flops definitely

Jacksterbear Sun 29-May-11 08:55:16

More disposable or cheapy knickers. Slippers not flip flops in case u have cs, you'll have those awful surgical stockings and won't be able to wear flip flops. Also make sure u can get the slippers on without having to bend over, for the same reason! Also make sure you can actually lift the bag, in case u are on your own (learnt this the hard way!), maybe have one small emergency bag with the absolute essentials and one bigger one with the more luxury things.

rooks14 Sun 29-May-11 11:25:07

I haven't done mine yet, (30+5w). But on these threads I saw quite a good suggestion of a spare t-shirt & boxers for dad! If you have a straightforward labour etc and go home the next day, it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to have something he hasn't spent all night being sweaty in!

dribbleface Sun 29-May-11 11:29:09

yep flipflops are a must and slippers for padding around in.

Blanket for baby - not gonna share the whole sorry tale but needed one for DS and has to send DH home for one (missed of system, they thought i'd gone home but in fact was in side room).

emjanedel Sun 29-May-11 12:06:24

My MIL bought me the slipper sock things and they were great.

With the extra things i put - babygrows, vests, clothes for me, maternity pads etc on a chair upstairs in the baby's room and said to DP - i need x its on the chair and he managed that. If i had said i need knickers or a t-shirt he wouldn't know where to start looking.

Ask your mum or someone you know who will visit once baby is born to bring you some naughty treats. My mum bought me my favourite packed sandwhish and SIL bought gifts for baby and then said here is a bag of treats and that got me through the hospital stay (i had em-cs).

PrisonerZero Mon 30-May-11 21:09:19

Brilliant thanks smile

I bought a baby shawl from Asda today, plus some juice and cereal bars so thats gone in.

Socks/Slippers/Flipflops - totally forgot about my feet (probably because I cant see them!)

More maternity pads - will squeeze some in.

I can lift the bag just about grin

EllieUK Mon 30-May-11 21:18:40

You mean if i manage to survive pregnancy ive gotta give birth, feed and clothe the little tyke?!?..talk about ur fine print..grin

hellymelly Mon 30-May-11 21:23:08

big cotton pants in case you end up with a c-section.Marks do waist high ones, ("full briefs") get them several sizes too big. they won't roll down or rub on the scar and if you have a natural delivery they are masses nicer to wear than disposables,and they come in black. Magazines are good as if you are in for a while you will want something to read but your brain won't cope with a novel.You don't need breast pads for days,not until your milk comes in,so I would leave those out. Do you really need a towel? I was in for nearly ten days and didn't need one-I must have had hospital ones. I did get DH to bring my pillow in,as hosp ones are horrible,but I wouldn't pack that!

Thornykate Mon 30-May-11 22:52:11

I would leave the painkillers at home too. If you are taking your own medicines without staff knowing you could end up having a problem if you become ill & they give you medicines too.

MotherPanda Wed 01-Jun-11 14:19:27

Throw in an extra pack of maternity pads smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: