Talk

Advanced search

No weight gain - 30 weeks :(

(8 Posts)
Coppernoddle Sat 28-May-11 15:22:21

Not that I'm worried, as I know baby is thriving!!! And this is my third pregnancy. But this pregnancy has been different (first two children- girls, this baby -boy) but I suffered severely from hypremises in early pregnancy and have only just recovered my weight to my original pre baby weight of 9.5st.

Im worried that when I have baby, I'll drop too much weight and have no reserves for breast feeding! My first I put on 2.5 st and my second put on 3st. I'm growing nicely on the 50th centime so I know baby should be about average size!

Oh and I'm eating like a horse!!!! smile

allegrageller Sat 28-May-11 15:30:16

I reckon you'll be fine...just thin!! :D as you say if baby is fine you're ok. And I think you'd have to be skeletal to have no reserves for bfing.

Cake, cake, cake!!! :D

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Sat 28-May-11 15:51:47

As you say, the baby will take what he needs from you. I worked for a bit in a developing country where hyperemesis seemed more prevalent than in the UK and the diets of pregnant women were extremely poor. Certainly, maternal and perinatal mortality rates were shocking. However, amongst mothers and babies who survived, successful breastfeeding rates were higher than anywhere in the UK, even though formula was readily available.

From my own experience, though, of returning to pre-pregnancy weight very soon after giving birth, you might want to keep an eye on your iron levels.

nickelbabe Sat 28-May-11 15:52:32

are you quite active, though?

my dance teacher lost 4lbs (or it might have been more) in her second pregnancy because of all the dancing...

nickelbabe Sat 28-May-11 15:53:06

and i think most of your weight gain is in the last 10 weeks anyway, so you're okay.
smile

Coppernoddle Sat 28-May-11 17:53:58

Thanks smile
I was very active before my pregnancy but due to spd (on crutches can't move much) and grade 4 placenta previa ( not allowed to do much) I pretty much sit on my ass!!! I guess I'll put weight on in the next few weeks and count myself lucky that I won't have too much to loose after smile

Breastmilkdoesafablatte I watched a tv program not so long ago about a midwife going to Africa thinking she would be going back to basics but was the complete opposite! And the state of the women were horrendous and they still managed to carry, birth and feed! I think sometimes were in a bit of a bubble and underestimate our bodies!

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Sun 29-May-11 15:14:53

<I watched a tv program not so long ago about a midwife going to Africa thinking she would be going back to basics but was the complete opposite! >

What was it called? I'd be interested to watch it if it's online anywhere. I can imagine it'd ring very true. For all that the community I worked in had horrendous problems with nutrition, sanitation and female education, there was also a very confident, normalised view of childbearing as a meaningful life event. Women went into labour conditioned to believe that it wouldn't hurt and tended to have shorter and more straightforward deliveries as a result. Certainly, when things went wrong (malpresentations, PPHs etc) there were horrific tragedies, but I still believe that there was a lot which took place that was very right, and would have a lot to teach the West.

Sorry, I'll climb off my soapbox now...

Coppernoddle Tue 31-May-11 20:09:52

Sorry not replied, I've been in hospital with my daughter, a tonsillectomy that went wrong! Got the shock of my life when I woke to give her med's and she was lying in a pool of blood!

Anyway, I think we watched the same program! It was a real eye opener! Felt really sorry for every single one of those women being robbed of their experiences and sometimes life! When the midwifes pushed the baby out and the lady hemerages was shocking to think that they didn't learnf rom there mistakes despite being told by the head midwife not to do it! It sounds like you had the opportunity of a lifetime to be able to have that experience and I'm glad it was a nice one for you! That's how it should be! I had a home birth for my second and must say, even though second time is easier, it was amazing, relaxing and one of the best experiences of my life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now