Advanced search

Taking antibiotic whilst PG

(4 Posts)
eve34 Sat 28-May-11 09:57:03

Good morning all. This might be a bit long but some advice would be appreciated.

Several months ago I had a bactrical infection it started with a very sore cervix. I was given antibiotics and this sorted it out.

I have the feeling it is starting again so went to the GP. I am currently 9/10 weeks pg.

GP advised me that they do not advise giving AB in high doses and it was up to me if I wanted to take them. There is no alternative to take.

The Ab are metronidazole 400mg twice a day.

According to the book a high dose would be 1,200mg.

At the moment it isn't as sore as it has been, but maybe I am trying to make myslef think that. An infection is not going to go away.

I talked to DP last night and he also said it was my decision.

Think I will talk to the chemist today and see what they say, but any experience would be nice to hear.


Coppernoddle Sat 28-May-11 11:58:06

Can you not take a pregnancy safe antibiotic for a longer period rather than higher? I'm allergic to penicillin so I take chlarithromisin which is a safe anti biotic. If I were you, I would ask your gp to emergency transfer you to a gyne or one of the consultants in maternity as they may have other ways of dealing with things like this! A gp's knowledge is very generalized and are very good, but not specialists in one area. Maybe speak to someone in that field! Good luck x

PrincessScrumpy Sat 28-May-11 13:10:27

I think I would try to get passed the 12 weeks stage. With dd1 I wouldn't have touched them but with this pg I've just been on antibiotics for a urine infection - the infection irritated my uterous and I was having tightenings at 21w. Twin pg too so I'm classed as high risk. I was on them for 5 days aand all is fine. Can't tell you what they were called as I've thrown the box away. I think gps are worried that if anything happened you would blame them so try to avoid any prescriptions.

eve34 Sat 28-May-11 16:43:12

Thank you for the replies. I did ask if there was an alternative the GP said not, as you say they are very good but not specific so could talk to midwife maybe if I had one! Will contact GP again next week. Feeling ok at the moment so can hold off for a few days.

Princess hope all is well now for you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: