Talk

Advanced search

Itchiness is driving me literally insane!

(7 Posts)
BrassicaBabe Fri 27-May-11 22:35:34

Help! I've got all over itchiness that is going to drive me to insanity.

I'm 32 weeks with non-id twins. I had a blood test 3 weeks ago which ruled out obstetric cholestasis (liver problems) which is good. But I need some relief!

It gets worse in the evening/night. I feel like Princess and the Pea, I can feel every little bobble and crinkle in the bed sheets so I'm struggling to sleep. I can't abide jeans etc by this time of night, even soft yoga pants aren't comfortable. I'm having to sleep in my dressing gown, withouth the duvet on, or on the leather sofa because it's smooth and cool. I've even taken to driving randomly around just to take my mind off it.

It's not itchiness I need to scratch, just itchiness that means I'm uncomfortable in my own skin.

Any and all advice welcome!

AJH2007 Fri 27-May-11 22:45:06

I would definitely go back and get your blood tested again - the consultant told me that OC is not usually diagnosed pre around 33 weeks and the itching can develop before the liver levels go up.
Even if it's not OC, they should be able to prescribe some medicated cream which may help. Good luck!

Rootatoot Fri 27-May-11 22:51:13

ohh you poor thing. Good it's not OC but still bluddy annoying! You could try some oatmeal in your bath. Keep temperature coolish and don't use any toiletries that could aggrevate it. My MIL asked her homeopath recently about soothing remedies for my nephew who had chickenpox. She said the oatmeal in bath or else bicarb of soda disolved in baths. Said don't use calamine lotion as it soothes when its first put on but then when it dries, it irritates.Can't vouch for them personally but sort of makes sense. Get yourself something lovely and floaty to wear. Big floaty maxi dress or something!?

Valpollicella Fri 27-May-11 22:53:02

Definately back to the doc/midwife whoever. This level of itchiness is Not Normal

Can you get some camomile lotion tomorrow to see you through the weekend|?

BrassicaBabe Fri 27-May-11 23:35:03

Thanks guys. I'm back at hosp this Wednesday. I'll push a bit harder this time hmm

I'm tired and want to go to get, but know there is no point going until I literally cannot move with tiredness otherwise the itchyness will just wake me up again sad

Chaotica Fri 27-May-11 23:48:12

Camomile lotion gives a bit of relief. As do oats in the bath. And my consultant told me to take piriton (Not the non-drowsy formula as you can't take that in pg) - that helped a bit more as I got some sleep. Dermatologists were worse than useless and gave me steroid creams (which didn't work).

Ultimately all that helped was having DS. By then I looked like a burns victim with chicken pox and psorisis. It was not a good look.

Nanny01 Sat 28-May-11 00:16:56

Eurax check if you can have that, dd had it perscribed for chicken pox it really is good and helps the skin repair itself with a barrier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now