Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Lactulose in pregnancy

(9 Posts)
Saffra Fri 27-May-11 12:13:36

Is it ok to continue to use lactulose in pregnancy? As in, every week??

I have used it 3 times so far over the space of maybe a month, and wondered if my body will become dependent on it.

???

(p.s. it's for constipation, just in case I need to point that one out!!!)

3littlefrogs Fri 27-May-11 12:20:11

Lactulose is fine. Much safer than other types of laxatives. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and drink lots of water too.

Saffra Fri 27-May-11 12:22:55

As a veggie, I do probably consume more fruit/veg than most. I'm just wondering where it's all going to!

jasmine51 Fri 27-May-11 18:28:21

Have been taking lactulose every day for the past couple of months - was prescibed and is perfectly ok during pg. No your body will not become dependant on it, normal service resumes after with no problems as long as you remain hydrated and well fibred up.

Ilovekittyelise Fri 27-May-11 19:13:48

lactulose is fine. i dont know how far through you are, but i found constipation eased off towards the end of the first trimester. im now about 25 weeks and drink as much water as i can and eat a tonne of fruit (always starving, try and eat fruit first and dont turn to chocolate until im desperate!). Im also veggie, goodness know what happened to all my poop in the first trimester!!!

Beccy2011 Fri 27-May-11 20:17:31

It's fine smile

Although when I've taken it, it doesn't really help (remains good practice for labour iykwim!!!)

josieangel Fri 27-May-11 21:02:59

Perfectly safe, I have been prescribed this along with Senna tablets by my doctor for the same problem. Other tips from experienced mums include orange juice and liquorice!

aethelfleda Fri 27-May-11 21:29:41

Don't forget pruuuuunes! (gotta love 'em)

LunaticFringe Fri 27-May-11 21:32:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: